Clear all

Background noise when recording acoustic guitar

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@ricki)
Topic starter  

Hi!
I'm having some ploblem with background noise when recording my acoustic guitar. I just use a simple computer mic and the computer to record. Is the mic the problem? Would a real mic record with a cleaner sound?

If a new mic is what you think is the soulution, which mic should I get? I don't know anythink about mics...

(@jonnyt)
Reputable Member

I'm sure the mic that came with the computer was not designed for recording an acoustic guitar.  

A condensor mic is what you need, and I would say spend as much money as you are comfortable spending, based upon how much you plan on doing this, and the desired end result.  What are you going to do with the recording???

E doesn't = MC2, E = Fb

Music "Theory"? "It's not just a theory, it's the way it is!"

Jonny T.

ReplyQuote
(@strunglikeahorse)
Eminent Member

Firstly, as said by Jonnyt, your main problem is that it's a PC mic.  So yes a 'real' mic will improve things somewhat.  The main factor to consider with a real mic is the pickup pattern.  Many mic's are what is called "Omnidirectional" so they'll pick up everything and anything within a certain radius.  For acoustic guitar this is good as you'll get some of the room ambience.  But it is also bad because you'll get the whir and hum of your PC.  If you want just the sound of the guitar, you'd want to get a Unidirectional mic, and aim it directly at the sound-hole.  You won't get any background noise, or room ambience, or fingering/fretting noises (well not much anyway).  So it just depends on which you want :)

- Paul

Who sucked out all my mids?!

http://www.soundclick.com/chimpspanner

ReplyQuote
(@ricki)
Topic starter  

I'm sure the mic that came with the computer was not designed for recording an acoustic guitar.  

A condensor mic is what you need, and I would say spend as much money as you are comfortable spending, based upon how much you plan on doing this, and the desired end result.  What are you going to do with the recording???

I'm just going to record some pieces of songs and try to put it together in a program. Just for fun.

ReplyQuote