72 Posts
28 Users
0 Likes
19.1 K Views
(@rahul)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Hello ,

I was finally able to record some songs with my vocals.I am really happy after doing that.After waiting for a whole long time , i finally knew the mistake i was making.

I was using 'line in' instead of using 'mic in' which kept the volume absurdly down.

These recordings i have made using Audacity and a karaoke mic...that's it.No mic stand , just kept it in a favourable position so that it could catch my voice and that of the guitar.

My computer is Win98SE with 128 RAM so the recording has come to be uneven at some places.There has been no editing and i did the songs in one go.(No sound engineeing...)

I will like to make more and more recordings in future.(And of my own songs too !)

Hope you enjoy them , :D

Rahul

Here's the recording link - http://www.soundclick.com/gn-rahul (or my music page...check it often now :P ! )

Posted : 15/03/2006 5:58 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Cool stuff!

Country Roads: Kickass song and cool rhythm guitar. Impressive tight rhythm for a one-take recording. I get the impression you might sing more comfortable if you change key, the highest parts are just a tad too high I guress.

Harvest moon: Good guitaring again, seems like this song better fits your vocals. Minor critic would be that the change between the riff and rhythm is a bit too abrupt, maybe melt it together a bit.

Norwegian wood: Much to my shame I have to adsmit I don't really know the song good enough to compare them. Your version sounds good though regardless of what the beatles did with it. :)

Comfortably numb: On itself nicelky done but how about adding some accoustic solo yourself? It's a bit basic this way.

In short: good stuff, guitar practice seems to be paying off. Do try your own songs, it will allow you to better fit in your voice, some parts of the covers just don't fit your range well which is unfortunate. Nice recording quality by the way, considering the circumstances. You might want to record guitar and vocals seperately maybe, if that's possible.

Posted : 15/03/2006 7:44 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Hey, Rahul.

Good job, bud!

Thanks for sharing.

8)

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 15/03/2006 9:45 pm
(@rahul)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks guys !.I hope to get more gear after my exams are over.You would fine less posts from me now on(or maybe none)

I cannot do the multi-track thing with audacity , because the memory is limited.It really makes the recording worse then ever.

In 'country roads' when i reach the Dchord my vocal waivers...that is actually due to my unfavourable position with the guitar on the chair...that i cannot open myself fully...

If anyone just saw the way i recorded , you would literally die laughing.Karaoke mic kept on a board with me stooping ahead to get my voice into it and holding the guitar in a way so that it doesn't gets too low.

Its not a matter of money or the like , its that...i never go out and search for the equipments.All i have been doing is playing since one year sharp (oh yes , my one year got completed only 3-4 days back !) , learning all myself.From tuning to everything.I never knew an year before i will reach this far with no one teaching or guiding.Infact these english songs also i heard all in the last year.You can properly put that year as a 'musical year' :P (and other type too...cauz i got into college 1st year...)

Its really addictive...way much more than i thought you know.I did all those songs like i was doing an open mic...

I also hate those nicks in the recordings (ahh the ram).So thank you all for take the time (and patience ) to go over those 'covers'and providing the feedback.

And remember , be back for more ! :D

Thanks ,

Rahul

Posted : 16/03/2006 6:18 am
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member

liked harvest moon the best. You have a similar style to me. And I do norwegian wood also. I want to get around to recording something, maybe angie, norwegian, HORS and a few others. Just a matter of getting off my butt.

Posted : 16/03/2006 7:41 am
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Wow thats nice :D You have a good voice and your guitar playing is getting very good. keep it up 8) --the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 16/03/2006 8:23 am
(@rahul)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Alright guys two more songs uploaded -

Words (by beegees)
While my guitar gently weeps (Beatles)

I was feeling tired yet i spent a lot of time in recording.I will practice and learn more seriously now , to keep the end of recording in my mind.

Thanks again , :)

Rahul

Posted : 16/03/2006 12:47 pm
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Good stuff Rahul!
I like your voice, and playing is good too! Could anybody get that man some decent recording equipment? ;)

Keep it up - seems like you're progressing fast!

Lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

Posted : 16/03/2006 1:36 pm
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Good stuff Rahul. Keep it up

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

Posted : 16/03/2006 3:02 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Good stuff Rahul!
I like your voice, and playing is good too! Could anybody get that man some decent recording equipment? ;)

Keep it up - seems like you're progressing fast!

Lars

LOL @ lars!!!!!!!

As the recording bug bites harder and harder, I'm sure Rahul will have to leave the forums to adventure out into the real world to buy better recording gear. A day with no posts from Rahul can only mean he went out and spent some dough... :wink:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 16/03/2006 3:20 pm
(@rahul)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Second update within a day...

3 more to bug your ears , my great listeners (and sufferers !)

1.Summer of 69 (very roughly done...but please hear it out...and if you want to shout on me...you have the mirror :wink:)

2.Donna - Ritchie Valens

3.Bachelor boy - Cliff Richard

Be back for more. :D (Though how long , i cannot say , as my exams are coming up next month )

EDIT - Some more (5 !!!) songs i have recorded and added today.That should be final for sometime to come...then again i will start.Enjoy (or not) all 8)

Posted : 16/03/2006 6:04 pm
(@rahul)
Famed Member
Topic starter

One more request please.Now that there are 15 songs (ahem ...cough) on my page , whenever you listen to any track please rate it also.Whether you find it good or totally pathetic...you know.

That helps in the charts position and encourages me to do more of recordings :wink:

Thanks ,

Rahul

Posted : 17/03/2006 4:36 pm
 gene
(@gene)
Estimable Member

Nice recording, Rahul, way to go, and you've got a decent voice.

Posted : 18/03/2006 3:45 am
(@rahul)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Sweet child of mine by GNR added.Please check it out and vote. :D

Thanks ,

Rahul

Posted : 19/03/2006 5:25 pm
(@alangreen)

Nicely done, Rahul.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 19/03/2006 6:26 pm
Page 1 / 5