Clear all

Smells Like Teen Spirit

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I've decided to keep at this song until I get it right. I've recorded it about 5? 6 times? Not sure exactly, I lost count. Anyway, any feedback would help me a lot.

http://owa.dmusic.com/

Note: I decided to make a few creative changes to it. I decided to have my fingers land between the strings at a few points. Everyone was doing it on the strings and I want to start a trend. There are other creative changes in there as well. I also recorded it with reverb, which I thought sounded cool.

Posted : 13/02/2006 8:49 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

OWA , why don't you put the music on soundclick as there it is somewhat easier for me to access (through their built in player.)

Just a suggestion.

Rahul

Posted : 14/02/2006 1:43 pm
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

It sounds to me like your playing to fast slow it down just a bit. That'll also give you time to make clean changes, and as always relax!!!! Won't be long and you'll have it. This one was a female dog to get on an acoustic for me I finally went for open chords rather than barres.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

Posted : 14/02/2006 3:24 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the reply. I posted a recording of it at 60bpm(sorry, force of habit to go into the chorus fast).

Lol and when I read your post I pictured a dog playing guitar, but then the strings broke from the dog's nails.

Posted : 14/02/2006 3:52 pm
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

haven't listened to all it all yet (still buffering) it's okay but like art said relax with it. i could be wrong but i'm not sure the tab youre using is correct. during the verse there seems to be some notes missing but thats the only thing i could pick up that wasn't 100%

Other than that it get there just keep strumming.

Minus Human

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

Posted : 14/02/2006 10:03 pm
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

I actually liked the faster version better. Probably because the original melody/rhythm cannot be conveyed easily at 60bpm. Good job.

And here's a bit of trivia about this song:

In a January, 1994 Rolling Stone magazine interview, Kurt, months away from his death, admitted that Smells Like Teen Spirit was an attempt to write a song by the Pixies: "I was trying to write the ultimate pop song. I was basically trying to rip off the Pixies. I have to admit it."

"I don't really hear it ,I think people think they hear it. They've been told. He [Kurt Cobain]probably intended it as a friendly wink from one musician to another. That's all."
(Frank Black -of Pixies- on the influence The Pixies had on Nirvana)

oktay

Posted : 15/02/2006 5:32 pm