15 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x6pnWYPE0s&feature=youtu.be

Marshall Haze 40

You can't see it but it's what I'm playing through. Also TF's Ibanez bass used to be active but the pots went all scratchy and he prefers passive so it is sporting a set of jazz pickups we installed.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 01/07/2012 1:53 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

OK, I'll bite.....

First thing, TR, no getting round the fact your vocals aren't great. A bit out of tune in places, a bit nasal....have you ever tried singing from the GUT? That's where good voices come from - not the heart, soul or throat, but from the gut. Try using your diaphragm....FORCE the voice out.

Second thing - you guys are tight. Timing's spot on, guitar's sounding great, bass is thumping along and carrying the rhythm. You sound excellent together. Solo's pretty cool too, and TF's stepping up to the plate (I think that's a fairly good descriptive American phrase) when you're cutting loose.

You've got a damn good guitarist, and damn good bass player too - all you need is a singer. Or more practise. If you practised your singing like you practised guitar, you'd be pretty damn good by now!

All in all, not a bad listen.....oh, the other thing about the vocals, they're a bit drowned out by the music...

hey I know you're a big fan of BOC....and if Mr Bouchard likes your cover, does it matter what anyone else thinks? I think not....

keep on rockin' TR - but please, work on those vocals. I used to absolutely hate loathe and detest the sound of my voice...till I started posting some of my songs a few years ago, and apologising in advance for the vocals. Turned out I had nothing to worry about, really - got lots of compliments. I got to the stage where I thought, "hell with it - I'll put everything I've got into it. Might not be much, but at least no one can accuse me of being half-hearted."

Just GO for it mate.....try singing along to the radio. Try recording yourself singing along to the radio....see how your voice compares.

As always, enjoyed the listen....I LOVE your guitar work! TR's pretty nifty too.....and you work well together.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 22/07/2012 12:30 am
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thank you Vic!

I do sing with the radio but need to practice alot more singing with the guitar and through the mic. I will differ on the practiced singing like I practice the guitar part though. I don't really practice the guitar, I just play it all the time. :lol: It comes sooooo easy and singing so hard. Thats where the work comes in though I suppose.

Your turn to post something. Get out that guitar!

If we aquire a drummer, I would say a lead singer is a must. I had mentioned before in another thread that TF is doing work and school full time so I hesitate to really push the thing right now. The boy is stressed and jamming is his outlet so I don't want to make that work for him just yet.

Oh! PS, how does the Marshall sound? I'm loving it!

Posted : 22/07/2012 2:44 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

As for the amp, can't really comment - I'm listening through tinny laptop speakers. Good enough to get a general idea, but way short of the quality required to deliver an opinion on tone. Sorry, TR, can't help with that one!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 22/07/2012 6:31 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thats OK Vic ..... it's a Marshall so trust me, it sounds amazing! 8) I worked a little overtime I wasn't expecting so I used the funds to spoil myself and this amp was a good deal. I traded a guitar in and the net cost for me was about $430. I do not regret it. It is my best amp. :mrgreen:

Posted : 22/07/2012 6:47 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

The amp (and guitar playing) sound very good.

Won't comment on the vocals until we - and you! - can hear them. Can you move the camera/mic to get a better balance?

Posted : 23/07/2012 12:41 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Probably can get a better balance but bet you won't like the vox! :lol: Thanks Laz!

Posted : 24/07/2012 3:33 am
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

I've had real singers tell me that practicing with the radio in the car is actually pretty bad for you, practice wise. I still do it anyway :)

One of my friends explained it as if the radio is too low, you won't sing loud enough and will be a little flat, if the radio is too loud, you'll strain and sing sharp. You also tend to harmonize with the singer on the radio rather than sing the correct part.

I figure if I'm practicing singing (practisinging?), that's better than not practicing at all.

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 24/07/2012 11:32 am
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

jeff that kind of makes sense about the singing along with the radio but I think everyone does it anyway. OK for me I don't sing anyway

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 24/07/2012 12:45 pm
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

OK... so to start I dont know that song, but I pegged it for BOC right off the rip!! So your doing something right!!

Ditto what was said about you two playing together. SEAMLESS!!!

Singing... LOL Im not going there till I get my singing in line... glass houses and all. :D

Amp...Granted Im through cheap computer speakers so I could be missing it a little.... I LOVE the old Marshall overdriven to the point of smoking tubes sound!!! That has hints of that... but to my ears its a little more "Gainy" if that makes sence. Maybe more like the later model Marshalls in the metal years???

All in all It was nice!!

Paul B

Posted : 24/07/2012 2:14 pm
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

I've had real singers tell me that practicing with the radio in the car is actually pretty bad for you, practice wise. I still do it anyway :)

One of my friends explained it as if the radio is too low, you won't sing loud enough and will be a little flat, if the radio is too loud, you'll strain and sing sharp. You also tend to harmonize with the singer on the radio rather than sing the correct part.

I figure if I'm practicing singing (practisinging?), that's better than not practicing at all.

Ive slowly worked on my singing sence I started playing, and I have seen that also. One thing it HAS helpped me with is to learn to change with the music, and not be as monotone as I was. In that case singing with CDs has helped. I dont get to pratice too much though... Im a lot self conscious with my playing, and moreso with singing... so I only like to pratice singing when noone else is around.

Paul B

Posted : 24/07/2012 2:19 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks everyone! Your feedback is very helpful. I probably won't sing any better but it gives me some things to try. I had mentioned this in the other thread where I just sound sampled the amp with a Shure mic in front of it, Paul thought it sounded a little high gain. People were bashing this amp because it wasn't high gain enough. It has the perfect amount of gain for me though so that is what is important. I'm sure Paul if you were to try one of these amps you could adjust the gain to get the sound you like. This is the dirty chanel with the boost on. It can be turned off or you can use the clean chanel with it's boost on and that has breakup as well.

Posted : 24/07/2012 5:35 pm
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Paul thought it sounded a little high gain. People were bashing this amp because it wasn't high gain enough. It has the perfect amount of gain for me though so that is what is important. I'm sure Paul if you were to try one of these amps you could adjust the gain to get the sound you like. This is the dirty chanel with the boost on. It can be turned off or you can use the clean chanel with it's boost on and that has breakup as well.

Ya... none said I was normal. :D

I havent seen one in person, but I DID plug into one of the Marshall 5wt tube amps over the winter. AWESOME!!!!! Im all about the overdrive!!! 8)

Paul B

Posted : 24/07/2012 5:46 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

That Marshall Class 5 looks like a great amp. I'm gassin for one of those too! :mrgreen:

Posted : 24/07/2012 6:04 pm
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

That Marshall Class 5 looks like a great amp. I'm gassin for one of those too! :mrgreen:
Ya thats the name... I forgot what it was called. Ya... its a sweet one!!!

Paul B

Posted : 24/07/2012 6:19 pm