Skip to content
Strange High Freque...

Notifications
Clear all

Strange High Frequency Noise While Shreddin?

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@matsuemon)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey axemen,
I have a question for you, about something that I've noticed recently. When I'm playing heavy metal with my Metal Master X-Series pedal, it sounds great, but I've also noticed a high pitched "cutting" like sound over the distorted sound. I notice it more when I'm doing fast downpicking because I'm striking the strings more. I've tried to EQ it out, but I don't think I'm going to be able to without turning the sound to crap. So my question is, is this common for all heavy-distortion units, or is it a problem with how my amp is handling the sound? I use a 30 watt Kustom tube/solid state combo amp.
I haven't tried recording it yet, so it might actually sound a lot better recorded with a mic, but I can see this might become a problem, and I'm not sure if I need a different amp, better distortion unit/pre-amp, or both? Thanks for your help

--Jason

(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member

Is it a steady tone or does it cut in/out with your picking?

If it's steady, is it feedback? Maybe move further from the amp?

If it cuts in/out with the notes, are they harmonics either artificial or natural? Do they get worse when you're around the 5th 7th and 12th frets? Does it happen if you change your picking style, like maybe you're accidentally triggering pinch harmonics?

Also, does it go away if you change pickups?

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

It could be your brain melting.

It could be clipping. Try turning your guitar down and amp up and see if it continues.

Try leaving all of the settings the same and bypass the pedal.

ReplyQuote
(@matsuemon)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

It could be your brain melting.

It could be clipping. Try turning your guitar down and amp up and see if it continues.

Try leaving all of the settings the same and bypass the pedal.

Hey Nick, haha yah I hadn't considered my brain melting, but I won't rule that out! It doesn't make the sound with other overdrive pedals or with just my amps distortion. It's just the sound of the pick attack on the strings, but it's really sharp and I'm afraid it'll distract from the rest of the sound. Like I said, I need to try a recording and see how it sounds. It's not clipping, though, I've ruled that out. I'll keep at it, but thanks for your input!

ReplyQuote