Clear all

Ride Captain ride

15 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Another oldie. Posting to show where I am with this song. In particular, the backing vocal(s) strategy. (I have not employed what Boxboy said yet)

Bass track done with Band in a Box's Real Band and Real Tracks
Drum track done with Band in a Box's Real Band and Real Tracks
rhythm guitar track
A lead/fill track
lead vocals track
backing vocals on choruses only.

Suggestions always welcome. being a tool is not. enjoy!

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10207305

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 28/01/2011 6:59 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Thats starting to sound like something Roy!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 28/01/2011 9:34 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Agree with Terry this has some good potential I'd cut the guitar back in the mix ever so slightly I think it jumps out to much when you play the licks at least compared to what's going on behind it and maybe add a little distortion or overdrive, but then again I tend to like a bit of distortion on most things.

It's got a good flow though

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 29/01/2011 3:01 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks guys.

cnev, which guitar to cut back. The lead or the rhythm?

As far as distortion, I tend to go under. We're opposites. I still was not comfortable on even which scale (or part of a scale, actually) I liked better. I think a little further down the neck needs to happen with maybe, of course, some more distortion.

There are some runs in the verses I need to get in there too. I do decently about one out of ten tries. :oops:

Anyone have any thoughts on the backing vocals attempt i did?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 30/01/2011 4:28 am
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

The lead gutitar just add a touch more distortion nothing over the top and cut it back in the mix.

The vocal doubling that you did was to soft could barely hear the second vocals although I'm only listening to it through my PC so it may stand out more in a better system.

I'd try Boxboy's suggestions or maybe instead of singing over you own vocals sing something after each main voacl line a little quieter and pan it to one side.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 30/01/2011 11:49 am
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

Roy - i am certainly not in any position to offer tips on recording, as I cant ever seem to get a good recording - but you seem to have done a good job.

I like the song, it is not one i have heard before but its got a real good feel to it and the guitar solo is nice and mellow.

I would perhaps agree with cnev though, when he says a touch more distortion on the solo, but I like its place in the mix - i like em to stand out. :D

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 30/01/2011 11:56 am
(@jase36)
Reputable Member

Hi Roy

Your vocals are improving, although at times you sounded a bit hesitant. On the choruses you seemed less hesitant. I thought the backing track could do with being a bit louder and a little bit more punch on the lead.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jase67electric

Posted : 01/02/2011 7:00 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

thanks for the input guys.

Jase, that "punch" might be something I need to look into. I know something is lacking, but I don't know what. perhaps the attack, or punch. :?:

Roy

Posted : 01/02/2011 7:06 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Roy, you did all this by yourself?

Excellent!!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 06/02/2011 3:22 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Roy, you did all this by yourself?
Kind of. software for the drums and bass. Me on the rest. Improvements to come later. Well, I hope they end up being improvements. :lol: :lol:

Roy

Posted : 07/02/2011 6:23 pm
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Cool stuff Roy. :)
Just to add to the confusion:
I like the lead guitar tone so don't change it but maybe back the volume off slightly
Good suggestions from jase re. vocals...your lead is more confident in the 2nd verse...but if you're not going to re do...maybe EQ the background vocals a touch and see if you can differentiate them even more...
Regardless, great job. :)

Don

Posted : 07/02/2011 7:06 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks Don. I always have to be cognicent about my speakers verses the average desk top of lap top speakers. As a gift several years ago, my wife got me a really good set of PC speakers and accompanying sub-woofer. Being the frequency I have the hardest time with, I crank it. I then drop it back down to "normal", which is 75% listening and 25% guess. So, I normally have to reduce mids and highs a fraction andre-guess at the lows. Mosly tweeks. It's getting better. Less and less adjustments needed....

I agree about the lead and being better later on. This was #X take and they all have this annoying early section of nervous & lack of confidence. This one I liked the best, especially after three minutes. I think I can actually har the attack being more aggressive or snappy. Nothing like it was. I hadb't listened to this song in a few days, so it came in fresh to me today.

Roy

Posted : 08/02/2011 5:27 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Wow man, you are really coming along with this band in a box stuff! I'm impressed!!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 09/02/2011 11:34 am
(@rustedstrings)

My absolute honest opinion and suggestions as nothing more than a critical listener. (that means I don't know anything and have no credentials or formal training) lol Also keep in mind I only have standard PC speakers in a non-ideal listening environment.

- song starts off too "strong and busy" if you understand what I mean. Don't know the original song, but just going by the first listen and impression. I like the drum stick clicking to count in, but all of a sudden the whole band hits you like a brick wall. Ease that in if you can. Not sure exactly how, maybe less drums or no rhythm guitar yet...no bass, not sure...maybe just start with lead guitar and a very faint rhythm. Give the song more dynamics by rising and building and then falling and fading in spots to bring depth and feeling. Crescendo and De-crescendo if I remember the terminology from my days as a clarinetist (don't laugh I hated clarinet and still feel my teeth and brain vibrate when i hear one) lol

- the lead guitar is definitely a bit too forward in the mix. blend it in in certain areas and let it stand out in others, either by eq or volume I would assume. It may not be too loud, but just taking up too much space if that makes sense.

- Biggest thing about the vocals that hits me is.... lack of confidence! Vocals lose all credibility if they sound doubtful and reserved. You have to put emotion and feeling into them and sing as if no one is listening. The vocals also seem extremely dry and very in front of the mix. Which some people like, but I personally prefer a well blended mix with space for all the sounds. My suggestion would be to lower the volume of the vocals, add some reverb and delay and EQ them so they still come to the front of the mix but don't sound like they're sitting on top of it. Don't worry about the doubling until you have the lead vocal blended into its own space. Also keep in mind that when you add a doubled voice, it may require reworking other parts of the mix.

I also think you may be singing a 3rd below where the lead vocals should be. I have no idea if I'm right, but when I wanted to sing along with the track, I was definitely wanting to be above where you were even though spots were a stretch for me. Not sure if it was a third or you were just flat, but singing your part also seemed to fit, I think it's just a harmony part you're singing. Which a third above or below can follow the lead matched exactly. But I could be totally wrong, hopefully someone can confirm that or let me know I'm totally wrong.

The tone of all the instruments sounds good, I like the lead guitar. You definitely did a good job playing and assembling the song, it's just not easy to mix multiple instruments, especially vocals.

Oh and one last tip that I learned is this.... Work a song until you think it's perfect, then leave it alone and don't listen to it for a day or so. Come back to it and listen critically the first time, necessary changes should stand out much more substantially than when you listen with tired ears that are expecting every note and part of the song.

Hope you take this for what it is and not bashing, just trying to help as best I can. ---Matt

Posted : 03/03/2011 3:48 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks for all of the in-site, Matt. lots of good points and observations. I'm still very much in the learning how it all works portion of my music "career". I really do appreciate your time and effort as I do everyone elses. Thanks again. 8) 8)

Roy

Posted : 03/03/2011 4:56 pm