Clear all

Burnfoot Dazzle Live 11/8/08

15 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Well, my band Burnfoot Dazzle played at the firehouse in East Hartland, Ct. this last Saturday. It rained like crazy, seems to happen to us every time. We could hire out as Rain-makers and make a fortune! :D

Anyway, here are some of the songs on Soundclip. We had a very poor mix, the vocals were very loud (especially me), and you can barely hear my guitar at all. We had a former member Scott Wittlesey sit in with us. He was a great guy and player.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=853376

The ten songs shown are from this show.

We still have a long way to go, but I think you can hear an improvement with You Really Got Me and Comfortably Numb from our show back in July.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 18/11/2008 10:35 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Thanks for posting the link, Wes.
I remember the last time you showed pictures . . . it had rained . . . bummer.
I went immediately to Comfortably Numb and it was better and got better towards the end.
I also didn't have the Tom Petty song in iTunes . . . so thanks for discovering that one for me . . . it's there now.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 18/11/2008 11:55 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

hey thanks Wes. you guys sound good. I really like the Petty song. too bad the recording does not do you all justice.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 19/11/2008 11:53 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Thanks for sharing Wes :D

I've listened a couple of songs. I'll listen all the list. The sound is good, it is not a studio recording but it is pretty good for a live playing!

It seems a nice and funny day (independent on the rain).

Posted : 19/11/2008 12:39 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks everyone :D

Yeah, our band could seriously hire out as rain-makers, every time we play it pours!

It was a poor recording, and I don't think that the mix was completely to blame. We placed the condenser mics on a stand that holds two mics in a V shape to record stereo. We placed them pretty much aimed right at the FOH speakers. Trust me, we were plenty loud and the vocals did not sound over the instruments on the back line, in fact I turned my guitar down. We sounded good in the monitors too (well, as good as my crusty voice can sound). :D

It wasn't intended to be a serious recording, we just like to hear how we played, really points out areas where we need work. Hopefully we will be better next time.

Thanks again,

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 20/11/2008 7:56 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Very enjoyable Wes. You guys sound really tight. Look forward to hearing more. 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 22/11/2008 1:23 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I ran across a song that Burnfoot Dazzle must add to their list of songs.
Who'll Stop the Rain? . . . mostly C and G chords.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 24/12/2008 4:22 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Wow, cant believe I never responded to this. Just checked Back to the USSR again, having a little one-person-party in my hotel room. :D Will check the rest during my stay here!

Posted : 24/12/2008 8:24 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

Ignar - your not the only one surprised to have missed this. i tend to only look here every few weeks and then listen to as many as i can in one go when the house is quiet and i have a beer in my hand - this post must have somehow been slipped in between my visits and i missed it.

Wes - you guys do sound great and i am especially impressed with the guitar tones you produce, they really suit the song. do you have some sort of amp modeller like line 6 - or some floorboard with presets in??
i would be very interested to here what you set up is?

p.s last time i checked out your soundclick you did a cover of mustang sally - has that been dropped from the set list? its one of my fave jukebox tunes :D

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 01/01/2009 7:25 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I could be off but from what I remember Wes uses a strat and some Fender tube amp, unless he changed that ofcourse. Where is he anyway? Wes? Come out wherever you are...

Posted : 01/01/2009 9:20 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Sorry, I didn't know anybody had responded to this thread.

Actually, it's hard to hear my guitar on many of these songs. I was using my Fender American Telecaster with Fender Hot Rod Deluxe amp. For overdrive I was using either a Behringer TO800 or Boss DS-1. I also used an old Arion Flanger such as the solo on I Saw Her Standing There and Things We Said Today. I used a Danelectro PB & J Delay for delay on Comfortably Numb.

You may not even be listening to me on some of these songs. We had an old member of the band Scott Whittlesey sit in on Back in the USSR, Comfortably Numb, You Really Got Me, I Saw Her Standing There, and It Don't Come Easy. He is the fellow on the far left in this photo:

http://members.cox.net/mebombard/bfd_big_daddys_tribute.htm

He was using a Carvin guitar and amp. Not sure of exact models, I know his amp was 50 watt, all tube. He had some nice pedals too. He played strictly rhythm, so any solos are me.

Another problem is that I didn't go out and listen to the mix. I thought I was way too loud and turned my amp down quite a bit. Later when I heard the recording I realized I turned down too much. Scott was a little louder in the mix, so on some of these songs you are hearing Scott. You will hear Scott make a couple of mistakes on You Really Got Me, wasn't his fault, we play it different from the original song which caught him a little off guard. Of all my solos that day, this was my favorite, but as you can see I was a too low in the mix.

So all solos are mine, I played all the guitar on Last Dance with Mary Jane, Ride Captain Ride, Locomotive Breath.

But I do get good tones, I am constantly tweaking my gear to get the best sounds I can. These recordings don't do it justice, I get great sounds live IMHO. :D

Posted : 04/01/2009 7:36 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Almann1979

We did play Mustang Sally at the gig, but I forgot to upload it at SoundClick. I just did so. Scott Whittlesey played the first solo on this song, I played the second.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=853376&songID=7207328

I think we did a much better job on this song than we did a few months back.

Thanks for pointing that out. :D

Wes

Posted : 04/01/2009 7:49 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

yeah - great job, i love that song. In fact Mustang sally is one we cover as well, so i may very well be giving it a very good listen over the next few days to see if i can copy some of your guitar parts :D if you dont mind that is?

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."

Posted : 05/01/2009 12:45 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Almann1979

I don't mind whatsoever.

There are two guitar parts there, my part is simple and you can't really hear it unless you listen for it. It is a simple Blues shuffle. We play this song in the key of C.

C
e---------------------------------
b---------------------------------
g---------------------------------
d---------------------------------
a--10--10------12------13------12-
e--8---8-------8-------8-------8--
& 1 & 2 & 3 & 4

F
d--10--10------12------13------12-
a--8---8-------8-------8-------8--
& 1 & 2 & 3 & 4

G
d--12--12------14------15------14-
a--10--10------10------10------10-
& 1 & 2 & 3 & 4

Scott was playing a very simple riff over the C chord only, it goes something like this (with occasional minor variations):

C
e--------------------------------------------------
b--------------------------------------------------
g--------------------------------------------------
d--------------------------------------------------
a--3--------------1-----3-----------------1-----3--
e--------------3-----------------------3-----------
1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &

Sometimes he used this little pull-off, hammer-on trick. Here it is with a C7 chord, it is the same with the F7 & G7

C7
e----8---8---8----
b----8---8---8----
g----9p--8h--9----
d----8---8---8----
a----10p-8h--10---
e----8---8---8----

Over the F and G chords Scott played essentially the same shuffle as me.

The only other thing is the chromatic chords G7, F#7, F7 with the long rest, then you just start over.

G7 F#7 F7 rest for 7 beats C
e--10----9-----8-----------------------------------------------
b--12----11----10----------------------------------------------
g--10----9-----8-----------------------------------------------
d--12----11----10----------------------------------------------
a--10----9-----8--------------------------------------------10-
e-----------------------------------------------------------8--
3 & 4 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &

That's it, super simple. This is very similar to how the original recording goes. There are many ways you can play it, but I like this version best. :D

Posted : 05/01/2009 8:15 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

thanks for taking the time to do that wes, it saves me a lot of ear work :D

Much appreciated. Al

Posted : 06/01/2009 6:07 pm