4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@villanovajunction)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thought I'd post these up.

http://villanovajunction.dmusic.com/

Quick bio: Several years ago bought a guitar starter pack and tried playing a few chords. Everything sounded like a metal bucket being fed through a wood chipper so I put it away in a cupboard. About two years ago I finally got onto the internet, stumbled across 'tabs', dug out my guitar, still sounded awful, discovered my action was rubbish, fixed it and here I am.

I'm strictly an 'on/off bedroom guitarist', (I can go without picking the guitar up for a week or so and some days I'll play into the early hours of the morning ). Basically It's just for my own amusement but it would be good to get some feedback from a different pair of ears.

Little Wing: My first attempt at learning a whole song as opposed to bits of riffs. I think it goes from good (intro) to o-kaaaay (middle) to ropey (end). On some notes at the end, I tried doing a vibrato on top of a bend using my little finger. Didn't quite work out but you gotta' try these things.

Villanova Junction: My second favourite Hendrix song (Woodstock version). I think this is even more beautiful than Little Wing. My effort sounds harsher because I can't generate that warm, growly wah sound.

Little Wing 30 second improv: First try at multitracking. Just a bit of fun.

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded." Jimi Hendrix.

Posted : 09/04/2005 12:31 am
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

The Little Wing 30 second improv was cool.... so was Little Wing, but not exactly spot on. What I do is I get the tab and then listen to the song on repeat until I almost or do get it. I havent done that with my version of Little Wing, but plan on doing it. :)

Stairway to Freebird!

Posted : 09/04/2005 1:28 pm
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I'm not sure you need to do it SPOT on, it is a cover after all. It was pretty good, you just need to play it until there are no transistion problems, or anything.

The improv sounded cool, but I felt that you were either of tune, or out of key? Am I crazy? or has someone else noticed this as well.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

Posted : 09/04/2005 2:22 pm
(@hero132)

I thought you'd done pretty well with VJ. All the right notes were in there, which is something I find hard to hear when I listen to a piece that I want to play. What you need to do now is get it properly in time and flowing and I think you'll be able to do a great version of that. It takes time and practise. Good effort.

Posted : 10/04/2005 8:47 am