Notifications
Clear all

Finally, a clip from me

28 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

I may not have seeen you play sir but at least I heard you ...

Wow , awesome Mr Wes just plain awesome

One day I'll come over and see you live ...

I really enjoyed your playing Wes , thank you for sharing

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

Posted : 22/07/2006 12:32 am
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Hilch

Thanks, but most of that is Lane. The 3rd solo in Rockin in the Free World is me, but you can barely hear it, and the 2nd solo in Mad Dog starting around 2:35 is me. You can hear that one.

I'll post much better clips soon.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 22/07/2006 12:40 am
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

I will be looking out for them Wes

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

Posted : 22/07/2006 12:55 am
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Glad to have been of some help. :)

To be honest, it kinda sounds like a group of quality musicians who are trying to 'explore' the song instead of playing a fleshed-out version. So I'm not sure what to say: it's both fun to listen to skilled players but also somewhat dissapointing since it's fairly obvious the max potential isn't reached. I'll definitely keep an eye out for more recent recordings!

And go claim your own piece of the mix. Something like adding a volume pedal to his rig when he ain't looking so you can turn him down... :D

Posted : 22/07/2006 12:12 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Arjen

Thanks for the honest opinion. Believe me, these recordings are dissapointing to me too. I have been trying to get the guys to work out some serious recordings. But they seem happy with these poor versions. I am a somewhat of a perfectionist in a group of guys who are not. Sometimes I get on their nerves when I want to practice a song over and over to get it right. We have had more than one argument about this. They get bored easily with songs. It just is not as important to them to get it right as it is to me. This is common in many bands, you have different kinds of personalities. It is just like a normal disfunctional family. :D

To be fair though, these are just recordings of a practice. We were not even attempting serious recordings. Mad Dog was very new, we had only played it a couple of times when this was recorded. It was more or less a fun little jam tune we wrote. It is good now and a crowd favorite.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 22/07/2006 6:53 pm
(@Anonymous)

Wes I don't care what Arjen says :wink: ...for a "practice session" they sound GREAT and very clean. Many bands/musicians (myself included) can only dream of sounding that good when actually TRYING! You always tell me (and I assume everyone here) not to be so hard on myself when critiquing my ability...take your own advice! 8)

Posted : 22/07/2006 7:37 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks Mike, I know what you mean, but it's hard not to be critical of your own playing.

I have been looking around for a recording I made with another band about 5 years ago. This was done in a studio. There is one song I am very proud of and would like to post if I can find it.

Funny thing is, it was done in one take. The band was so rehearsed we just banged it out and it sounded perfect. We did not even attempt another take. You will hear a big difference between this recording and these practice songs. But everybody in that band had more of a professional attitude, we practiced songs until they were RIGHT.

Posted : 22/07/2006 7:55 pm
(@xskastyleex)
Honorable Member

Wes,

i didn't think the singing was poor at all it was great. great playing to.

i don't know why i didn't catch this thread the first time, so i appoligize if i am late.

i enjoy your playing a lot.

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible.

Posted : 22/07/2006 9:28 pm
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

bummer i looked forward to hearing you play wes, but our darn Internet at work doesn't allow streaming media. Will keep a look out for the next one maybe that'll work.

Minus

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

Posted : 23/07/2006 6:43 am
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Wes,

Just listened to White Room, great stuff. Solid, tight. Your band sounds great. Singing was not bad AT ALL. Just as good as Jack Bruce ;) Everything sounds magnifico. I'd love to hear more. Drummer sounds good in this song as well. Lead is good, rhythm guitar is good..I can't really hear the bass though.

Anywho, really cool. Nice to finally hear you play bud.

Taso

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

Posted : 24/07/2006 7:54 am
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Way to go Wes, you da man!!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 24/07/2006 12:35 pm
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Wes,

Sometimes we are our own worst critics.

White Room is fantastic and the vocals are awesome.
I can see where Rocking in the Free World could use
some work. As Arjen said it sounds like you are all trying
to find you way around the song. Good solo though.
Mad Dog sounds exactly as you described it. A fun jam
but not as tight as it could be. I would imagine it is the
crowd pleaser you said it is when played live.

All and all though they sound better than alot of the practice
recordings I've heard and made.

Thanks for sharing

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

Posted : 24/07/2006 6:22 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks everyone. Yes, I am very critical of my own playing, and believe me, we are much better than these recordings. I broke one of my own rules with these clips. I have always believed you should not perform a song or submit a recording until it sounds right. Now, I know that someone starting out is not going to be able to play perfect. But all of us (except Dom) have been playing many years and can play well. I was always very unhappy with these clips, but I finally figured out a way to upload songs, and these are the only recordings of the band I had. So I posted them for some who had asked about clips of my playing in the past.

I will get you some much better recordings soon.

But thanks for the kind support. :D

Posted : 24/07/2006 8:38 pm
Page 2 / 2