Notifications
Clear all

Brand new radio production studio..need help please

8 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@shane_whitecloud)
Topic starter  

Hello all. I'm new to these forums, as I was searching for an answer to my problem, perhaps you could assist me. I will list out all the items I have in my new little production studio, and maybe you could tell me what I have hooked up wrong. I'm not getting anything out of my monitors.

Here's what I have:

Behringer Xenyx 1622fx mixer
Marshall MXL v69 Mogami mic
E-MU 1212m soundcard in my computer
JBL Control 5 monitors
Crown XLS 202 amp

Software I use for radio production is Adobe Audition 3

Here's how I have it hooked up:

JBL control 5 monitors into Crown Amp
Crown Amp into Control Room Out on the mixing board
1/4" from Main Out on mixer to 1/4" Line In on E-MU card
1/4" from Line Out on E-MU card to 1/4" Line In 5/6 on mixer
mic into channel 1 of board

With this set up I can hear myself talk through my microphone through the JBL's, but I get no sound from the computer through the JBL's. It doesn't record in Adobe either. I'm assuming the brunt of the problem lies in my connection to and from my E-MU sound card. Not sure where I went wrong, but I'm frustrated. I'm not a IT guy, I'm just a on-air DJ for a local radio station who wants to be able to do some of my production work at home, lol. Please help! Thanks!

(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Here's how I have it hooked up:

JBL control 5 monitors into Crown Amp
Crown Amp into Control Room Out on the mixing board
1/4" from Main Out on mixer to 1/4" Line In on E-MU card
1/4" from Line Out on E-MU card to 1/4" Line In 5/6 on mixer
mic into channel 1 of board

With this set up I can hear myself talk through my microphone through the JBL's, but I get no sound from the computer through the JBL's.

That's because you're routing the sound output directly to the speakers from the mixer. Try this:

Mixer Main ( or Controll Rm / line) Out -> E-MU line in -> E-Mu line out -> Crown Amp -> speakers

Most software like Audition requires you to specifically indicate which tracks you want to record on ( called "arming the tracks" ) before you click the red record button. Make sure you're doing that.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@shane_whitecloud)
Topic starter  

Thank you very much! That got everything working, though instead of going from main or control out to the line in, I went from channel insert 1 on the back, which channel 1 is what my mic is running through and it seems to be working finally, although I have no control over the levels and the only control I have over the volume is using the trim knob. Would you have any advice about how I may be able to get my volume adjustment running through the actual volume sliders? And are you familiar with E-MU 1212m by chance? If so, what are the best settings to use in the Patchmix DSP for optimum performance?

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Thank you very much! That got everything working, though instead of going from main or control out to the line in, I went from channel insert 1 on the back, which channel 1 is what my mic is running through and it seems to be working finally, although I have no control over the levels and the only control I have over the volume is using the trim knob. Would you have any advice about how I may be able to get my volume adjustment running through the actual volume sliders? And are you familiar with E-MU 1212m by chance? If so, what are the best settings to use in the Patchmix DSP for optimum performance?

The Insert is designed to be used with a "Y" cable to apply a rack effect to an individual channel. It's placed so you can "insert" the effect before all the volume and EQ controls. To be able to actually mix with all the channels on the board, you'll need the Main or Control Room outputs going in to the right and left inputs of the E-mu, and the right and left outputs of the e-mu driving the amp and the speakers.

I'm not familiar with that particular card, so I'm not able to help with tweaks on the software. I've just had a bit of experience on the hardware end of the equation ;)

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

ReplyQuote
(@shane_whitecloud)
Topic starter  

Ok, got it working through the actual mixer faders now, and with the configuration you've describeds for me I can hear myself through the monitors as well. But now my computer is not recognizing a recording device in the control panel/sound options and Adobe isn't responding to me talking through the mic, AKA no levels or anything in Adobe Audition when I speak into the mic. Not sure, but I believe it's something I need to change in the software configuration because the software can see me talking, and I'm able to mute myself through the E-MU Patchmix DSP software program on my computer, so it's something cutting me off between the program itself and the rest of my computer. I'm almost afraid to just start clicking options in case I screw something up, but I'll look online for a manual dealing specifically with that software and see if that may be the case.

ReplyQuote
(@shane_whitecloud)
Topic starter  

May have found something here! It's for Adobe Audition 1.5 and I'm using 3, but I'm sure when it comes to connections these are both similar enough, since we use 1.5 at the radio station too.

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bbe0e3f

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

May have found something here! It's for Adobe Audition 1.5 and I'm using 3, but I'm sure when it comes to connections these are both similar enough, since we use 1.5 at the radio station too.

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bbe0e3f

You'd probably be better off doing it the way the manual recommends. Audition 3 uses ASIO as its primary I/O protocol, while 1.5 uses the older and less efficient WDM drivers.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Audition/3.0/help.html

The section "Setting up Adobe Audition", subsection "Connecting to inputs and outputs," seems to have the information you need.

ReplyQuote
(@shane_whitecloud)
Topic starter  

Thank you very much! You've been extraordinarily helpful! 5 Stars bro

ReplyQuote