Clear all

Free Ride - cover by The Tonedr's

15 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@maplebaby)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Having a lot of fun playing some classic tunes with my son! We both like the same music that these days I am very thankful for that - we sure appreciate you giving us a watch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLTNhZs9YGY

Posted : 29/03/2008 12:17 am
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Who is teaching your son to play the drums? When he gets into high school he will be in demand!! He should get into a good band 8) How old is he :?:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 02/04/2008 5:10 am
(@maplebaby)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Tyler is 14, we are lucky to have a great teacher in the next town and he loves it. I hope he does for a long time............even after he dumps me! Thanks for your kind words, dale.

Posted : 02/04/2008 9:58 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Good stuff! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 02/04/2008 10:13 am
(@maplebaby)
Noble Member
Topic starter

thank you sir!

Posted : 02/04/2008 12:49 pm
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

You know, what I love about this clips is that I know for sure some young kid has probably looked at you in the guitar shop thinkin' "what's this old man doin here?"( I know they have to me. ) but I bet when they hear you play they think "Oh what the? What is that sound? Those aren't power chords!?" :lol: . I find it amusing that these thrash heads think that heavy and fast is all there is but then when they hear someone who plays a song with some actual harmonic and melodic content, they're dumbstruck. Like they just witnessed some sort of miracle.

For the record. I'm a shred head and I love heavy but that's not all I listen to.

Bottom line: Keep em on their toes. I love when the adults show up the new blood. 8)

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

Posted : 02/04/2008 5:43 pm
(@maplebaby)
Noble Member
Topic starter

You know, what I love about this clips is that I know for sure some young kid has probably looked at you in the guitar shop thinkin' "what's this old man doin here?"( I know they have to me. ) but I bet when they hear you play they think "Oh what the? What is that sound? Those aren't power chords!?" :lol: . I find it amusing that these thrash heads think that heavy and fast is all there is but then when they hear someone who plays a song with some actual harmonic and melodic content, they're dumbstruck. Like they just witnessed some sort of miracle.

For the record. I'm a shred head and I love heavy but that's not all I listen to.

Bottom line: Keep em on their toes. I love when the adults show up the new blood. 8)

that is so funny! You are so right, awhile back I won some guitar stuff at a local store and my wife was with me, she said when they called my name as a winner to come get my strings or whatever, the kids around her said, "does he even play guitar?'

takes me back to that old Gibson add where L Paul is playing a kid's guitar and the kid says, "What's your name," and Paul says, "You should know, it's on your guitar."

I teach kids at middle school level, and like yourself I enjoy their music, what is sad to me is how tight their world of muisc is. Rare is the young person today who gives all genres of music a chance!

You killed me with this and thanks for sharing!

bottom line: music does make me feel more connected with today's culture and younger mentally.........even though the truth is...I ain't so young and the hair is gone!

Your friend, dale

Posted : 03/04/2008 9:05 am
(@joefish)
Trusted Member

Again, it does my heart good to see the likes of your son embracing the old classics. These are the songs I cut my teeth on when I was learning to play drums (and guitar), Boston, Aerosmith, 38 Special, AC/DC... These songs gave me perspecitve on timing, melody, and clever fills and riffs. I think a lot of todays songs, although decent in thier own right, lack this aspect. Guys like Steve "Machinegun" Smith, Phil Ehart, Sib Hashian are all heros of mine even to this day. It's great to see your son playing there styles and so well at his age.

Oh, yeah, and....your not so bad yourself :wink:

Keep it up Dale! Your going to force me to become a better player yet :D

==================
Pat
joefish
SilverBox

"Music so wishes to be heard that it sometimes calls on unlikely characters to give it voice".
Robert Fripp

Posted : 03/04/2008 2:37 pm
(@maplebaby)
Noble Member
Topic starter

well said my friend! thanks for your kind words, dale.

Posted : 04/04/2008 9:23 am
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I've got to ask.
You have had your son listen to Iron Butterfly's "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, yes?
His drumming lessons are not complete until he's heard that.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 05/04/2008 9:15 pm
(@maplebaby)
Noble Member
Topic starter

i will get on that! Thanks for the reminder - plus it will keep him busy for a few minutes, dale.

Posted : 06/04/2008 9:17 am
(@joefish)
Trusted Member

I've got to ask.
You have had your son listen to Iron Butterfly's "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, yes?
His drumming lessons are not complete until he's heard that.

Oh, he hasn't graduated until he hits on something by John Bonham. Maybe a smakerin' of Kieth Moon.

Good luck with that. :lol:

==================
Pat
joefish
SilverBox

"Music so wishes to be heard that it sometimes calls on unlikely characters to give it voice".
Robert Fripp

Posted : 07/04/2008 1:47 pm
(@maplebaby)
Noble Member
Topic starter

that's post-grad work for sure

Posted : 07/04/2008 5:57 pm
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Well, I have just spent the better part of 30 minutes watching through some of your videos. Wow!

You guys are great! As has been said on many of the clips, I love seeing father and son enjoying music together. You guys are making memories that will last a lifetime! Enjoy them!

Oh, and keep the videos coming! 8)

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

Posted : 11/04/2008 12:00 am
(@maplebaby)
Noble Member
Topic starter

i sure appreciate you taking time to watch and I really appreciate your kind feedback! This has been a special thing that just sort of happened and as long as he will let me old man hang around I got a reason to practice! Thanks again, dale.

Posted : 11/04/2008 1:36 am