Clear all

blues guitar improv

12 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter

a couple of weeks ago i posted a question about the blues scale - and i had some exellent answers which were very helpful. anyway just to show that i do listen to peoples answers here is a vid of a one off improv i did just before my babies bathtime tonight.

1. it is rubbish - but i did try to use the blues scale all over the neck of the guitar
2. even though i was using the blues scale i didnt get a blues sound - which makes me think i am emphasising the wrong notes. any suggestions on this would be great

3. i learned through this that i cannot use the natural minor scale as a sub for the blues scale (at 40s muscle memory made me do this - it sounds terrible). i will analyse the chord progression of the backing track to see why the b and f notes dont work.

4. i even tried to sneak a sweep lick in there - see if you can spot it. :lol:

seriously though, i know you guys are experienced players and this is just beginners stuff to you, but i had a great time doing it anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKJ1Zoj0v6A this is the link

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 31/07/2008 5:33 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter

i am 100% positive you could. i was kinda looking for some constructive criticism though - i do need the help 8)

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."

Posted : 31/07/2008 5:48 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter

cheers derek. i actually misread your first reply as "i could do better", which is why i asked for constructive criticism. sorry. i must blame my dislexia! (i know thats a cop out).

thanks for watching. Al

Posted : 31/07/2008 6:02 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

seriously though, i know you guys are experienced players and this is just beginners stuff to you, but i had a great time doing it anyway.

For one, we are all learning at some point or another, so never be embarassed about your skill level, and two, as long as you're having fun making music, that's all that matters! 8)

Keep at it. The more you jam with those backing tracks, the better you'll get. :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 01/08/2008 1:19 am
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

hey man. you play the same way most of us do. really. up and down the neck, hammer ons, bends, pull offs.
we go that. we got feel and groove too.
what we don't have is a cool ass band backing our blues licks. oops can I say that word?
one thing that sets really good licks from most of ours is phrasing and neat little surprises.
like a ninth note thrown in a regular scale. using the picking hand to alter notes is cool.
like harmonics, bending harmonics.
one thing that seems lost in modern guitar licks is melody.
I have been listening to western swing players. really bluesy jazzy stuff.
diminshed and augmented chord scales. then a standard blues lick is tossed in and ...amazing.

howz that for some ideas. :note2:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 01/08/2008 2:11 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I thought you had a whole bunch of blues souding moments in there. There was no mistake about it. You were playing some blues. A little 50's rock thrown in a few times, but that was kewl bananas.

I apoligize for not being able to help at all. I'm just trying to learn lead nowadays myself.

Keep on rockin!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 01/08/2008 2:48 am
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter

thanks for watching guys - and dogbite - some good tips - cheers. have a good weekend.

Posted : 01/08/2008 5:59 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Cool improv! 8)

It seems to me that you go and back and perhaps some parts or licks were similar to another ones. Sometimes the recommendation is to start with 'low tension' and increase the tension in each new cycle. Perhaps one of that books on blues lick gives you some ideas.

Thanks for sharing.

Posted : 01/08/2008 9:36 am
(@lpc1996)

It didn't sound too bad. You have the idea and that's the important part. My suggestion is to try to not play up and down the neck. Learn one position really well and then start expanding the range. There are TON of blues licks in 1 position of the minor pentatonic. Try to find as many of them as you can and then start worrying about going up and down the neck.

Also, you might want to slow down the backing track, just a hair, and speed it up as the scales becomes 2nd nature.

Good job.

Posted : 01/08/2008 1:51 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

hey alman, nice playing. :D As for some tips, hope this helps:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loqsHUU5Wd4

Posted : 01/08/2008 7:09 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter

thanks guys for the great advice, i will do another one in a couple of months to hopefully show some serious improvement. And ignar, thanks again for that clip. cheers man!

Posted : 03/08/2008 7:19 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter

actually, my last reply was a little to brief to do justice to the amount of work you put into that video. it is massively appreicated - thanks very much!!

Posted : 03/08/2008 7:38 pm