Clear all

Wanting opinion on recording 'sound'

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@mcdouggy)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hey, here are two links - one high quality, one low - to a recording of the rhythm track for one of our songs, and we were wondering if you could comment on the actual sound of the recording (ignore the bands mistakes for now - we know!), how it could be improved and so on.

http://www.onashoestring.org.uk/music/YDANrhy_hi.mp3
http://www.onashoestring.org.uk/music/YDANrhy_lo.mp3

At the moment we're recording 'live' into a mixer with mikes, and line-in in places, like this:

Guitar 1 (right) - Dynamic close miked into mixer
Guitar 2 (left) - Effects loop send into mixer
Bass - Line out into mixer
Drums - 2 small condenser mikes above at the back aimed into the drums, 1 dynamic close miked on the bass drum.

The mixer we're using is a Behringer UB1202.
The whole mix is sent by a phono - 1/8" lead into a computer line-in.

I personally think the bass could do with being raised in the mix, and the bass drum, but this means recording the whole track live again, this is because we haven't got enough money for the equipment for recording multiple tracks at the same time! We're going to multi-track the guitar solos (start about 2:40 in) and the vocals at a later date.

We're hoping to use the recordings we eventually finish for getting gigs at local venues, and flog it at venues to raise money for new equipment - we're teenagers and skint.

Thanks in advance.

Doug
On A Shoestring
http://www.onashoestring.org.uk

Visit my band's website!

Posted : 11/02/2006 6:04 pm
(@fishhead785)

you should try having the the tracks in stereo rather than left and right..it will sound bigger and better

Ron

Posted : 11/02/2006 9:59 pm
(@mcdouggy)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thanks for replying but do you mean stereo miking? Because as far as I know, the whole recording already is in stereo..

Doug

Visit my band's website!

Posted : 11/02/2006 10:29 pm
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Hey, here are two links - one high quality, one low - to a recording of the rhythm track for one of our songs, and we were wondering if you could comment on the actual sound of the recording

How much detail do you want?

It sounds like one of the guitar players mixed it. The bass and drum are simply overwhelmed in the mix.

Did the drum kit have cymbals? Were they used? If so, you've got some type of issues with the overheads that totally killed your high end frequencies.

Remix. Bring both Guitars down. WAY down. until they balance with the drums and bass.

Once you can hear all the instruments, you can tell what it needs to sound better.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

Posted : 12/02/2006 4:59 am
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

When I listen to the hi.mp3 file with my good headphones it doesnt sound too bad.
The general sound quality is good to be a "home" recording .
But,all the guitars (including bass) should have been level balanced to a lower level and been paned to a more center stereo position.
And the bass drum should have been raised to a higher level, its hard to hear.

When I listen with speaker monitors, the stereo balance is even more wrong.
It is as the sound comes from two speakers (left and right) and nothing in between.

A question, why didn´tt you do an instrument by instrument multitrack recording on the PC with for example the free multi track recording SW Kristal Audio Engine ?

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

Posted : 12/02/2006 4:47 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Sorry, can't listen to them. When downloaded the files end up as 1kb and both winamp and mediaplayer refuse to play it both online and offline.

Posted : 12/02/2006 5:20 pm