Clear all

I Want to make you close your eyes - Dierks Bentley

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

I posted something in the singing section when I took a singing lesson, and here is my 2nd attempt at singing after the lesson. This was a bit tougher because the notes were longer and it was just a bit higher. But I am starting to recognize these things and pin point problem areas, so that's good. Also started this 12CD singing course, so far so good, learning a bunch of terminology and what things should feel like etc.

Anyway, here is the song I attempted. One thing I did notice. I feel more comfortable singing with something in my hand, it could be the guitar steering wheel, pencil, whatever, it's wieird. Hope you find this tolerable! :D :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf6XJXCjTFI

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 22/01/2010 5:58 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

thats good Joe. that is a better vocal, i am interested in seeing how singing lessons work out for you.
My voice could make an egg rot, so im hoping to watch more from you to see how your vocal changes - it might inspire me to take a lesson or two.

anyway, it was a good performance and i like the song, its new to me.

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 22/01/2010 6:25 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks!

The lessons aren't really "lessons" they are a series of tips that one person has been giving me about things, so not having someone there is kind of slowing things down I think.

The Cd's contain a ton of lessons exercises, how to make things last by not over extending your vocal chords, and having the answer to everything NOT be push harder, add more support, but technique. The biggest thing is I'm starting to recognize pitch problems easier, and messing with intervals in fixing those problems. Singing the song acapella for a few days before playing it with the guitar, learning those separately. But most importantly really paying attention to my voice. And I think I'm starting to learn how to adjust....we'll see.

This wasn't as good as my last video after the lesson, but that was easier on my vocals too I think.

Posted : 23/01/2010 7:13 am
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

keep it up. you have a good voice. heard some lemon making a few times. better than rotten eggs.
and hey, I make lemons too.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 24/01/2010 3:52 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks alot!

Things are starting to come together a bit more, we'll see with more practice. I'm finding out certain things about range and intervals with my voice are coming a bit easier.

Maybe the next video will be even better, I don't know. Have to work it out first.

Posted : 26/01/2010 11:40 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Well done Joe! :D

I was remembering when we did Home. You are improved a lot!

Posted : 26/01/2010 12:59 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Home!! Oh man, I forgot about that, I forgot about the originals I did....thanks for the reminder, I think I'm going to go re-visit them with more music knowledge and a better voice and see what I can come up with!

Posted : 27/01/2010 4:32 am
(@daven)
Estimable Member

Good job, keep it up Joe.

Posted : 01/03/2010 5:39 pm