Clear all

New Mix of Daughter Singing

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@alouden)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Got a lot to learn about this stuff. Got the guitar and vocal separated, but there's a little glitch at the beginning. I'll have to get here to record it again, but I thought I would get some feedback on the difference.

Thanks,

Allen

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=645206&songID=4852057

Posted : 14/01/2007 8:43 pm
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

This shows promise. A few comments though.

Performance

Maggie sounds rushed. Slow down a few beats per minute and give the poor girl some time to breathe. I suspect this will also help the spots where she's slightly flat when she comes in, and help her sound overall more relaxed.

Mix

The vocal is WAY out in front. Bring it down or bring the guitar up. I'd suggest a little of both :)

Those are the two major things I hear that need correcting. Retrack, remix, and let's see what we get.

Then I can nitpick :lol:

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

Posted : 14/01/2007 9:57 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

What MoonRider said. I like her voice better on the longer notes, she sounds somewhat strained during the faster parts. IMHO the mix isn't that bad at all, a minor raise ofe the guitar volume should fix it all. I like how this sounds, looking for more. :D

ps. is this an original or cover? Great song either way, just wondering.

Posted : 15/01/2007 9:08 am
(@margaret)
Noble Member

This shows promise. A few comments though.

Performance

Maggie sounds rushed. Slow down a few beats per minute and give the poor girl some time to breathe. I suspect this will also help the spots where she's slightly flat when she comes in, and help her sound overall more relaxed.

Mix

The vocal is WAY out in front. Bring it down or bring the guitar up. I'd suggest a little of both :)

Those are the two major things I hear that need correcting. Retrack, remix, and let's see what we get.

Then I can nitpick :lol:

Are we listening to the same piece?? :shock:

Allen, it is the cut titled "Maggie Singing" that we're discussing, correct? You replaced the first take with this new take, under the same title, right?

This is a definite improvement over the first one you posted. The vocal sounds remarkably like Jewel's version of the song. Rushed? -- I don't think so. Don't slow it down.

I find it distracting to have the vocal in only one channel but I don't hear a significant imbalance in the levels of the voice and guitar. Granted, I am using a cheap headset as my good ones are out of commission.

Maggie has a very nice voice. I think she has remarkable voice control for a 14-year-old. I'd love to hear more.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 15/01/2007 1:48 pm
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Here's a link to Jewel's version of the song on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBuckCxC1AI

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 15/01/2007 3:23 pm
(@boogie)
Honorable Member

Very nice. Either me or my kids need to sing along to our guitar playing.

Posted : 16/01/2007 4:34 am
(@alouden)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

We are definitely rookies at this (at least I am, my daughter has been performing for years) so the recording process has been a trial and error experience. (more error than anything I might add). But we will keep at it. I am working on anothersong now.. trying to get the guitar down and then we'll ad vocals.

Posted : 16/01/2007 1:58 pm
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Are we listening to the same piece?? :shock:

Allen, it is the cut titled "Maggie Singing" that we're discussing, correct? You replaced the first take with this new take, under the same title, right?

This is a definite improvement over the first one you posted. The vocal sounds remarkably like Jewel's version of the song. Rushed? -- I don't think so. Don't slow it down.

I find it distracting to have the vocal in only one channel but I don't hear a significant imbalance in the levels of the voice and guitar. Granted, I am using a cheap headset as my good ones are out of commission.

Maggie has a very nice voice. I think she has remarkable voice control for a 14-year-old. I'd love to hear more.

Margaret

Yes indeed we are listening to the same track, and yes Maggie does have a good voice. I wholeheartedly agree with you there.

I also hear a potential for Maggie to have a great voice.

Margaret, listen again on a set of speakers, and turn it up a bit. Pay particular attention to Maggie's attack on a note, and her release and you'll likely hear what Arjen and I did. The tempo change I'm suggesting is a minor one, at the most 3 bpm.

From hard experience I can vouch that those extra tenths of a second can make a world of difference in the amount of air a singer has to work with.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

Posted : 16/01/2007 10:45 pm
(@smokehouse)
Honorable Member

for me this is great look forward to more, my daughter does vocal work for me as well, my problem is getting the whole thing balanced throughout as well, but this is one hell of great shot.....good luck to you both ..smoke

:WHO INVENTED WORK SHOULD COME BACK AND FINISH THE JOB OFF: http://www.soundclick.com/bartin

Posted : 17/01/2007 11:15 am
(@clockworked)
Reputable Member

Just listened to this. I'm impressed -- your daughter has a wonderful singing voice. Get her to pickup the guitar and teach her the importance of keeping true to her values (unlike Jewel, who after songs like this was out parading her body around like Britney Spears for awhile in a cash grab) and she'll go far. For 14, she sounds a lot older.

Used to be, was a part of me felt like hiding.. but now it comes through. Comes through to you.

Posted : 02/02/2007 8:32 am