Clear all

Little Wing Space Attack

12 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

After more then fourty years of intergalactic space travelling the crew of Little Wing awakes from their intergalactic space sleep, just seconds after the intergalactic space sirens started indicating a hostile galactic space ship was about to attack them.

"Oh no, now we have no choice!" Captain Drieendertig screamed.
With regret and sorrow dripping from the faces of the Little Wing crew Captain Drieendertig activated the Synthesizer of Respectless Covers.
"Fire!"

:D
:lol:
:)
:|
:(

Posted : 04/08/2006 12:02 pm
(@flashback)
Reputable Member

Nicely done. I really love covers done this way. But not a bunch at once. Tasetlyfully done.

GN's resident learning sponge, show me a little and I will soak it up.

Posted : 05/08/2006 3:14 am
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member

I read the post and didn't understand....then listened and I got it!, anyway nice sounds

Posted : 05/08/2006 4:27 am
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Yup, you didn't have any choice :D Fire away :!: Nice stuff--the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 05/08/2006 5:56 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Hey, all is fair in intergalactic space! :D

Nice one. 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 05/08/2006 1:30 pm
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

That was pretty good, though....... I thought there could have been more of an upbeat back and forth lead change signifying a confrontation.

You have some really nice instruments/effects there. What programs are you using?

Posted : 05/08/2006 3:08 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks people! :D

Mike: yeah, pretty true, the 'attack' part isn't worked out as well as it could. Now that is partly intentional as I want the song to drift and float so it would be kinda relaxing to listen to and any kind of conflict would have led to musical contrast. But the point remains and I think, in retrospect, that I should have done a bit more to the attack part. :)

As for sounds, it's all coming from Absynth 3. Really an awesome synth, check it out:
http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=absynth3_us

Posted : 06/08/2006 3:35 pm
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

You said Absynth and I thought Absinthe that's why it sounds so spacey

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

Posted : 07/08/2006 3:33 am
(@nottheguy)
Estimable Member

I loved it! Very original and creative!

Its a great thing when you realize you still have the ability to surprise yourself.

Posted : 07/08/2006 9:59 pm
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Hey Arjen, I was just thinking - spacing out actually - while listening to your rendition (which I think is wonderful by the way!), and the thought was, "Would Jimi have done it this way?" And the answer, I think, is that, "Yes." He was always experimenting but he didn't have the tools we have today. If he were still around, I really believe he'd be using every single new thing available to get his ideas across. It's all conjecture on my part, but he'd probably be doing the one-man-band thing (having had all those band problems back when), and he'd probably have an automated studio.

In that way, I think you may have captured the essence of the Jimi mentality/creativity, is what I'm saying. I mean, we 'assume' he'd be playing guitar, maybe loud rock type stuff, but...would he really? I don't think so. He would've moved on beyond that, and this just sorta reminded me of this.

Thanks.

Posted : 11/08/2006 4:49 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

DemoEtc: I've been thinking about the very same as well. Ofcourse I have no way to know what Jimi would have done but I did wonder whether or not he would 'approve' of a cover done in this way. Little Wing has been covered so insanely often that it was very easy to turn his brilliant composition into a lame backing track for some pentatonic riffs but it's just as easy to take the electronic possibilities too far and have it end up like a lame collection of bleeps. To be honest I've been pondering for a while whether to make this public or not, so far the responses have been mixed. The friendly GN people have been very kind indeed but on a Dutch forum I've had some people make some pretty nasty comments. And in all truth it's totally impossible for me to see whether this worked or not, it's hard to take a fresh, objective look at your own work.

So thanks for your comments. It's really great to hear someone think along the exact same lines I've been thinking. Kinda proves that I'm not insane, or atleast not the only one. ;)

Posted : 11/08/2006 7:32 pm
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Hehe, yah, I know what you mean about 'insane.' I think maybe it comes down to simply being on a different 'wavelength' from other folks. Though I have to say there's plenty of 'pleasantly insane' people here on this board.

It's a good thing.

I didn't read what the people on the Dutch board said - and probably woudln't understand a word anyhow - but I can only imagine. Thing is, once again, if we'd step into Jimi's shoes a bit and time-travel back, wasn't he trying to get away from people like that? People who wanted to pigeon-hole him into always playing Manic Depression, burning the guitar and then walking off? I read somewhere that that was one of the biggest problems - them not wanting him to be anything else but "Jimi Hendrix.'

Funny how that attitude is alive and well in today's world!

Like the Cream Reunion thing. I was thinking, these three guys back together again, but...what if they wanted to make a brand new album and not play anything from their Cream days? The people wouldn't 'allow' it! They'd be yelling and screaming for Crossroads or White Room or something because those three guys for just a few years were The Cream, and they have to be The Cream forever.

Sheesh! Makes you wonder if 'making it' and 'being famous' is really worth it afterall!

Anyhow, keep up the good work man; keep thinking free; I think maybe that's the whole point to someone like Jimi and what he stood for. It may turn out it's not all about amps and riffs and such, but that...spirit I guess you might say.

Best regards.

Posted : 11/08/2006 11:21 pm