Spring Invitational

19 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Part of Smokindog's Spring Invitational Online Jam.

Tres Hombres

1-start-1:36 - Almann
2-1:36-3:09 - Dogbite
3-3:09-end - Celt

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7576500

:note1: :note1: :note1:

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

Posted : 05/05/2009 9:12 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Good job, hombres . . . but I must say, Doggy kicked some donkey there.

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 05/05/2009 9:24 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Almann - I like the subtlety of your playing. Very Page like. 8)

Dogbite - Very close to what Jimmy Page plays for the solo to SIBLY, but with some very interesting additions. Nice. 8)

Celt - a lot of feeling in your playing. You really "felt" the groove. 8)

Great job everyone! :D

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 05/05/2009 9:38 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

oh, this turned out fine. :) . thanks Celt for the mix duty.
I have to say that I am tickled that we all ended up playing clean and natural.
we didn't rehearse.
I think you all had nice tone and showed lots of technique and feeling. 8) 8) 8)
cool licks Hombres.
thanks for having me along. :note2: :note1:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 06/05/2009 12:25 am
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

well im very impressed with you two guys!!!!

some great phrasing there dogbite, something i need to pay more attention to.
celt, thanks for mixing this together, and very well played, im glad i went first, i wouldnt have wanted to follow you two :D

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 06/05/2009 10:50 am
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

WOW

Guys this is seriously awesome ...

Well done

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

Posted : 06/05/2009 11:11 am
 etm
(@etm)
Estimable Member

1-start-1:36 - Almann : great job Almann.. nice feeling for the song..
2-1:36-3:09 - Dogbite : wow! old school tone dogbite.. very great.. slow rock feel
3-3:09-end - Celt : nice tone sir.. its very emotional

http://www.soundclick.com/etmphils
http://www.youtube.com/edwinmendiola78
http://www.facebook.com/pages/ETM/69309099145?ref=search

Posted : 06/05/2009 2:10 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

WOW! This is some great stuff!!! Is this just some stuff that's kind of improvised over backing track and mixed together over it?

Nice, mellow, loved every minute of it.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 06/05/2009 2:11 pm
 etm
(@etm)
Estimable Member

WOW! This is some great stuff!!! Is this just some stuff that's kind of improvised over backing track and mixed together over it?

Nice, mellow, loved every minute of it.

Yes its another improvised jam over backing track.. i like the sequence of these 3 jammers... its very consistent...

http://www.soundclick.com/etmphils
http://www.youtube.com/edwinmendiola78
http://www.facebook.com/pages/ETM/69309099145?ref=search

Posted : 06/05/2009 2:18 pm
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks Everyone,

Al and Dog did great on this and the mixing was real easy just some minor adjustments
to the volume and such. What always amazes me about these is the "Happy Accidents"
that occur. The way the parts overlap on this were totally unplanned and just fell together.
I have to say that I am tickled that we all ended up playing clean and natural.
we didn't rehearse.

That and the fact that we all left space at time and added more flourish at others .COOL 8)

I must agree with KR2's assessment of Doggy's donkey kicking ability here. He copied the
Page stuff well and then made it his own too.
Al did some amazing stuff too. It took a little more mixing but once it was in
it all worked.

Thanks Dan and emt for mentioning the feel and emotion on my part.
That was what I was going for and I'm glad someone picked up on my feeble attempt.

Happy Jammin'

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

Posted : 06/05/2009 6:41 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Another great collab. You guys rule!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 20/05/2009 10:31 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Excellent stuff all around, IMO, but I do have a couple of VERY minor nit picking quibbles.....

Al, I knew you could play a bit, but I didn't know you where THAT good - my only criticism is, you tried to pack too much in to too short a time. Ease off a little - you don't have to play every note twice at 200 beats per sec. Sounded good, oh yeah, really sounded good - but just a little restraint needed. Sounded like you were trying to show ALL your chops in the available time....that said, you still score highly on technical prowess - 9.25/10. I WILL catch your band playing one of these days, promise!

Dogbite...nailed it. Subtle, restrained, you know when to play and when not to play. 10/10

Celt - you're not in the same class as a lead player as Al and Dogbite, but what you lack in chops, you make up for with your understated delivery, your timing and your....well, I think SOUL is the best word for it. You obviously enjoyed yourself, and that feeling, that passsion, it all comes across and makes your part very listenable. 9/10

All in all, one of the best collabs I've heard from this forum - Al, Dogbite, John, you can all be proud of this one!

Excellent work, IMO, and thanks, guys, for sharing!

:D :D :D :D :D

Vic

(Five smileys there, notice, not the usual three.....)

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 21/05/2009 1:23 am
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

thanks vic - some kind words.

I agree i do definately cram to much in at the expense of good phrasing - in fact i did post a "can phrasing be taught?" thread a couple of weeks ago to ask for help on that (some very useful replies there as well).

i think i play like that because when i was (still am) learning lead, i just looked at the patterns, and when improvising i was always searching with my fingers for notes that resolved well, and as a result everything i did sounded "busy".

I have been working hard on my theory and that is getting better now (even if it is slow progress), but as a result i have formed this habit of playing that definately lacks good phrasing - i guess it will all come in time though eh :D unless i get hit by a bus then im only 3 years into a 40 - 50 year journey - and im enjoying the ride. :D

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 21/05/2009 11:00 am
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Celt - you're not in the same class as a lead player as Al and Dogbite, but what you lack in chops, you make up for with your understated delivery, your timing and your....well, I think SOUL is the best word for it. You obviously enjoyed yourself, and that feeling, that passsion, it all comes across and makes your part very listenable.

Thanks for the somewhat backhanded compliment Vic. The fact is you do speak the truth. I will never be
the most technical lead player so I tend to shoot for getting the most feeling out of what I am capable of.

I'm usually happy if I can stay in key :lol:

Glad you enjoyed it

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

Posted : 21/05/2009 6:05 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Celt, there were a few phrases in your section that stood out quite well I thought. Perhaps my favorite was the bend release starting at the 3:59 mark. It's hard to sound any cooler than that. 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 21/05/2009 8:03 pm
Page 1 / 2