The Construct - Progressive rock (metal

14 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
 PJS
(@pjs)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Tell me what do you think about my humble attempt to create some progressive rock following the footsteps of Rush and Tool. All instrumets played by yours truly.

http://www.mikseri.net/music/play.php?id=207567&type=dl

Guitars are recorded with a Fender Stratocaster, a shit load of pedals and a Peavey Classic 30 miked with the everpresent shure SM57. Bass and synths are (mostly) programmed and the drums are done with a combination of a triggerpad and the natural studio ns_kit7 Free. The Recording program I used is the Sonar 4.[/url]

Posted : 01/08/2006 1:30 am
(@dneck)
Prominent Member

hey it sounds good, the recording quality is awsome too.

Did you using the lydian scale to make this song?

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

Posted : 01/08/2006 3:04 am
 PJS
(@pjs)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Nah, I didn't think about any scales or anything when I did it. I just jammed around with my drummer at our rehearsal room and came up with this. The whole thing kinda moves around the Dm. The thing that I like about this song, is that the feel of the song changes pretty smoothly from a kinda depressing atmosphere to a more easy going and the natural pulse of the song still stays there all the way to the end.

Posted : 01/08/2006 3:07 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I like all of them, but especially penguins :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 01/08/2006 3:48 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Sounds very good...could use some vocals :D --the dog
The guitars are excellent :D :D :D

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 02/08/2006 3:02 am
 PJS
(@pjs)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks dude! I put alot of effort in recording the guitars on this one.

Posted : 02/08/2006 2:35 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

One way to make this song better - vocals! :D I really like the song. Great mood changes. If not vocals, maybe some lead guitar ala Vai or Satriani? 8)

Good job!

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 05/08/2006 2:01 pm
 PJS
(@pjs)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Yeah! You're kinda right on that vocal-thing, but since this is a sort of an interlude between the Prog-Ep that I'm working on now I thought id leave it as it is, its intended as a part of a larger "masterplan". I could add a melody line in there, maybe with an E-Bow. It'll just have to be something that glues the whole thing and is a logical step between the two sides of the EP, while maintaining the "red line" of the whole thing and the particular song itself.

PS. I really dig theme-albums...

Posted : 06/08/2006 9:52 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member
(@nottheguy)
Estimable Member

Great tone - I would have never thought that was a strat!

I only listened to the 1st one - and its really good stuff. Loved the mellow section in the middle - I will definitely come back and listen to all of them

Its a great thing when you realize you still have the ability to surprise yourself.

Posted : 07/08/2006 10:04 pm
 PJS
(@pjs)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Great tone - I would have never thought that was a strat!

I only listened to the 1st one - and its really good stuff. Loved the mellow section in the middle - I will definitely come back and listen to all of them

I thought that people would just comment on the *The Construct* Prog thing, *The System* is a nother track from the same EP. The first one is a song I did for a summerhit-competition on a nother forum. Most of the songs are demos, and the older ones ( the 4 bottom ones, exept for *psycedelic groove*) are 4 years old, they've even got some vovals on them, but since I'm such a crappy singer the vocals arent that great.

If you still havent heard enough you could allways checkout my number one band, Mother Funk Bone, I posted a link on this forum a couple of weeks ago. MFB is Hendrixescue (is that even a proper word?) funkrock.

Posted : 08/08/2006 3:00 pm
(@smokehouse)
Honorable Member

nice sound :D vocals for me would make it 8)

:WHO INVENTED WORK SHOULD COME BACK AND FINISH THE JOB OFF: http://www.soundclick.com/bartin

Posted : 10/08/2006 4:08 pm
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Nicely done. I like the bass on it especially. Vocals? Maybe not with lyrics. Maybe 3-4 voices doing soft oo's and ahh's in the background; sorta Pink Floydish voices way, way back there.

Good job. Nice bass tone and nice playing on it too - coming from a bassist's perspective :)

Posted : 11/08/2006 3:30 pm
(@margaret)
Noble Member

PJS,

You got some rockin' tunes there!

I'll be back to listen to the other half of them another time.

Nice work!

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 13/08/2006 3:54 pm