Clear all

Me too (improv)

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@nroberts)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Looking for input/advice/"You suck!" from people. Two tracks: Jan17 (Lead [1/5]) at my soundclick:

http://www.soundclick.com/noahroberts/

Check out some of the other crap there too if you want, and I have the backing track available there also if you are so inclined to want it.

Posted : 19/01/2005 4:42 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I liked this song. It is a good mix. I liked the tone of the rhythm guitar and the bass chug underneath it.

The lead guitar was a little thin at first, almost sounds like an acoustic, but seemed to improve at the end. I might thicken that tone up a little.

I really like it. It got a little sloppy at times. If you tightened it up a little and thickened up the lead tone with a little more sustain this would be a great sounding song.

I like the Delta Blues swamp feel.

Keep up the good work.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 19/01/2005 5:59 pm
(@nroberts)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

I liked this song. It is a good mix. I liked the tone of the rhythm guitar and the bass chug underneath it.

From later in the post I am taking that you listened to take5? Take 1 was more classical minor mode. Take 5 used mostly blues scales and some pickup switching.
The lead guitar was a little thin at first, almost sounds like an acoustic, but seemed to improve at the end. I might thicken that tone up a little.

I did it all straight through my cheap mixer...no amp. I think I might get it a bit more by amping it. What would you suggest to thicken the tone? Maybe it was a particular pickup you liked the sound of? My picking attack had a lot of effect on the volume the way I had it rigged up. When I was playing soft you can't really even hear it...I think amping might fix that also.

Thanks for the reply.
I really like it. It got a little sloppy at times. If you tightened it up a little and thickened up the lead tone with a little more sustain this would be a great sounding song.

Well it was just a jam so slop is kind of given for me...

About sustain, maybe amping would help in that area, but what else might?
I like the Delta Blues swamp feel.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks. I have been listening to these two all day and I think I am going to actually compose something out of a mix of the stuff I like in my different takes. Re-record the back end and put bass in (the bass you are hearing is just low E on guitar but that gives me an idea for the line I might take). I have never composed a lead before, so this should be interesting...see my instructor later today, maybe he has more to say also...

Posted : 19/01/2005 6:21 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Very cool! I agree with Wes in that the lead was a bit thin at first , but toward the end the tone was very good indeed!!!! Nice over all sound and the feel was very nice, Kind of a loose feel to it , it worked well on this tune (it was a jam after all :lol: )---the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 20/01/2005 4:28 am
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I agree with Smokindog the tone was fine at the end.

Thicken the tone? Hey, crank the amp up! Throw a couple of blankets over it if you have to. But don't let it overheat. :D

What kind of amp do you have?

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 20/01/2005 1:03 pm
(@nroberts)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

What kind of amp do you have?

I have an SLO but I wasn't using it there. That was my guitar plugged straight into this Art mixer board with the input sensitivity, tones, and channel volume cranked up to make it clip. So I think that most of the tone is comming from the guitar in this case, a G&L Tribute Legacy (korean made strat by designed by Leo). I really like this guitar for blues and some rock, but the single coils just don't have enough umph for metal (or at least a different kind of umph than is needed).

The guitar is mostly stock. I had to replace the volume pot almost immediately and shaved the back side of the nut a little.

So if you like my tone you might have a look at G&L guitars or go to their website and get a set of the Legacy pickups...they supposedly have more windings than the standard Fender Strat.

I miced my SLO in "The Past" and in my part of "Make a go", which is a collaboration being attempted in alt.guitar.beginner (first one ever I think). The former using a Gibson SG, the latter using the G&L. I haven't really been able to fully capture what you hear standing in front of it though.

Posted : 20/01/2005 3:47 pm
(@nroberts)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Very cool! I agree with Wes in that the lead was a bit thin at first , but toward the end the tone was very good indeed!!!! Nice over all sound and the feel was very nice, Kind of a loose feel to it , it worked well on this tune (it was a jam after all :lol: )---the dog

I think the difference is the pickup selection on guitar. I was using neck and mid for most and then switched to various others. At the end I was probably playing with neck alone. Something about using the mid pickup that makes the volume lower. I get humming when only using one pickup so I often use the two, plus I like the 'squack' you get, but I think maybe using neck pickup is a little fuller.

Posted : 20/01/2005 3:50 pm
(@blue-sky)
Eminent Member

Good grooves! Both have great potential. My only comment - as pointed out above, I think both need a little tightening up. But I love the feel of them.

Wouldn't it be great to do this stuff for a living?

Posted : 20/01/2005 6:28 pm