Layla Unplugged

25 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter

I know I've promised no more Clapton....

BUT.... I happen to love his music, and trying to play it is very interesting to me...I was going to upload Fortunate Son, but then I was figured without the lyrics that song isn't much fun...

So, anyways:

Layla Unplugged with an intro and the solo improved by yours truly, along with the little solo right in the begining after the intro... (You'll see what I'm saying when you hear it)

The intro is taken (not very accuratly :( ) from the Live at Hyde Park version, I had posted about it maybe a month ago on the guitar forum.

This is done on my Les Paul due to the lack of an acoustic, using the neck pickup with the tone turned down a bit and the volume a bit lower than usual too, hard to get an acoustic sound...

ALL constructive criticism, suggestions, and comments are welcome.

CLICK LO FI

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/3/tasomusic.htm

CLICK LO FI

Thanks much

Taso

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

Posted : 20/12/2004 9:00 pm
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Taso, the good part of this is your opening bit. And in my book, accuracy doesn't matter at all, as it's all about feel. It's also the only part that you are obviously comfortable playing. Over the rhythm part, your lead playing becomes uncomfortable sounding -- you try to lock the lead lines into the timing, but don't quite succeed. I'd stay with the fluid feeling of the intro. Make sense? You need to relax the rhythm playing as well. It sounds as if you are having difficulty playing it. It should sound relaxed, loose and easy going -- more like a shuffle.

-=tension & release=-

Posted : 21/12/2004 2:14 pm
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter

When you speak of the rhythm part are you referring to the chorus part, or the verse, or both? What do you mean when you say more like a shuffle?

Also, (I know I may be getting annoying) could you give me an example of when I'm trying to lock in the timing with the lead and the rhythm and it doesn't work? The only reason I ask for that is because I'm not to sure, I had felt that worked out well.

Thanks lots for your reply Gnease.

Posted : 21/12/2004 9:45 pm
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Taso

First up - WAY better than anything i can do, but if you want constructive critisism here it is!!

It just doesn't flow right, there seem to be stutters into some sections. I like the very first bit, then it sounds like you are searching for some of the fingering positions and waiting a tiny bit too long to hit the notes.

To me, it just sounds like you need to keep playing it, but maybe to the record, over and over, and see if you can get it to flow steadily along a la Clapton.

Nice effort though, keep it up!

All the best

Matt

Posted : 22/12/2004 3:11 pm
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Taso -

A shuffle is a bit hard for me to describe, but it's a feel that is laid back, with sort of staggered timing and accents that comes off sounding lazy, but really good, and can be done by playing after the beat. Clapton's unplugged version is a great example. I like to think of a shuffle as the musical equivalent of a southern drawl.

Your intro is so nice and freeform, but changes in nature when the rhythm guitar (verse) starts. At that point you seem compelled to put a strong sense of the timing into the lead, and it starts to sound forced and in some cases rushed. I think you can probably keep the lead more free form and still bring it off against the rhythm.

Matt is correct about the flow and timing. You can't quite play this to the chosen tempo and are hesitating unevenly right from the start of verse rhythm. Your prime developmental need -- in this and your previous cuts -- is to develop a better sense of timing. First you need to be able to nail a steady beat and comfortably play to speed within the tempo. You are missing beats quite often in both the rhythm and the lead (where you are trying to play faster). And you can feel it, as your playing becomes uneven when you try to catch up or fit in all the notes. Gotta relax, start slower and nail the groove in the rhythm parts.

You are doing a lot of other things pretty well: note progressions, tone, bends. Keep it up.

-=tension & release=-

Posted : 22/12/2004 5:21 pm
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter

I'm still not completly sure about the shuffle, but as far as I get it, its just a more relaxed way of playing, that while making the chord changes at the right time, its not just 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4, but more like 1 , 3, 1,2,4, 1.... This is really stupid (my attempt at an explanation I mean)...Basically, I'm saying I'd strum on those beats, somewhat randomized, but keeping with the flow of the rhythm?

As for the lead lines- It's very easy to do a free form solo (especially, or maybe only, when its not an original) without a rhythm. I could play that exact intro over the chorus part ( laylaa, got me on my knees' minus the words) and it wouldn't sound good then, but somehow it does without the backing. I presume this is due to the fact that it doesn't fit in with the rhythm. Assuming I'm correct in this idea, (which I AM assuming) I can't seem to manage to due one over the chorus part for the solo.

Gnease, Matt, thanks for the comments, any further help you can give will be grealty appreciated. I'm now going to play along with the song over and over again, until I feel I have it right (good idea Matt)

Posted : 23/12/2004 4:41 am
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Taso

Glad you tok the comments in good faith!

Play it over Christmas and new year to the record, then record yourself again, I think you'll notice a difference. Try and feel your strumming arm settling into the groove and feel how it needs to relax into the thing.

Good luck with it, I am still trying to get the hang of Tears In Heaven so you're miles in front of me mate!

Oh and Happy Christmas!

Matt

Posted : 23/12/2004 7:52 am
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter

*shudders* finger picking..such a beautiful song though, harder than Layla in my opinion.

Happy Holidays to you too bud.

Posted : 23/12/2004 3:55 pm
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Taso

No way is it harder, not at all, don't be put off by finger picking, really its a breeze once you get the hang of it, i assure you. The finger shapes really are quite easy. I haven't had a crack at Layla yet, but even looking at the tab makes me go dizzy.

Tell you what, after we come back to work from New Year's holidays, how about you teach me the first bit of Layla and I'll teach you the first bit of tears - just the finger positions etc. If you fancy it let me know.

Would love to play Layla, just thought i wasn't up to it, now you got me thinking!

What we should do, if you are interested, is post the songs on the easy song database, maybe in chunks - like i would start with the intro and first verse of Tears, in really simple terms so any newbie looking in can have a go as well.

Mods - you ok with that? Basically we would be using the ESB as a tutorial on the two songs, it would probably take me 4 chunks to cover Tears I reckon.
Think about it over the holidays Taso and post on here if you're interested mate, no need to shudder, I promise, its a breeze! And to be honest, it might help you play Layla a bit more fluidly as well. I thought Layla was fingerstyle, but obviously it isn't!!!

Cheers

Matt

Posted : 23/12/2004 4:24 pm
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter

I'm terrible at explaining things (just look at me trying to explain my impression of a 'shuffle' a few posts up ;) ) but I'd definitly be up for that...

Although, I know how to play Tears in Heaven, I just find it more difficult than Layla, by FAR. Not on the improvisational stuff, but just the song in general, more memorization than Layla I think. I like your idea though, for others benefits as well as ours, but these two songs have been tabbed nearly perfectly over at powertabs, so I'm not sure if theres a point ya know?

Let me know what you think about what I thought about your thoughts on the idea.

Posted : 23/12/2004 7:18 pm
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Taso

Let me think about it over xmas - personally i would like to, all you would have to explain is the fingering and how you move from one position to the next.

I know what you mean about perfect tabs being about, but I don't use powertab (i know, I should!!). Just think there's probably a lot of people out there who who love to see a basic lesson on these 2 songs, so wouldn't hurt to do it.

I don't agree, really there are only 4 key parts to learning Tears, I am RUBBISH at memorising songs but can play 80% of it without looking at a tab now.

All the best and have a good christmas, will sort it out in New Year.

Regards

Matt

Posted : 24/12/2004 7:58 am
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Well well well, guess whose back?

Haha

Some major router problems, all sorted out now, I can upload at extremly high speeds, so Im very happy. I present you with the new Layla that I've had for a few weeks now, unable to upload.

I used an effects pedal (gasp), its a chorus/flanger/pitch mod pedal, its cool. Not sure if it was worth the money. But, it gives my version a bit of an original sound.

I totally changed the rhythm guitar for the verse part, I play the rhythm correctly now, that steady quarter note thing I had going on was pretty bad, thanks for pointing that out fellas.

Also, the improv over the chorus chords in the intro, is much looser, due to the suggestions from you all. The second solo isn't really, I kept that pretty tight with the rhythm.

Feedback, constructive criticsm is totally appreciated.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/3/tasomusic.htm

CLICK low fi.

Taso

Posted : 02/02/2005 11:57 pm
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Taso

Hello again, hope you are well.

I liked this more, the only thing I would say, slow it down a bit. I was just trying to hum the tune in my head while listening to your MP3 - the timing is much better on this version, just think all of it needs slowing down.

I love the intro - but its too long. Go straight into the opening riff after about 20 seconds, that's plenty long enough.

Other than that, much nicer mate, well done.

Matt

Posted : 03/02/2005 8:21 am
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Yeah, there is definitly a spot for me to cut down that intro a bit, however everyone I've sent the song to has complimented me on the intro, so I'm considering keeping it the same.

As for slowing it down, your absoulitly right. I began doing that the minute I read your post...Because I want to try singing over it too (pinball wizard hasn't been to much of a help with improving, gotta give this a shot). Getting used to the new timing is a real pain though, I'll tell ya!

Thanks for the reply Matt, always appreciate it.

Taso

Any other suggestions/criticisms are welcome as always.

Posted : 11/02/2005 12:58 am
(@muchavo)
Estimable Member

ya i think your rythem just doesnt flow as much as it should

i havent heard slow hands version for a while but i think its played alittle looser like this

http://www.audiostreet.net/muchavo

i might have the wrong chords, its been awhile, but if my memory serves those are it

It must be getting early, clocks are running late....

Paint by number morning sky looks so phony....

Dawn is breaking everywhere light a candle, curse the glare....

Draw the curtains, I don't care 'cause it's all right....

Posted : 25/02/2005 1:43 pm
Page 1 / 2