Basic Recording

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

If I wanted to get into some basic recording(i.e. recording some live jams), what sort of stuff would I need. Would I need a multitrack recorder, and if so, would one of those 4-track cassette ones work? I don't want to spend much money, just want to be able to go back and listen to the cool stuff that happens in jams.

(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

Those tape 4 tracks work great and have a relatively short learning curve compared to the digital multitrackers I've used. You don't have to worry as much about levels with tape and the lack of options and menus saves you a lot of time.
Just try to get at least 2 inputs (ideally at least 1 XLR) or a stereo input (then get a mixer to let you run multiple lines in at once). It can be very tedious and limiting if you can't run 2 mic's or a mic and an instrument in. 4 at once is even better, but unnecessary for your purpose.

Then a mic or 2, a Behringer 8500 will do to start. A Shure SM57 or SM58 will last a lifetime.

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Can you usually record on more than one track at a time on those 4 track recorders, or are the diffrerent channels strictly for overdubbing? If they can only record on one at a time, would I need a small mixer to record different insturments at the same time?

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

If you do go with a 4 track (digital or tape) you should be able to use all of the channels at the same time. What might be a good Idea is to get a cheap mixer (maybe a 12 channel for about $100.) that way you could do a simple submix for, say, the Drums to one of the tracks on the recorder do a mix for the guitar and bass onto two tracks and vocals and bgs to the final track. Maybe this is too complicated but I think you get the idea. You'll have way more control over the mix. If you're in the US, check out some of the recording packages they have usually for a deal. It's worth your while and might save you some money.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote