Notifications
Clear all

My first video - Sundown

41 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Congrats on your first video! I still have not done one. I've done a few single guitar arrangement recordings which are scattered in this forum, but no video equipment yet.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 20/04/2009 4:34 pm
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Thanks Roy. Now get to it! I did! :lol:

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

Posted : 20/04/2009 5:17 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I do have recordings out there. You wanna hear some bad singing? http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7418693

That should make you feel better. :lol:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 20/04/2009 5:26 pm
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I do have recordings out there. You wanna hear some bad singing? http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7418693

That should make you feel better. :lol:

Now cut that out! :lol: Yeah, it does make me feel better, but not for the reason you'd think. I feel like I'm in real good company now. Personally I liked it... it had a melancholy quality to it. Btw, you sound like Bob Seger. And that can't be a bad thing. :wink:

Posted : 20/04/2009 6:17 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Btw, you sound like Bob Seger.

Now, what has Bob Seger ever done to you???? :mrgreen:

Roy

Posted : 20/04/2009 6:22 pm
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Btw, you sound like Bob Seger.

Now, what has Bob Seger ever done to you???? :mrgreen:

Bob Seger rulz! :wink: :mrgreen:

Posted : 20/04/2009 8:37 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

First thing is to learn not to beat your self up :D David already hit all the high points. My suggestion is to record the guitar first (download Audacity) then sing over the guitar track. One more thing. My favorite college professor once told me...NEVER..NEVER..NEVER give up! :!:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 21/04/2009 6:16 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

NEVER..NEVER..NEVER give up!
+1 to that.

If you are posting on youtube you WILL get a bunch of people telling you to stop...here is some of the comments I've received over the past year regarding my stuff, just to let you know what you're in for :twisted:

progressivesnap (8 months ago)
you suck

swingkat75 (5 months ago)
Dude - Some people are meant to play guitars and others are meant to sing. Sometimes we get lucky and a person has both of those qualities. You sir, should stick with playing. No amount of breath control or projection can help a person if they don't have the ability to hear whether or not they are on pitch. Singing is just not for you. But I do like your guitar skills. Keep working on that.

dsmith308 (7 months ago)
Hey, I'm a record label exec and I'd like to offer you a record deal!

But surprisingly you do get good feedback as well as people really saying "hey you aren't that bad, I've heard worse"

So yeah, keep at it and just keep a good sense of humor about the negative stuff.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 21/04/2009 6:44 am
(@jase36)
Reputable Member

I Think comments like that Joe say something about the persons mentality, you tube is so good but it allows warped people an opinion when clearly all they want to do is cause offence.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jase67electric

Posted : 21/04/2009 8:00 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

I think you are right, but it can still get to the person that's posting. I myself am not bothered by it if it's not constructive.

Like, the one post that made the effort to put a positive spin on the negative post by saying something about the guitar playing.

So while you tube is a great place to make friends and network (I use it more than the big Social Networking sites) there are users there that can be haters if for no other reason than to be jerks.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 21/04/2009 8:07 am
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter

First thing is to learn not to beat your self up :D David already hit all the high points. My suggestion is to record the guitar first (download Audacity) then sing over the guitar track. One more thing. My favorite college professor once told me...NEVER..NEVER..NEVER give up! :!:

Yes, I have to get Audacity for my home pc where I do this. I downloaded it on my work pc just to noodle around with its features.

I freely admit that sometimes I want to chuck it all, but then I get an inspiration and the Muse knocks me upside da haid and opens a can of Whoop-Butt on me. Then I go with guns a-blazing into playing. :D

Posted : 21/04/2009 10:14 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

If everyone who'd been told they couldn't sing took that advice to heart, people like Bob Dylan, Neil Young and Tom Waits would never have made records - and the world would be a poorer place for it.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 21/04/2009 10:46 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I think Jimi Hendrix didn't like his own singing voice. Probably more people thought that of themselves than we know.

Roy

Posted : 21/04/2009 12:00 pm
(@bkangel)
Estimable Member

It dawned on one day when I was contemplating if I should continue having singing lessons that the singers I LOVE to listen to are more about the presentation of the song than the strength of their voice necessarily.

Tom Waits, Ed Keupper, Elliot Smith, none could be said to have "ideal" voices... and suddenly it made me far more accepting of my own voice. After all, even if I had the voice, I would never be going on Australian Idol. My taste runs a little more "alternative" than that.

We should all sing, whether we have amazing voices or not. I believe it really is good for the soul -- nothing de-stresses me better than a good hour long sing.

What I lack in talent and natural ability, I will have to make up with stubborness.

Posted : 21/04/2009 12:05 pm
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I like the sound and quality of my speaking voice, and I can chant a mean prokeimenon and epistle reading in church (though it's been 15 years! :roll: ). I may have mentioned that when I attended church, it was Eastern Orthodox, in which everything is chanted, without any kind of musical instruments, and almost nothing spoken. I got lot of compliments on the quality of my voice. It's my singing range that seems to need work. That is not insurmountable with a lesson or ten, or trying Singing For Dummies, which I have. I like the For Dummies music series because they come with cds I have loaded into iTunes (me and my iTunes! :lol: ).

I'm less downcast about it now than I was when I first heard my recording. I thnk it was the shock of hearing myself. :? If I develop my own style, limited range or not, it will be my style, not mimicking anyone else. Most of us are not Andrea Boccelli (I just discovered him) or Placido Domingo or even the late Lucian Pavarotti, not to mention Mario Lanza. We are who we are.

Posted : 21/04/2009 12:12 pm
Page 2 / 3