Skip to content
Whoopin' the Rat (N...

Notifications
Clear all

Whoopin' the Rat (Naughty-words gallore, parental advisory)

17 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

The next step would be to program the computer to look for common (similar) factors for songs of the genre and then generate its own song based on those factors (for that genre). It's going to be real freaky when the [Enter] button is pushed and out of the computer's speakers comes a composition that Mozart could have written.

Hah, having problems keeping up with the rest of the world again Ken? A little while ago an American university/conservatory (Berkley IIRC) produced a program, very much like Band-in-a-box, that would 'generate' compositions in the style of Mozart. No other composer or genre, just Mozart. It would print the score and they had it played by their own orchestra. The vast majority of the public had no idea it was computer generated instead of carefully crafted by one of the world's brightest geniusses. Imitating what's been done before is easy, it's what the music industry has lived off ever since money was invented (Aemulatio et imitatio!). The next step is linking the score (which is ofcourse MIDI) to VSTs and have them interpretate dynamic markings properly. But we're a few years from that yet.

People I've talked to about this often say that they feel this will be the end of human music. I disagree, this will be the end of human ripping-off. Computers can clone and reproduce music better then we can so we should focus on making original music. And if a computer wants to copy us after that, fine with me. It'll always be one step behind us because we've got something a computer will never have: creativity and originality.

Dogbite: heh, you can say that again. I'm not just living the artists life, I've got the bills to prove it! :lol:

Alman: Thanks for listening and commenting, glad you liked it. :D

Ah well, I'm away from all my gear so don't expect something new within the next few days. On the other hand this should give me some much-needed time to check out what the rest of GN has been doing the past weeks, looking forward to that!

Posted : 05/07/2008 7:19 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Hah, having problems keeping up with the rest of the world again Ken? A little while ago an American university/conservatory (Berkley IIRC) produced a program, very much like Band-in-a-box, that would 'generate' compositions in the style of Mozart.
Always have trouble keeping up. I have the luxury of blaming old age though.
Mozart? Really? I just grabbed that as an example. What a coincidence.

Creating is a whole different game. (Not inserting personal philosophy here)

Computer output is only as good as the garbage it's fed and, at best, spitting back something that is the intention of the programming . . . and that is only if you are very, very good at programming.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 05/07/2008 8:01 pm
Page 2 / 2