Notifications
Clear all

Apple is for artists

16 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@muchojackdaniels)
Topic starter  

People I have been reading some of the posts on this forum and I realize that what if everyone had a mac. The new Leopard sucks, but the softwares that come with Apple are exactly what a start up musician would need. It's a little expensive, but I compare Mac and PC to cars with automatic and manual transmissions.

(@ejwebb)
Trusted Member

People I have been reading some of the posts on this forum and I realize that what if everyone had a mac. The new Leopard sucks, but the softwares that come with Apple are exactly what a start up musician would need. It's a little expensive, but I compare Mac and PC to cars with automatic and manual transmissions.

I just got a Mac and like it alot - not sure why you say Leopard sucks, but then I have never used Mac before so nothing to compare it to. I am liking the experience better than Windows - although it has not been without its issues...

I don't get your analogy. To me, while it is a bit more work on your part, manual transmissions are much more fun to drive and help you feel closer to the road and the machine, enhancing the the driving experience. Automatic transmissions are more convenient - but you lose some of the experience. To each his own - but still not sure how this relates to computer operating systems...

Artist or not, a computer is just a tool and people have different preferences - it is not what tool you use but what you do with it. It's kind of like saying "Les Paul's are for musicians" - true for some, not for others ...

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

bah :roll:
thanks, but no thanks.
There's nothing wrong with PCs.
I got into computors primarily for online gaming. good luck selling Apple to that crowd.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

How many PC Emulators are there for a mac?
And how many mac emulators are there for a PC?
Exactly ;)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Exactly ;)

Which has everything to do with market share and nothing to do with technical superiority.

Personally, I'm a computer guy, and the architecture of the Mac OS is far superior to that of the PC on technical and user interface grounds. But Bill Gates knows how to market and Apple simply doesn't. I honestly believe that Apple could own the market by selling the OS unbundled from the hardware to work on any intel system. But they seem to prefer to keep tight control over their driver development instead.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Exactly ;)

Which has everything to do with market share and nothing to do with technical superiority.

Personally, I'm a computer guy, and the architecture of the Mac OS is far superior to that of the PC on technical and user interface grounds. But Bill Gates knows how to market and Apple simply doesn't. I honestly believe that Apple could own the market by selling the OS unbundled from the hardware to work on any intel system. But they seem to prefer to keep tight control over their driver development instead.
Indeed, but technical superiority doesn't help me find software to do an obscure task :)

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Indeed, but technical superiority doesn't help me find software to do an obscure task :)

Unless you're using your computer to drive non-standards compliant external hardware, there's darn little you can't find software to do on the mac.

Except games.

Most computers aren't used for obscure taks. But because of the hardware independence of the MS software, businesses can get licensing really inexpensively, combined wtih bulk hardware puchase agreements, and Mac, with it's proprietary hardware requirements simply can't compete.

It really is about how the two systems are marketted, and not much else.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Unless you're using your computer to drive non-standards compliant external hardware, there's darn little you can't find software to do on the mac.

Except games.

Most computers aren't used for obscure taks. But because of the hardware independence of the MS software, businesses can get licensing really inexpensively, combined wtih bulk hardware puchase agreements, and Mac, with it's proprietary hardware requirements simply can't compete.

It really is about how the two systems are marketted, and not much else.
Does that not lead back to the original point about emulation?

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Before you judge you need to use a mac for a while. I know some people who were previously die hard PC users. Now all of a sudden they are die hard Mac users. How many Mac users to you know that are PC converts? Exactly. Macs are for people who don't want to mess around. They have a job to do and the computer needs to work all the time, every time. No defragging. No antivirus. No compatibility issues. I know there are some issues with certain legacy hardware but that is to be expected. There's a reason they call it "legacy".

Incidentally, Windows XP tends to run more stable on a Mac. Why? Proprietary hardware. No driver issues. Macs are put together to work. PCs? You take your chances buying a video card that may not jive with your chipset.(an extreme example I know.)

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Look, as a musician with a computer you probably care about plugins. PC has vastly more plugins availlable then mac. I myself rather do a viruscheck once a week then be stuck with less artistic options. But that's just me, I'm sure there are people who are so inmensely important and busy that they can't afford the five minutes a week for that and rather spend those five extra minutes with limited musical software...

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Look, as a musician with a computer you probably care about plugins. PC has vastly more plugins availlable then mac.
I really don't believe that is true.

I've yet to find a VST, RTAS or Audio Unit plug-in that I can't make work in Logic on a Mac.

The whole point of the plug-in is that they are hardware and OS independent modules.

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Not be elitist in any way but the plugins I've found, even the free ones, have been far superior to the ones available for PC, simply because the industry is predominently Mac. In fact there are many really nice free plugins that are Mac only. There are even some audio hardware that are Mac only. For that matter many Digidesign products were slow to come into the PC world.

Apogee's "budget interface" the duet is currently Mac only. This is no lightweight piece of gear. The A/D converters are, of course, top notch and the preamps are very fine as well.

I know that there are equally good products for PC but they are generally in the realm of boutique gear.

I own a Mac and PC and have owned several of both. Mac has always been the better performer as far as audio goes. PC's great for web surfing, gaming and the like.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

yeah well, my lawyer can beat up your lawyer... 8)

guess I'm just a hobbyist, when i become an "artist", i'll consider getting a Mac.
the argument is pointless really, if you are reading this online you already have one or the other and most won't change if something already works fine for them, so the post really is kinda coming from a "mine is better than yours" angle.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

As I said before, you need to own one or at least use one for an extended period of time to appreciate a Mac. I don't have problems with my PC. At least not as often as some do. I've had occasional hiccups with the Mac but nowhere near as often as with a PC. You can't criticize something you are completely unfamiliar with. Not to any degree that someone could take it to heart.

ReplyQuote
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

i bought a toshiba laptop (good one) because i couldnt afford the mac i wanted....and because i had to be able to run 'work related programs' on it to be able to buy it through work....only to find that by the time i had to buy the crap to make it work it was the same price as the mac and now i find that compatability issues with vista means i cant run the work programs ANYWAY!!! :evil: not happy jan....

shouldve got the mac.... :(

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2