Reputable Member
Topic starter

http://cdbaby.com/cd/oenyaw

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

Posted : 16/05/2007 1:14 pm
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

I sampled every track, but I don't get the concept. I read the description on the website, maybe I am missing something here?

Posted : 16/05/2007 2:54 pm
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Oenyaw, now I understand your signature. :shock:

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 16/05/2007 5:08 pm
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I kinda like it. Are they all 2 minutes long or is that just the free-sample?

I think I know what you're trying to do, and it's something I was thinking of experimenting with too.

Cool.

Posted : 16/05/2007 5:30 pm
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Wow, I wasn't expecting any response.

The disc is an MP3 disc, playable on a MP3 player or computer, downloadable directly to computer or IPOD. There is slightly over 5 hours of music on the disc. The cuts range from 26 minutes to 77 minutes. The "title track" is a short result of a computer experiment, about 15 minutes. The 2 minute samples on the CD Baby page were done by them. On my website ( http://www.oenyaw.com/discography.html ), the samples are around 5 minutes long. Here's an address for a review: http://www.melliflua.com/leave-world-behind.html

Track for track, briefly as I can. "The Tutor of Achilles" is an E-minor 13th chord in three octaves, which is achieved through loops and multitracking, pretty much note per track. "Greenland" is a one take, no overdub, Frippertronic type improv piece. "The Reasonably Well-Tempered Assembly Line" is a short, simple, written compositon which I played notes on each track as loops, added a step filter to each track to give each note it's own "personality", and then assembled it using the computer. "Eye Ten" has a heavy, hypnotic drone using a power chord and phase shifting and flanging, overlayed with leads and other power chord rythms. The drone is slowed down to half speed about 36 minutes into it. "Cicadas Lullaby" was one of those "should I include this one or not" tracks, which Dene, the reviewer and a few others seemed to like the most. I came up with this real dreamy loop that I continually added things to and animated manipulations throught the piece, overdubbing with a melody line that reoccurs using different effects.

As far as the "what is he up to?" question. It's like I have always liked music that just plays for long periods of time, it's just that there's not that much of it out there. I had this idea of doing long discs (5 hours each) in MP3 format a couple of years ago, and have released 5 on my website. I have about 11 hours of material I have recently recorded and not released, some with lots of manipulation, some with hardly any, and about half of it consists of "live" material (one track improvs, no overdubs, just a bit of Pantheon reverb added.) It is ALL done with guitar. No synthesizers, keyboards, drum machines. I didn't want to be a one man band, and would welcome any offers of collaboration. I just bought a Strat, so the first five discs are all played on an Epiphone Sheraton. I have a Dean Markley Black Coffee Distortion box, a Line 6 Delay Modeler and Modulation Modeler and record it using a Lexicon Desktop system on a E-Machines computer. I did it all for myself, and decided to release in on the net due to my wife's idea (She says that all the crazy ideas I have come up with over the years that people I have never met eventually do the same thing and make tons of money, that I should at least give it a shot.) I haven't sold very many copies at all, but so far, I get favorable responses. Over the past two years, I have actually lost my fondness for the term "ambient music". It seems to be overused by every one from dance mixers to new agers. I try to make music that can be played at a background level. Music that doesn't require attention, but will reward the attention when given. I have lived, and been in, a very stress filled situation of life over the past few years, and I don't think I'm alone. I try to consider my music, or provide music, which can be a way out of the current mess that surrounds. A way to leave "that" world behind.

Thanks for listening, and check out the Oenyaw site. There's alot more there. I dropped the Paypal thing due to the facts that 1: it was costing me around $45 a month and had only sold 9 discs in the first year (I started this last March), 2: I found that Paypal doesn't work in Europe and that alot of interest for my music happened to be coming from there (an Italian magazine is in the process of "evaluationg" for reviews/articles), and 3: someone was hacking into my Paypal account. I talked to a few other bands and found that many just have sites with the "just send a check to...." situation that works just fine.

The biggest problem is that no one outside of Russia seems to be selling MP3 discs. People complain about the sound quality of MP3 disc being inferior to regular CDs. My response is "then why do you pay for downloaded MP3s if you don't like the sound quality?" I record and master the discs at 44.1 kHz and at 256 kbs, which is better than most cds you would download at 126 or 192 kbs. Besides, I didn't expect anyone to listen intently to songs that last for an hour. Seems like a few people are.

Posted : 16/05/2007 6:11 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I checked the samples and I like the idea behind it. I'm not sure if there actually is a market for it but who knows, or even who cares. I'm not sure what you mean with the paypal comment, it works perfectly in all EU nations as far as I know. As for MP3s, 256kbs/44.1khz is no problem. I can't tell the difference between that and wave files unless you listen to both extensively next to each other and what's the point of doing that? Oh, I have absolutely zero experience with this kind of music but I wouldn't mind giving it a try, if you're interested. :)

Lots of luck with your music!

Posted : 16/05/2007 7:08 pm
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Sleutelbos: I heard the Paypal Europe thing from somone in Romania, so I just took it for granted that... You know how us American's are. We hear one thing from one part of Europe and we think the whole continent is that way. Thanks for clearing that up. Now, I've got MORE research to do.

There's this joke I heard once: The difference between Americans and Europeans is that Americans think 200 years is a long time, and Europeans think 200 miles is a long distance. :lol:

Hope you check out more of my music.

Posted : 17/05/2007 2:57 pm