Clear all

Recording an Acoustic From an Amp?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I recently decided to plug in my acoustic/electric into the effects loop of my amp, to bypass the amps preamp, and only use the one on my guitar. I got a great tone, and would like to record a few guitar parts with it. Not for great quality or anything, just so that I have a way to lay down the guitar parts intsead of tabbing them out.

Anyway, my amp is a Fender Princeton Chorus. Mono and Stereo Send/Return jacks, and a headphones jack. No line out or anything.

I plug the guitar into the stereo return of the effects loop. Now I want to record the songs into my laptop using Audacity. Thing is I don't know how to connect it to my laptop.

I have a V-Amp, that I was going to use. I wanted to connect the AUX in of that to my amp, and run the lineout of the V-amp into the line-in of my computer. But it's not working.

Can I go straight from the amp to the laptop? I have the proper sized input for the latptop just to let you know.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

You can connect the headphone out from the Amp to line in on the soundcard.
It normally works fairly good, but you need to adjust the output level of the amp to avoid overdrive the line in port. Just use your ears, you will hear when overdrive.

You could also use the V-Amp as a pre-amp between guitar and soundcard.
Connect the guitar to guitar input of the V-Amp and V-Amp line out to soundcard line in.
But you need to reduce the guitar input gain of the V-Amp (described in the manual).

But, in all thses cases you need to use a stereo cable between soundcard line and line out/headphone out of amp and V-Amp.

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote