Clear all

Alesis Multimix 8 USB problem!

14 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
32.3 K Views
(@mestinon)
Topic starter  

I just purchased the mixer a few weeks ago and I never could get cubase to work and I had Magix Music studio 10 delux. I still to this day cant get the mixer to work. I cant even find the drivers for it. For some reason When I try to install the driver off the cd it just quits out in the middle of the installation. So i figured I would look online and the Alesis multimix 8 USB doesnt have drivers on their website for some reason. just PDF files like manuals and crap. the only thing that installed was the alesis firewire control panel which that doesnt work either. But I noticed its called firewire. I dont know if that matters or not but my mixer is usb. Any ideas? The mixer itself works, I just cant get my comp to recognize it for some reason. driver problem somewhere, which sucks.

windows xp, 3.6g process,1gram, nvidia 6800.

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Are you sure? The Alesis site has the driver for downloading (Docs & Downloads):

http://www.alesis.com/multimix8usb20

Anyway, did your receive a CD/DVD with the mixer? Did you install the drivers? If your mixer is the USB version, why did you install the Firewire control panel? Or is it a generic control panel for the Alesis devices?

ReplyQuote
(@mike-lee)

hey i just got the multimix 8 usb, i installed the drivers on my mac and plugged in, it was working fine when just running through my desk to output, i switched to recording through the mac using logic and everything was going fine. but after a while a realy loud! buzzing appeared and make everything impossible, ive tried it in a mates mac and it worked ok but i get the same prob every time through my mac. ive sent back for a new one and this one has exactly the same problem. ANY HELP PLEASE!

ReplyQuote
(@yukonaughtica)

I use Logic with Alesis Multimix 8 USB. From the beginning, I realized there is a tiny high pitch hiss noise. If I do not connect USB, I do not hear that. Does anyone has same problem? I am wondering if it is Logic... How could I fix this?

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

I use Logic with Alesis Multimix 8 USB. From the beginning, I realized there is a tiny high pitch hiss noise. If I do not connect USB, I do not hear that. Does anyone has same problem? I am wondering if it is Logic... How could I fix this?

Sounds like you might have a ground loop problem. Do you have anything plugged into the mixer?

The USB port on mine quit working after a few months. I just got an external USB soundcard and use the 2 track in and master out on the mixer.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

I had one of these, had 2 of them actually because the first one had that problem....then the 2nd one did. I tried this on several outlets in my house, in different locations, same thing.

I ended up just getting a Zoom R16. A bit more pricey, but well worth it.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@terencepaul)

the high pitched noise is normally the power supply to your computer. If its a laptop run it on the battery and you won't hear a sound. Except hopefully the sound you want to hear.

ReplyQuote
(@guitareng)

The problem with USB detection is that the ground connection between the USB Connector and the audio chip PCM2900's digital ground is missing. This is more like a design error than a manufacturing one. There should be a hardwired connection there for the USB circuit to properly function but it is not there - a parasitic connection is made via the protective earth between the PC's power supply and the mixer but even a 1V difference there can cause the circuit to malfunction. I soldered a wire between the digital ground of the PCM2900 and the USB connector and instantly all the problems went away. Previously the PC never was able to load the driver (if it got that far and detected that something was plugged in) now it was sailing thgrough.
Initially I thought that the PCM2900 was damaged but after I replaced it and the problem persisted I new something else was wrong. All internal regulator output voltages on the PCM2900 were out of spec. that gave me the clue. After some debugging I found the missing ground connection and after that it was straightforward.

I hope this helps. If you do not know what you are doing, find a local tech - this is a 5 minute job. I am not affiliated with Alesis I am just a user with some engineering background.

ReplyQuote
(@beats6)

Hi there, new to the forum, just bought an Alesis Multimix 8 USB FX.I cannot get the Cubase software working. Can you recommend alternate software, basically bought the multimix to play backing tracks, to oaccompany guitar. Just starting off at this, any help would be greatfully appreciated! Thanks Ken

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Hi there, new to the forum, just bought an Alesis Multimix 8 USB FX.I cannot get the Cubase software working. Can you recommend alternate software, basically bought the multimix to play backing tracks, to oaccompany guitar. Just starting off at this, any help would be greatfully appreciated! Thanks Ken

Go ahead and get Reaper.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@hatman13)

I have once and for all finally solved the Alesis Multimix8 USB high pitched noise problem, and it's so simple it's ridiculous.
I'm going to go ahead and assume that most of you are using the ASIO4ALL driver for your recording program, and that you only get the high pitched noise when you are using your recording program. What I want you to do first is look into your ASIO4ALL settings and see if you have your computer's audio device enabled as well as your USB audio codec IN and OUT on. IF this is the case, then it's settings that are causing your noise. Here's why: What you may not realize is that the Multimix8 USB is both an input AND output device over USB, and that you can route sound out through your computer and into your mixer WITHOUT connecting, say, your 2track inputs or aux returns or line ins. Just make sure that your computer's audio (speaker output) device is disabled in ASIO4ALL, your only physical connection between your mixer and your computer is the USB port, and that the IN and OUT sides of your USB audio codec are enabled in ASIO4ALL. Your recording program at this point should map your audio outputs to USB (if not, do it yourself) and you should be noise-free. With both USB and analog outputs being routed to your mixer at once, of course you're going to get noise! (Don't let this post fool you, I had been doing the wrong thing for a long time before I got sick of it and had an epiphany! I just get pissed off when people say that it's a grounding issue because that's where they believe all noise comes from)

ReplyQuote
(@c0d3h4x0r)

The problem with USB detection is that the ground connection between the USB Connector and the audio chip PCM2900's digital ground is missing.

[EDIT]
Based on looking at the PCM2900 datasheet and pinout diagram located here: http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/sles035e/sles035e.pdf

I took apart my MultiMix 8 USB and soldered a wire from the DGND pin (3rd from upper-right corner of the chip) directly to pin 4 (GND) of the USB jack. I tested continuity between those points before soldering the wire, and my multimeter showed perfect continuinity to begin with, but I went ahead and soldered the wire anyway (nothing to lose, this mixer sucks ass for recording and I already ordered a different USB 2.0 audio interface because I'm so sick of how noisy this one is).

It didn't seem to improve the high-pitched noise at all. So to anyone else hoping this would be the "magic bullet", spare yourself a few hours and just ditch this mixer and get something better.

ReplyQuote
(@kimert)

The problem with USB detection is that the ground connection between the USB Connector and the audio chip PCM2900's digital ground is missing. This is more like a design error than a manufacturing one. There should be a hardwired connection there for the USB circuit to properly function but it is not there - a parasitic connection is made via the protective earth between the PC's power supply and the mixer but even a 1V difference there can cause the circuit to malfunction. I soldered a wire between the digital ground of the PCM2900 and the USB connector and instantly all the problems went away. Previously the PC never was able to load the driver (if it got that far and detected that something was plugged in) now it was sailing thgrough.
Initially I thought that the PCM2900 was damaged but after I replaced it and the problem persisted I new something else was wrong. All internal regulator output voltages on the PCM2900 were out of spec. that gave me the clue. After some debugging I found the missing ground connection and after that it was straightforward.

I hope this helps. If you do not know what you are doing, find a local tech - this is a 5 minute job. I am not affiliated with Alesis I am just a user with some engineering background.

This sounds like it has all the rational and logic it needs to be correct - for the problem of the mixer not being recognized by windows. not the noise thingy - i'll cross that bridge when i get the usb working again. i did work when i first got it, but i installed another external usb audio card subsequently (extigy) and now it only sees an "unknown device".

so how big a difference is there between the quality of usb v. just plugging the main mix out to my internal sound card? i can't hear a giant difference, but i could be wrong - too many years of 100 decibels on stage to be too trusting of my analog hearing.... can't wait for direct digital connect to the lobes. that'll be sweet!

kimert

ReplyQuote
(@mjdupre)

I'm having a similar problem with a iMultimix8 but with a bit of a twist.

Using Mixcraft I'm able to record and playback fairly well using the Wave driver, though there is a horrible delay.

I've installed the Asio4all driver and using it I'm able to record and playback through the mixer with amp hooked up to either the control room out or main out.

This works fine except that there is a horrible whine on the amp as long as I have the Aai4all driver enabled.
As soon as I disable it (switch to Wave) it goes away.

The whine is not present on recordings made with the Asio4all driver when played back using the pc speakers.

I tried grounding the multimix to the PC by running a cable from the PC chasis to the multimix chasis and it seems to help.

So why does this ONLY happen with ASIO driver as opposed to the Wave configuration ????

and yes I've disabled the other IO devices using the ASIO configuration, only the multimix is enabled

ReplyQuote