Becoming a neo luddite ...

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I had been thinking it would be nice to have a simple recording setup in my practice area. My computer is not in my practice area, and in any case, I wanted something where I was not distracted by the computer or the recording process. I just got myself a Tascam 414 off ebay last week, and it seems to be just the ticket. I can still do a backing track and record over it, or record along with my Roland PMA-5, it records a lot better than the old cassette/radio I was using, but the setup is still very easy, and easy to switch between projects too .. just change the tape :-)

Anyway, I though it interesting that I was finding this "old" technology quite useful and practical, so I thought I would share my experience...anyone else on the same boat?

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I love tape.

Sometimes you just want to 'press record' and get going before the mood/thought leaves. Can't wait for the thing to boot up, launch recording app, etc. I've got one of those 424 MkIII's, and then I went ahead and got a 238s 8trk. Even with the 8, it's just a matter of turning it on, turning on the mixer, and hitting record.

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Sometimes you just want to 'press record' and get going before the mood/thought leaves.

Yes, indeed; that simplicity is real nice. I am sure I will continue to use the computer for anything I want anyone else to hear, but the tape is real nice for just my use, and also to take to my teacher. (I'm getting an old cassette deck off craigslist tomorrow as well, for the conversion to regular audio tape, to complete my "one man's junk is another man's treasure" recording setup :-))

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote