Skip to content
Another attempt Rev...

Notifications
Clear all

Another attempt Revised with JWMartin Drums!!!

13 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I did another recording tonight. This time I have a bass player. A Sans Amp Bass Driver would be nice but we don't have one so I let my son dial in his sound best as he could on the GT2. I incorporated all the suggestions from Cold Gin. I hope I am improving on my technique. Comments are more than welcome. Forgive me for the less than perfect solo ....... I'm not Randy Rhodes. :P

http://soundcloud.com/wickedfester/13crazytrain

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=476208&content=songinfo&songID=11911972

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

You got a pretty good mix there. Is the drum track MIDI? If so, would you be interested in sending me the midi file and letting me tweaking the drum sound?

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Sure! Just PM me your E-Mail. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Nice. For me, a little more reverb on the guitar, and a little less on the vocal, but I'm being picky...

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I'd like a little more separation on the lead guitar. To me it sounds like the fuzz is overdone - I would opt for more "crunch" in the style of a Marshall turned up to 11 in the style of Angus Young rather than the buzz-saw sound which seems to be popular amongst US amp manufacturers. I'd also use a VOX AC30-style sound for the guitar solo.

Things I'd point you in the general direction of which appeal to me - for what I think is a good solo sound listen to Iron Maiden's "Phantom of the Opera" on their first album, especially the 3rd section before the main theme comes back in. For the crunch, I'd take a cue from the opening bars of Foo Fighters' "All My Life" or AC/DC's live version of "Whole Lotta Rosie" from "If you Want Blood You've Got It". Other guitar sounds which I find exquisite are most of the guitar sounds on "Band Of Joy" by Robert Plant which came out the other year.

I'm not saying that your recording isn't good - I enjoyed it greatly. All I'm suggesting is the kind of sound I'd want to put out.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks again guys! I'm having fun doing this. Alan, I used the Marshall setting on my amp model, high gain as opposed to hot wired and only had the gain half way up. My other option is the clean setting. My Marshall Haze amp is supposed to have a classic rock sound and not have enough gain for modern sounds, yet when I posted samples people thought it sounded like a modern Marshall. Could part of it be my technique? Certainly when you use gain on a recording, as I have read, a little goes a long way. When I was younger, the way to set a gain/distortion knob was to turn it clockwise as far as it would go. My tastes are changing with age but I suppose I'm still a bit of a metal head.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Everything is very very very good as always.

I agree with the crunch comment. I've always heard the guitar in this song as a crunch type thing. I'm wondering if this isn't already in there. I'm at home now. I'm going to mess with a couple of marshall sims I have and try to see what it takes to get it out in PT tomorrow.

In the end, though, if you like this distortion verses the crunch tone, by all means, play it! I'm just an eager upstart with no skill trying to hang with the cool kids. 8) 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Well, I'm in "Work Land" now, but when I get some more days off I think I'll redo the guitars with my Peavey Classic 30 and Shure mic. Old school all the way. The playing could be better anyhow. My son can do his track through his practice bass amp and we'll compare that too. I want to bring it up to the specs of Cold Gin. I need to reupload that to Sound Click and see how it sounds there.

Roy, when do we get to hear more stuff from Mongo and the Pawns of Life? Looking foreward. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

This thread inspired me to see what I could come up with by using one of the EQ's on a user patch in my GT-100. I found one named "Frehley". It used two Marshall sims going the dual-channel route. No distortion pedals, and the gain range was mid-way in the medium setting. (It can go 0-100 in each Low, Medium and High ranges.) This surprised me. I always thought of the gain on that tone as being dimed for the era. Just like you said.

At any rate, I dialed up a few good things, but not quite what I was looking for. The EQs I tried were ones that I don't have any feel for yet. I'd probably do better upstairs on the Pro Tools plugins or even straight from the 11-Rack.
Roy, when do we get to hear more stuff from Mongo and the Pawns of Life? Looking foreward.
I'm working on two covers right now. They wont take 6 months like the last one. Both have hit stumbling blocks as I hit new-to-me stuff. I've got another original brewing as well, but it's no further than a basic beat right now.

I'm also creating a few harder Rock cover backing tracks using Band in a Box software called Real Band (RB for short). I think Kossoff used Oranges, but I did find the tone that I mentioned earlier in this post. The J.J. Cale written Clapton hit that can't be written here and get through. One other one that escapes me right now.

There is one that is directly inspired from last night's efforts and will be done. China Grove. I'll have to learn the whole song. :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

OK .... new guitars, new vocals, Jeff's drum track! Wooo Hooo! It rocks. Please pay close attention to my son's bass lines. He is truely worthy of the monicer "Thunder Fingers"! Jeff himself said he kicked butt on the track. 8)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=476208&content=songinfo&songID=11911972

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

That is excellent!

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Why thank you!!! :mrgreen: 8) I had some excellent production tutors! Excellent drum tweaking as well!

OK Here is what we used .... (TR is glowing at the thought his recording sounds good) I played my Kramer Standard Pro with the bridge pickup (Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates) through my Peavey Classic 30 amp. My Son played his Jackson Concert Bass through my Sans Amp GT2. I don't know what Jeff did to the drums but they rock! I doubled the guitar track. You can hear a harmonizer type effect in the solo. I didn't have the guitar mixed high enough to hear it so the bends were not exact. I could have fixed it but I liked the way it sounded. I rerecorded the vocal. As you know and can tell from this, I can't sing to save my life. I did my best. I had a couple adult beverages to relax me. I kept the gain on the guitar at a low level as I have read, a little gain goes a long way on a recording. I just used what the amp had. Live I drive it with a overdrive pedal and I don't use this amp I use a hotter one. Marshall and Peavey Windsor or Valve King. The Classic 30 is just that. Classic tones. Oh this is sooooo much fun!

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Sounds a lot better! Great job!

I didn't do much to the drums. Just ran them through Addictive Drums, humanized them a little so the hits varied in velocity and time so it wasn't so robotic, and add a few cymbal hits and the toms on the breakdown part. It's either the default kit or one that I put together myself. I sent TR 2 files and let him pick which sound he liked better.

If anyone else wants that kind of thing done and has a MIDI file, let me know.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote