Clear all

My first video - Sundown

41 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter

We should all sing, whether we have amazing voices or not. I believe it really is good for the soul -- nothing de-stresses me better than a good hour long sing.

I had to bold that for emphasis, since I believe it. I can tell when I am feeling better and recovering from a bummed out episode... I start to sing when I'm driving, or even playing the music at home.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

Posted : 21/04/2009 12:18 pm
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter

+1 to that.

If you are posting on youtube you WILL get a bunch of people telling you to stop...here is some of the comments I've received over the past year regarding my stuff, just to let you know what you're in for :twisted:

And it seems that the nasty ones don't have anything to show for themselves. It's the same on the weight training forums. You post your pics and put yourself out there and some 18 year old will say you are fat or make some critique, yet they have no picture of themselves. It's just trolling and flamebaiting. Call them out and they go away.

Posted : 21/04/2009 12:23 pm
(@bkangel)
Estimable Member

+1 to that.

If you are posting on youtube you WILL get a bunch of people telling you to stop...here is some of the comments I've received over the past year regarding my stuff, just to let you know what you're in for :twisted:

And it seems that the nasty ones don't have anything to show for themselves. It's the same on the weight training forums. You post your pics and put yourself out there and some 18 year old will say you are fat or make some critique, yet they have no picture of themselves. It's just trolling and flamebaiting. Call them out and they go away.

Call me a sook, but I disabled the comments after seeing some of the nasty comments that were being posted on YouTube to other beginners. I could probably argue them into the ground, but I'd rather avoid getting their venom on me to start off with.

What I lack in talent and natural ability, I will have to make up with stubborness.

Posted : 21/04/2009 12:26 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

or even the late Lucian Pavarotti
I can eat like him though. :roll:

I remember the first time I heard my voice on an answering machine. It was like "Do I really sound like this?". Ugh! Mixed Vermont, Upstate NY and Southern US dialects.
It dawned on one day when I was contemplating if I should continue having singing lessons that the singers I LOVE to listen to are more about the presentation of the song than the strength of their voice necessarily.
Rod Stewart and Mick Jagger were both panned for their vocals early on. They can sell a song though, and that was big.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 21/04/2009 12:26 pm
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter

or even the late Lucian Pavarotti
I can eat like him though. :roll:

Tell me about it. You don't get to 230 lbs at 5'5" by being a picky eater. :lol:

Posted : 21/04/2009 12:31 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Call me a sook, but I disabled the comments after seeing some of the nasty comments that were being posted on YouTube to other beginners. I could probably argue them into the ground, but I'd rather avoid getting their venom on me to start off with.

Yeah, but then you have all the good comments that aren't being made if you disable them, despite the negatives, the positives far out weight them. On the post that said those, there was also a few good ones saying it sounded like a friend sitting around a firepit with a guitar, etc.

All in all I think the comments are good regardless of the negatives.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 22/04/2009 4:02 am
(@bkangel)
Estimable Member

Yeah, but then you have all the good comments that aren't being made if you disable them, despite the negatives, the positives far out weight them. On the post that said those, there was also a few good ones saying it sounded like a friend sitting around a firepit with a guitar, etc.

All in all I think the comments are good regardless of the negatives.

That's true, too.

I posted my youtube links onto my Facebook page and got a compliment back from a friend who's never heard me play (let's be honest, only my bloke has ever heard me play) ... it surprised me, but it was very nice! :lol:

What I lack in talent and natural ability, I will have to make up with stubborness.

Posted : 22/04/2009 7:00 am
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hey M - You see what response you get with a post like this... :roll:

You're doin' great, keep it up. It gets easier the more you do - we've all been through this process - heck, I'm still going through it and I'm hoping there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

You will find a key that suits your vocals and capo to it. You'll also find that certain style of music or cover songs suit your voice, although it's nice to change the key and tone on other records - it gets some interesting results.

Look forward to more. You seem to have a lot of equipment to play around with - I've just got an iSight connected to my Mac - that's got to be good enough for me at the moment.

I think the self-criticism wears off after a year or so, 'cos you know folks ain't going to buy it for much longer... :wink:

Rock on!
D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 22/04/2009 7:42 am
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Hey M - You see what response you get with a post like this... :roll:

You're doin' great, keep it up. It gets easier the more you do - we've all been through this process - heck, I'm still going through it and I'm hoping there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

Look forward to more. You seem to have a lot of equipment to play around with - I've just got an iSight connected to my Mac - that's got to be good enough for me at the moment.

I think the self-criticism wears off after a year or so, 'cos you know folks ain't going to buy it for much longer... :wink:

Rock on!
D 8)

Thanks Dylan. Mucho appreciation.

And I want so much more equipment too! :lol:

You're right about the self-criticism. It gets old, even to myself. You start to believe what you say you are. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. So we'll have no more of that. Just progress. :wink:

Posted : 22/04/2009 12:40 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Nice job. Keep it up once you get one or two under your belt you'll be on your way ..... just keep at it.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 22/04/2009 11:34 pm
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Nice job. Keep it up once you get one or two under your belt you'll be on your way ..... just keep at it.

Thanks. :) I'm thinking of doing this one over again, maybe a few times to get it better, and also a couple of others to see how they all compare. I may or may not post them, depending on how much outside critique I think they need.

Posted : 23/04/2009 12:17 pm
Page 3 / 3