10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter

LOL!

Yeah, I just started my myspace thing and uploaded a quick house/dance beat I made.

It's not done, I want to add more to it but hey, let's see what ya think for now.

http://www.myspace.com/fourdevils

If ya got any idea's to make it better, let me know!

Thanks,

Mike

Posted : 05/08/2006 9:54 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Mike

Boy, had to wait awhile before that played, and I have cable.

Not exactly the type of music I go for, but it was very well done and the mix was very good. Were there any guitars on there??

I did like that one distorted instrument. Very Nine Inch Nails. That was my favorite part.

Add some vocals to it.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 05/08/2006 10:34 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Mike,

There may be something wrong with your mp3 player. I have broadband, and it never loaded, just kept buffering.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 06/08/2006 12:45 am
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Well, they did say it might take 24 hours to work correctly (or something like that). It's been working for my friends around here. :?

Hopefully next time it will work for you. Sorry about that!

Wes,

Sorry it took so long and hey, thanks for waiting!!! :D

Yeah, I'm branching out and trying other things. I've always liked the fast paced world of dance music so, I figured I would take a stab at it.

And truth be known, this is just a little taste of what's to come (for me, musically). Yeah, no guitar involved this time, then again, I never heard one when I made the track. Doesn't mean I don't play everyday, though. :wink:

Posted : 06/08/2006 1:56 am
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Mike... I LOVE that stuff man. Its not something that I listen to everyday but when I wanna treat my senses (Hearing) to something different its just great music. I love the way you start out as a simple little casio sounding thing and then its gets really deep. Probably helps that I just finished watching Mr and Mrs Smith and I am in the techno/spy track/mystery mood.

What did you use to make that? Can you devulge the secrets? I am way into my guitar now but I bought a keyboard today. I wanna learn it so bad. Truth is that I am finding it easier than guitar to just mess around with.

Great job... Post more..

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 06/08/2006 4:02 am
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter

What did you use to make that?

You mean, what's kept me from recording all guitar related stuff? :roll: :lol:

That would be....... Cakewalk's Project5v2 and Dimension Pro. I'm now a huge fan of Cakewalk products. Quality through and through. Here is a great video of Project 5v2 in action.

Posted : 06/08/2006 5:26 am
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

In firefox with all of my ad, popup, script and other blockers, I can't even see a link to your song. Common problem with myspace. Oh well.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

Posted : 06/08/2006 12:15 pm
(@margaret)
Noble Member

How FUN that one is!

Cool!

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 06/08/2006 3:05 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Fun stuff Mike, cool to see people being interested in electronical music. :) Ad for advice, it kinda depend on what you're shooting for. Right now I'd say it's more techno then Dance/House which might or might not be what you want. Some totally random suggestions, hope they help in a way:

1) The kick ain't kickin'. :) How about putting a 20ms delay on it, compressing it even more and then give it a bassboost. The kick is the foundation of the song and it needs to be as powerfull as can be.

2) If you're shooting for Dance, use more delay/reverb on the main melody. The sound has to drift and float more, it's a tad dry as it is. The sound itself is good enough but it could do with some processing.

3) If Dance, House or any such genre is your goal, simplify the beat. It's a great groove on itself but seems a bit out of place for the kind of music. Having strong and powerfull kicks on every beat and some hihats in between is an excellent start, plus it allows you to more easily change into the different sections of your song by using 'drum waves', where the drum gets twice as fast a few times after each other (4th, 8th, 16th, 32) building up into the new part.

4) Fill it up more. Your main melodies are great but you need more of a melodic foundation to put them on. It's too thin now.

That's my nitpicking for the day. Really cool you're branching out this kind of music, looking forward to what will come next! :D

Posted : 06/08/2006 3:31 pm
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thank you, Margaret. It really is meant to be fun and upbeat, glad you liked it. :D

Thank you for taking the time to listen and help me, Arjen. Yeah, techno is fine I guess. I have a family reunion to attend to today but, I will try your suggestions when I get home. I wonder how much bottom end was lost when I converted to mp3 (I converted it to mp3 on my laptop which has my internet, so I haven't heard it on my recording computer/monitors since I coverted it) . I used some freeware program (I lost my encoder when my hard drive crashed). It was pretty kickin' on my set up (M-Audio BX8a's).

It's funny that you mention a delay. I was thinking about one last night, but never got around to trying it.

Those empty/thin spots are meant for another instrument but, I haven't found the right one yet. Then, when I thought I might get something going with a good lead (main) melody, I totally space out when I get home from the store and forget it all. My memory sucks!

Thank you,

Mike

Posted : 06/08/2006 4:08 pm