Clear all

New Mic Day 1 - MXL 990

9 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Got this in the mail today....love it....the noise floor is really low and I didn't really do any processing to these files, just shaped it a bit, and did a small amount of noise reduction and compression....loving it!

Just placed the mic 12" from the sound hole behind the bridge, for both Acoustic and Classical

http://www.box.net/shared/klv0pnuy9m

My other mics will be coming Wednesday or Thursday, Behringer C2...I've heard REALLY GOOD soundclips from some people on those.

EDIT: DIDN'T LIKE THE REVERB ON NOW AND FOREVER, NEW FILE IS UPLOADED!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 07/06/2010 4:11 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

The acoustic sounds very, very clear. Also the classical but the sound is more... "muddy"? Sorry, Joe, if it is not the correct word. I mean, I don't say the sound is bad, it is more "dense"? Perhaps the classical sounds in that way, the nylon strings.

Anyway, many congrats, very good sound!

Posted : 07/06/2010 7:03 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

No I think you are right...I wonder if I just left the reverb off it would sound okay...I've always been told that Reverb on a Classical makes it sound better.

But it definitely won't sound as bright as an acoustic that's for sure.

Posted : 07/06/2010 7:04 pm
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I'm not a pro sound guy or commentator, but I like more treble for myself anyhow. I usually have trouble getting the treble I want from an acoustic guitar - it's an ongoing issue that won't end. :roll:

Nice sound there Joe, it is rich and full. I would have to say that the notes are blooming. :lol: I have no complaints, but thought I would look up, read, then share this, it could help me understand why I have this addiction to treble and can't get enough? But no not really, it has little to do with my personal taste. It is more about players who like a darker sound, perhaps muffled or less cutting/clear? I used to play into a board controlled by a guy who always muddied me up. So I whacked at the higher (upper mid/treble) strings harder with the pick, and he'd get up and turn it down more. :roll:

Anyhow, it sounds very good for the first time out of the box, and I am aware, a lot like the original. Another nice job!

http://www.recordingreview.com/articles/articles/213/1/How-To-Deal-With-A-Picky-Mid-Scooped-Guitarist/Page1.html

You're not doing this, don't worry - I was looking for the answer to my own treble problems - I turn them up when I can, but can't always do what I want unplugged. http://www.sweetwater.com/expert-center/glossary/t--ScoopedMids

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

Posted : 07/06/2010 10:00 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

LOL, I like "d" in that article.

Here's another file, it's the same Now and Forever from before, but I've been able to get a more "full" tone I guess, and keep the highs intact.

Man a world of options has opened up with such a low noise floor....I'm still in shock that this mic cost 1/3 of my other mic, and is so much better (to my ears anyway).

http://www.box.net/shared/syc6jr0d0a

Posted : 08/06/2010 5:08 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

That sounds very good! What did you do?

I only made a couple of recordings with my acoustic but I remember I did read some advices about where to place the mic (distance, oriented to different parts, etc.). I guess you already know that, if you wish I could try to find the page again.

Today it sounds to me "very warm"! :D

The worst to me is to try to express something like feelings about music in a language that is not my first language! Sorry if I am using nonsense adjectives!

Posted : 08/06/2010 9:01 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Nuno, your English is superb! I wouldn't worry about that, I know what you mean. :D

I took the original file, and shaped it so that the 200-450khz ranges dipped a bit lower, but the 80-120khz ranges were higher, and I raised the treble a bit as well. Then I read up a little on "dampening" when using Reverb, and created my own setting for Re-verb so that it's not has heavy and doesn't muddle it up.

The end result is a much warmer sound without sacrificing much treble and not letting the bass be over the top. At least in my opinion. LOL.

Once I get my new pencil Mics I'm going to try and do some true stereo recording....always something new to learn!

Posted : 08/06/2010 9:10 am
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Excellent! I like the way the lower notes sustain, as more melody plays on, over the base of the tone. I can't describe it?

Anyhow that is professional caliber, like Vincent from Don McLean or Leader of the Band, a bigger sound - Dan Fogelberg.

Don's playing is muted, to emphasize the vocal I suppose, and the guitar itself is ever so slightly metallic, but it is subtle.

No, not really, I listened again. You guys sound the same! That's good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dipFMJckZOM

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

Posted : 08/06/2010 12:10 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Damn, man, thanks! LOL.

I'm liking the mics, and I can't wait to get the others to start working with them as well!

Posted : 08/06/2010 3:42 pm