Skip to content
Runaway Train - Cov...

Notifications
Clear all

Runaway Train - Cover (and recording testing)

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Getting back to my roots, so to speak. Single guitar arrangements. They're sooo much fun for me, and now I can get semi decent results when trying to record.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9487697

I got turned on to this song by Minotaur a few months back. Played it a few times and forgot about it the past couple of weeks until I was figuring out which songs I would use to test my moshed together recording gear and set up. Basically stated, I wanted a clear guitar channel and a clear vocals channel, and I wanted to be able to sing and play at the same time. I did "Thru and Thru", "Angie" and "Sister Morphine" as well. I've "published" 2 of those before, so something different this time. Angie's vocals were weaker.

'Runaway was the first of the evening yesterday. I did get better mic positioning later on and got less guitar noise getting to my vocals mic. The guitar, thru a multi-effects processor, was wired straight to my PC, so it's really clean.

This worked out OK. A couple rough edges here and there. As is normal, the most work I need is on the Vocals. I seemed to lack the ability to finish a phrase without ending with a whisper.

Any other tips or comments are appreciated.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 05/08/2010 5:27 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Some comments. Your strumming is really good and constant! Probably there are a couple of 'delays' in the strumming but I think they are in a difficult part for the voice (or perhaps a tricky chord).

Your voice is improving a lot. You seems 'very comfortable' and 'very calm' in this song, perhaps it is the correct key for you. I don't know but it is much better than the last song I heard from you.

On the 'technical side'. The guitar track is clear and also the voice. It sounds to an electric guitar in the clean channel of a good amplifier. It sounds very good. For this song perhaps you could try an acoustic simulator. Does your processor include that type of simulators? I have one but it is very noisy, maybe it is not a good idea.

Summaring: Well done Roy! :D

Posted : 05/08/2010 1:00 pm
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Yeah, it was good, wasn't it? I take credit for discovering him. :lol:
Some comments. Your strumming is really good and constant! Probably there are a couple of 'delays' in the strumming but I think they are in a difficult part for the voice (or perhaps a tricky chord).

Your voice is improving a lot. You seems 'very comfortable' and 'very calm' in this song, perhaps it is the correct key for you. I don't know but it is much better than the last song I heard from you.

On the 'technical side'. The guitar track is clear and also the voice. It sounds to an electric guitar in the clean channel of a good amplifier. It sounds very good. For this song perhaps you could try an acoustic simulator. Does your processor include that type of simulators? I have one but it is very noisy, maybe it is not a good idea.

Summaring: Well done Roy! :D

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

Posted : 05/08/2010 2:43 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks for listening and double thanks for commenting.

I think not smoking for 10 months has changed my voice a bit. I remember now what my one vocals lesson taught me. She said to keep my mouth open wide while singing. It helps to project.

I've got two ways to do the acoustic sim thing, but I never use them. I will indeed look into them again. What I would like to do is modify one of the HH guitars with tune-o-matic bridges with a Piezo saddle. something like this: http://www.fishman.com/products/details.asp?id=56

If Epiphone ever makes a combination of the LP Prophecy GX and a LP Ultra II, I'm getting one as soon as the budget will allow.

Mino's my pimp. A little heavy-handed. I pushed him to get me a gig once, and WHACK, down came the hammer. <sigh>

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 05/08/2010 3:55 pm
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Alright, Roy!
Big improvements in playing, singing and sound quality.
The singing is the biggest improvement. Maybe a little tentative in spots, but I know it was a single take. You sound committed to what you're singing, that's the most important thing.
The overall sound seems to lack a little warmth; just slightly 'brittle', like it needs a bass bump. But that's based on the Hi FIi soundclick stream which can do odd things. I'll d/l the mp3 and give it another spin.
Way to go!
:)

Don

Posted : 05/08/2010 4:18 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks, Don.

I think the stream is fairly representative of the recording, btw. No need to download the whole thing. :)

I do remember reducing the low end for something else recently, and did it globally on my m-fx unit. Now I can't remember why. :roll:

Roy

Posted : 05/08/2010 6:46 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

A friend has a Parker, I don't know the model but one expensive (> $3000). It is a double humbucker but they can operate as single coils and also a piezo (in fact I think you can do it all kind of combinations). I've played and it sounds very good!

Posted : 05/08/2010 7:25 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Nice job Roy! Keep em coming. :D

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 14/08/2010 2:52 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

i love this song roy, and i think you did a great job - the guitar especially was very well played, providing a strong consistant rhythm.

well done roy

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 24/08/2010 7:57 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Great job Roy, getting better at the singing.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 25/08/2010 4:43 am