Skip to content
First Acoustic Reco...

Notifications
Clear all

First Acoustic Recording - How's This Sound?

22 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Please let me know how this short little snippet sounds. I don't have good monitors connected to my PC, and while I don't expect my recordings to be studio quality, I'm still hoping to get a reasonable tone for personal use.

Acoustic Test 1

Details:
Seagull Folk guitar into twin MXL 990 mics, connected to an M-Audio MobilePre USB and recorded with Audacity. I used the "normalize" feature to equalize the stereo channel volumes, then zapped it with dash of compression to smooth things out.

One mic at the bridge angled slightly away from the soundhole, the other was at the neck joint angled parallel with the neck. Other suggestions for mic placement?

Oh, if anyone's interested, the tune is my own DADGAD arrangement of Freres Jacques, which I play as a lullaby for my kids.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Sounds great Mitch. That's the quality of tone I'm looking for in acoustic recordings. Great playing too.

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Excellent sound quality, nothing to complain whatsoever. :)

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Sounds really good Mitch. The acoustic guitar comes through perfect. I wouldn't change a thing. 8) You're really getting good with the DADGAD tuning too! :D Keep it up!

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the support, guys. Glad to know the sound is good.

Now I'm gonna see how these MXLs handle my 12-string. :D

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Hey Mitch, if it's not to much trouble, could you record a little progression for me with just one of the mics? I'm looking at a M-Audio MobilePre USB, but only one mic is in my near future, not two, because I need to keep some money for the fall semester.

Thanks,

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

Hey Mitch, if it's not to much trouble, could you record a little progression for me with just one of the mics? I'm looking at a M-Audio MobilePre USB, but only one mic is in my near future, not two, because I need to keep some money for the fall semester.

Thanks,

Paul

Look into Behringer mics. They are usually very cheap and have decent quality.

oktay

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks,

Paul

Hey Paul, I'll email something to you in a couple minutes.

ReplyQuote
(@roadwolf)
Eminent Member

Sounds great! What type of mic and other recording equipment are you using?

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hi Roadwolf,

Be sure to check out the "details" section in my original post.

The MXL 990s are relatively inexpensive condenser mics (mine were free), and they get power from the MobilePre, which in turn is powered by the USB connection to the computer. It's great - no batteries, no power adapters! I also used the cheapest Musician's Friend "low Z" mic cables. I have no idea what "low Z" means, but they work fine. And the recording software is Audacity, which also free.

Cheers,
Mitch

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Very good tone Mitch :D I have a MXL V63MBP ( it can use phantom power OR a 9volt battery) They have some nice, inexpensive mics :D

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

To me it's a tad bassy.

Or rather, the bass is a bit dominant or loud.

:?

But maybe my ears aren't as well trained as you guys.

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Clazon. May I ask what type of system (speakers, etc.) you're listening with? On my PC with a subwoofer and satellite speakers (Cambridge Soundworks gear) I hear a lot of bass, but when I hooked up regular stereo speakers through a small power amp, it was much more refined.

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I had the Cambridge system also,it sounded nice but had a bit to much bass .I always listen to anything I record on a regular sound system and the car stereo :D

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Dog - that's good advice. :)

Also remember I didn't EQ this at all, just recorded dry and compressed a little bit. It could be that the compression brought up the bass too much, but I probably need to play some more with mic positioning.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2