Notifications
Clear all

Hemingways Whiskey - cover

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@rustedstrings)
Topic starter

Second post here, figured I'd dive right in with the latest song I recorded. This is a cover of "Hemingways Whiskey". I originally heard, and was most influenced by, the Kenny Chesney cover of this great Guy Clark song, but regardless of who performs it, it's just such an awesome song, I had to try my hand at it.

I recorded the rhythm guitar and vocals with my 15 yr old brother on "bongos". Then I came back and recorded the lead guitar over top of that. I'm not patient enough to learn anything correctly so I got a "feel" for the song and then improvised everything.

I've been playing for 20 months (does it sound ridiculous to describe it in months like a babies age?) :lol: but anyways, me trying to play lead does end up being a train wreck in spots, but for the most part it sort of sounds like music :note1: . lol

Hope you enjoy it.

http://www.supload.com/listen?s=D8t6YM

Posted : 01/03/2011 9:06 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Ewww . . . great voice!
I want it.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 02/03/2011 2:24 am
(@alangreen)

Superb song and very nicely done, but there's a definite hum in the background which works against you.

It's a very dry mix. I'd take the whole song into studio, multitrack the lead guitar solo in the middle and bring it forward in the mix, add some reverb to the voice and the strummed chords, and use stereo mics. And get rid of the hum.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 02/03/2011 10:51 am
(@rustedstrings)
Topic starter

Thanks so much guys.

Alan, sorry, no chance I'll be recording this in a studio. I can't afford to pay attention, let alone pay to record in a studio. Maybe if I have 12 original songs to record, I'll lay down the dough to do it right, but for now I'll stick to the den recordings. :mrgreen:

Right now I just use a Blue Yeti mic that I was lucky to get off of ebay for a steal. I hear exactly what you're talking about with the hum but can't seem to get rid of it, it's much worse in some of my other recordings. I'm ninety nine percent certain the hum is from the computer which is about 12" away from the mic. It seems to come and go as the computer works.

I did add some reverb to bring the recording back to life a bit but hate to overdo it in fear of losing a natural sound. Sadly this is the best quality I've acheived yet in terms of recording clarity. lol As far as I can tell, the room acoustics are terrible and I really don't know anything about recording, except what I've learned from trial and error.

The good news is, with my ears as the judge, I've been making forward progress in terms of playing ability and recording clarity. That's all I can ask for, but I certainly appreciate the constructive suggestions.

Posted : 02/03/2011 1:02 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I thought it was very good, great voice.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 02/03/2011 5:16 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Fantastic!!! I really love the song...but I'm a huge Kenney Chesney fan so there you go LOL.

You have a fantastic voice!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 03/03/2011 6:04 am
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Just goes to show you that if you can sing, a simple guitar is all you need for accompanyment. It sounds real nice.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 03/03/2011 9:48 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

it sure did sound really good!!!

i enjoyed listening to that from start to finish. nice one!

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 11/03/2011 7:57 pm