Notifications
Clear all

Rich's House #3 Purple Haze

23 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@alex_)
Honorable Member

everyone should have powertab... its so professional..

the notation and tab perfectly scored out.. or a notepad file that really really looks awful compared to a powertab..

seriously, it'll knock up any lessons you write in the future, up a few stages.
about the video, sorry Rich.. i had to stop it half way through..
nothing against you but it was so dull.. i know its hard to keep interest on a video for so long..

but.. its the "4th string seventh fret then the index finger to the 4th string 5th fret then you use the second finger on the right hand to go onto the 6th string 5th fret and then the same finger to go onto the G string 6th fret then..."
its kinda like that majority of the way through.. and really bored me..
but this is constructive critisism.... what i think you should do..
is play the part your going to teach.. then go through it, dont explain minute detail after detail.. the general jist of it..
show your face on the video, if you seem interested, it helps the viewer.. but it sounded like a drag for you aswel..
then it would be so much better .. also i know you use some cool video program to add music and titles and stuff

Posted : 25/07/2004 11:02 am
(@alex_)
Honorable Member

, so you can put a pic of a tab in the corner so people can see what your playing.

(cut off from last post, computer not letting me edit it)

Posted : 25/07/2004 11:24 am
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Alex: I use Guitar Pro, which I consider to be superior to Powertab (and the shareware version of GP contains all you need about it, so it is free as well). To be honest, I have absolutely no clue why the rhythm isn't properly done in the images in that lesson (I gave tab, and they have a prog that turns it into those images, should work normally). Maybe I should create the images myself and ask if the GN crew can replace those with mine...

Posted : 25/07/2004 11:52 am
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Catcha, I thought Argen's reply was a bit rough. Now, after hearing that they've been corresponding and been doing things together I see that it really is not that rough. With my friends we'll joke around and jest around, call one another silly names, and such. But I think if we didn't know those two were friends we'd think the critique was a little harsh.

Arjen, I'd rather you give a nice, detailed critique than, “Yea man, that's good.” A 4-word response like that is good in just giving affirmation that someone has seen and heard the clip. But a full-blown critique is always better. Glad you took the time to analyze it and post your thoughts. :D

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 25/07/2004 6:28 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Rich,

I didn't see they whole video but I definitely have to give you props for even spending the time to do it. Your making great progress in your playing and it's very evident. I know being young you have alot of time but it's still work putting it together.

And I would think all of Arjen's comments are in the constructive criticism vein. I would also agree with him that there's no sense sugar coating the critique. If there's something that's not right it's better to hear an honest opinion than have everyone just say yea that's cool.

I wish I had the time or desire to do that sort of stuff but I need to spend as much time as I can practicing.

Keep up the good work.

Chris

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 27/07/2004 4:08 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

First of all, a big welome to Catcha!

I think Arjen and Rich make a good team. Those of us who have been on here awhile know they have worked together.

Arjen (Promedics) is gonna call it like he sees it. I appreciate his bluntness. He is a good guy and any criticism should be taken as an attempt to be constructive.

Rich (xSSx) has shown that he can take constructive criticism. I don't know of anyone who has submitted more clips. He has put himself out there for all to see and hear.

I hope you two will continue to work together.

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 27/07/2004 5:46 pm
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I agree with Wes. You guys did a good job with the Little Wing cover working together. Keep up the good work!

Posted : 27/07/2004 11:06 pm
(@apefeet)
Eminent Member

First off, good lesson, but you wanted some feedback, so here goes :-).

Big point, when you record switch yourself around so that there is light infront of you and not behind you. When you are showing the fretboard, you can't see the strings cause it is too dark. I've noticed this in your other videos. You might want to get a white sheet and hang it up behind you and get a couple of lights and put them behind the camera (maybe take the shades off). And close the curtains.

The other thing is flow. Try rehersing the lesson a few times and record yourself each time and watch it. Might try getting some poster board and writing the script on it and having a friend flip them while you record it.

Also do a couple of takes and then edit to take the best peices, does not have to be done in one shot.

And as has been said before, put up a powertab/sheet music of whole song so that it is easier for us to follow along.

But keep going they are good and informative.

Rich

Posted : 28/07/2004 7:46 pm
Page 2 / 2