Notifications
Clear all

Spring Invitational

19 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Thanks for the somewhat backhanded compliment Vic. The fact is you do speak the truth. I will never be
the most technical lead player so I tend to shoot for getting the most feeling out of what I am capable of.]

That's exactly where I stand - I'll never be a great, or fast, lead guitarist. So I play to my strengths - I try for a melodic lead line, hold notes, bend notes, use a lot of vibrato. Works for me. Seems to be working for you, too, John - funny, I never think of you as a lead guitarist - I think of you primarily as a good songwriter (with one foot in the blues, as Smokindog once said!) who knows how to put a song across - and having heard a lot of your songs via the SSG and Soundclick these past few years, as a very good rhythm guitarist who's got an almost instinctive awareness of what chord will fit where.

I've always enjoyed your music - and a little bonus for me, when Dan and Laura were here last weekend, they gave Scrybe and me a copy of "Songs and Sandwiches" each. Your "Time For Makin' Love" is there - always did think that was a good song, and the CD version more than does it justice.

So keep writing, keep playing, and keep singing - we haven't heard enough from you the last few months or so!

I look forward to the day when you can take a more active part in the SSG again - you've written some really good songs there, over the years. Hopefully, the muse will kick back in soon....

All the best my friend,

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 22/05/2009 12:04 am
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Hey Vic. thanks for the review. I am an old dog now. I have to save my energy for climbing stairs, etc.
that's why I play the way I do. :oops:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 22/05/2009 8:24 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Sorry, I missed this post!

Three different tones, three great tones.

Almann: Great set of guitar playing resources.
Dogbite: Sometimes I think I'm a lucky man.
John: Very expressive!

Thanks for sharing, thanks for showing how to play!

Posted : 27/05/2009 3:31 pm
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks for listening Nuno

:note1: :note1: :note1:

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

Posted : 27/05/2009 9:38 pm