Clear all

Theme of Love

14 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Just another one of me playing on my Classical Guitar. A short musical called "Theme of Love"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycBUaeCDNd4

I still can't seem to get a good recording down in front of the camera. I can play this with my eyes closed backwards and forwards, but when that red light comes on...ugh...takes forever, so there is a couple duff notes in here but I think it sounds okay on my speakers.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 15/03/2009 6:41 pm
 Trev
(@trev)
Eminent Member

Awesome! It makes me want to go learn some Final Fantasy songs now. It also reminds me of this time I was talking to one of my friends on the phone and he told me the only music he has been playing on guitar lately was Final Fantasy. At first i thought he meant the band, but he was like, "I know what you're thinking, from the actual game not the band."

Good job though, it sounds really nice. It was definitely good enough for youtube, I can't imagine how good you are at it when not recording!

Posted : 15/03/2009 9:19 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Very nice piece and perfect playing. Joe, I think you are working correctly. Congrats!

Thanks for sharing.

Posted : 15/03/2009 9:31 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks guys I appreciate it!

Final Fantasy has some great music, and learning the pieces has helped my finger dexterity and stretching greatly!

Posted : 17/03/2009 3:25 am
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Joe, your playing is improving exponentially now. it has been a pleasure to witness.
very sweet tune. it looks like you are reading music and playing . true?
I can't sight read. I can read. I can play what I have read. but not like what you are doing.
cool. Joe.
the song is beautifully written. you play it well.
I wonder if there could be more feeling?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 18/03/2009 12:56 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Sight reading...I wish.

No, it's sort of memorized after practicing it for a week, it's not a very long piece, it's just two pages with a repeat of one of them.

Thanks for the comments though.

I'm wondering about the feeling myself, it's not coming across on the camera very well, but it's there, I dont' really know how to "show" the feeling....any help on this would be great because I do feel the music when I'm playing, but I'm kind of robotic.

Posted : 18/03/2009 3:07 am
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

not showing feeling. it's the actual playing. techniques like vibrato, arpeggios, little nuances that come out of the fingers.
all this stuff makes the song more emotional, so to speak.
no, I don't want to see you with a tear on your cheek while playing. :oops:

Posted : 18/03/2009 10:41 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I already said it. After my first recording, a blues, I shown it to a friend that conducts a small orchestra (they play and represent zarzuela). He studied in a conservatory. One of his teachers used to say that you can not be musician and mechanic simultaneously. And he told me same that Dogbite told you. In fact Dogbite also told me the same! :lol:

Probably we, the beginners, are more busy thinking on the correct note than how to express a kind of feeling.

After a couple of years I don't know if I'm able to play with feeling but I try to do it. I learnt some issues by listening, for example, the Dogbite's recordings but probably IMHO the guitar player that puts more feeling is B.B. King. I think he puts more feeling in a single note than I can put in the entire song! :lol:

Posted : 18/03/2009 2:00 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

nuno, you are right about focus and level of playing.
here is an example that applies:
whe n I taugh art in college I had three levels of students.
here is what I observed.
I taught ceramics by the way....
the beginners had no experience with the material. they knew of no intricint limitations of clay.
when given an assignment the Idea was foremost in their minds and hands. they went to great lengths, surpassing those limitations of material, to get that Idea.
the itermediate students now had some experience with the material. here I noticed that technique came to the foreground and the Idea suffered. mastering the material was the unconscious goal.
with the third year students Idea and technique began to come together. the result was content and form created with seeming ease. the Idea stood out support by technique.

:idea:

Posted : 18/03/2009 2:38 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I've found that when I practice, I dread the part where I have to practice a new technique . . .
I do that first 'til I've made some progress . . .
because I've learned that after a certain point of repeating something you get diminishing returns . . .
so I'm satisfied with just making a little progress on that technique . . .
and it sounds so mechanical . . . not very musical
AND THEN . . .
I can start having fun . . .
try a new chord progression . . .
apply a learned technique to it . . .
throw in some suspended chords with any finger that's not fretting . . .
with different strum patterns . . .
or use that finger picking pattern from that other song on these new chords . . .
what would a hammer on here sound like? . . . or a pull off?
and I'm thinkin' "Look at me! . . . I'm a jammin' and a groovin' " or "Whoa! That's cool" or . . .
"Whoa that sucked!" (way too many of those)

That's where I put in my heart and soul into the music.
That's when playing becomes fun.

So, what am I saying?
You are making leaps and bounds in technique, Joe . . . absolutely awesome.
Have some fun with the song . . . once you get the technique down . . .
kick back and put your own interpretation on it . . . put that pause in where you feel it . . .
emphasize that chord a little stronger here or there . . .
If you're feeling it . . . I would think it would show . . .
but then, being in front of a camera is enough to make my fingers turn to butter . . .
and my brain into mush.

As always, you pick cool songs . . .
I follow your choices just so I can discover new ones.

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 18/03/2009 2:54 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the input guys! There's alot of good information there! The technique I'm trying to learn, and I don't know the term for it, but it's kind of playing the strings all at once, but kind of off a split second or something, the tab kind of looks like this for what I'm talking about:

----(3)--------
----2---------
----(2)-------
----2---------
---------------
---------------

Where every other note is set off by just a bit.

Posted : 19/03/2009 2:53 am
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hey Joe

That was a beautiful song and well played. It is one that I would like to have in my (small) repertoire just to make everyone go .... ahhhhhhh, at the end.. :D

Never heard of the Final Fantasy songs or anything like that... a sheltered life perhaps...

Hey, big respect for the piano playing as well - I had two weeks away from my guitar and there was a nice Yamaha grand sitting in the corner so I messed around with that. Bored the local wildlife to death with Coldplays Clocks - the usual kids stuff...then another piece but never got anywhere near being able to sing along... I prostrate myself at your feet....

Rock on!
D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 19/03/2009 10:56 am
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

i'm more of a Metal Gear Solid man myself when it comes to computer games, then "pro ev soccer" - but im obviously missing out music wise. That was very well done - keep posting!

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 19/03/2009 7:37 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

i'm more of a Metal Gear Solid man myself

Funny you should say that, I'm working on one from MGS 4 :lol:

Hey, big respect for the piano playing as well - I had two weeks away from my guitar and there was a nice Yamaha grand sitting in the corner so I messed around with that. Bored the local wildlife to death with Coldplays Clocks - the usual kids stuff...then another piece but never got anywhere near being able to sing along... I prostrate myself at your feet....

At least you can play a song like "Clocks" I can't do that. As far as singing and playing...I wouldn't call it that, I was just messing around with a chord progression from the Piano Course "Piano for All" and trying to do a bit of improvising with it.

But thanks for the comments, they are much appreciated!!

Posted : 20/03/2009 3:00 am