Behringer Xenyx 1002

9 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@kblake)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi all,

I usually record to the pc via a el-chepo pc mike sitting next to my amp via Audacity....

I remember a thread a while ago about the Xenyx range and I was looking at the Xenyx 1002, now to show my complete ignorance on the matter LOL, what is it and how do I use it and do I need anything else ? (mikes, software etc?)

I assume that it connects driectly to the pc via usb ?

Thanks in advance

Keith

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a lot about anything...
Looking for people to jam with in Sydney Oz.......

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

What is it: It is a mixer.
What does it do: it mixes audio signals together and functions as a mic pre-amp.

I think it's best if you'd tell us what it is exactly that you want to do (what instruments, how many at once, what other gear do you have, what quality do you have in mind etc) so we have a clearer idea. Mixers are very common in studios but that doesn't mean you actually need one yourself, it's very dependend on what you want to do.

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Hi Keith
The Xenyx 1002 mixer is just new version of the UB1002 analog mixer with better mic pre-amps.
Read about it here http://www.behringer.com/1002/index.cfm?lang=ENG
The output (line out) of the mixer is connected to line in port on the soundcard ( not USB port).

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@kblake)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the replies Arjen & Kalle,

All I really want to do is record some rhythm tracks and just me and my Strat and then record / practice some lead stuff over it..I have plenty of backing tracks but I want to do my own for the experience / practice.

I don't have anyother instruments or a drum machine (yet :D ).

Thanks

Keith

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

If all you want to do is record electric guitar then a mixer is no good at all. What kind of stuff do you have for your strat? Any amp or modeling device?

ReplyQuote
(@kblake)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Arjen,
I have a Fender Strat (Mexican) a Vamp-2 into a Marshall MG15DFX.

I recorded these http://members.optusnet.com.au/keithblake/ with my acoustic plugged into the Marshall and a cheap computer mic stiing on the floor next to the amp into Audacity.

Thanks

Keith

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Oh, you don't need anything at all to make decent recordings. Get yourself a stereo cable with two 1/4" plugs at one end and one 1/8" (stereo) plug at other end. Plug your guitar into the V-amp, and run the cable from the L/R out of the V-amp into the Line-in of your soundcard. Make sure the cab sims are enabled on the V-amp and you're good to go. If you do want to burn money either get a good soundcard if you don't have so already or get a better modeler.

But again, to start recording you're good to go.

Your accoustic recording sounds ok but you might want to mic it directly, without using the amp. If the electronics on the guitar are decent you can plug it in the V-amp and but it on bypass, effectively sending it directly into your soundcard.

ReplyQuote
(@kblake)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, I will give it a try...

BTW

Did you listen to the 2 sound clips I did? I am playing around with stuff from Little Brothers (Doug Jones) old web page..

Thanks

Keith

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Hi Keith
I agree with Arjen, use the V-Amp 2 and connect it directly to the soundcard as Arjen describes.
When you use it with the Acoustic/electric guitar, use it in clean amp mode or in pre amp bypass mode (press Tuner and Tap simultaniosly).

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote