Clear all

running a portastudio into a PC?

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I have a Tascam digital studio. I don't like it much, the interface is cumbersome to me. I recently messed around with garageband on a mac at work and it was pretty cool. Sadly I' don't know much about recording.

So my questions:

1. Is garageband available on PC? What other software is good and either free or relatively cheap? I'd only consider paying for it if it's really good and I like it (a la garageband).
2. Is it possible for me to run the TASCAM into my PC to act as a bit of a mixing board? Are there any downsides to this? Benefits? What cables do I need? I have a laptop, btw, Vista equipped. Not ideal I know but I'm not about to win any Grammys.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

(@alangreen)

Is it possible for me to run the TASCAM into my PC to act as a bit of a mixing board? Are there any downsides to this? Benefits? What cables do I need? I have a laptop, btw, Vista equipped. Not ideal I know but I'm not about to win any Grammys.

I used to run a tape-based Portastudio straight into the Line-in on a PC using a phono -> 3.5mm stereo lead

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@bloos66)
Reputable Member

Hi,

welcome to the big wide world of recording into a PC/Mac. Let me tell what I use which will perhaps give you some ideas. As for software, Garageband on the Mac, and Cakewalk GuitarTracks 3 on the PC. BTW, Cakewalk have lots of different recording software tools, most of them are pretty decent, not sure about the price though.

1) Line6 Toneport UX2 via USB - great product, great software, very easy to use - allows you to record mic and instrument at the same time. Has VST/AU plug-ins for PC/MAC. Love it, lots of instrument and amp models as well.

2) Behringer Mixer (Xenyx 1002) - I use the Line-Out function to connect to the PC/Mac audio IN port and record. I can either record the whole mix as one track, or I can record single tracks onto the PC/MAC and mix afterwards.

3) Behringer DI box (DI100) - Connect guitar to it and then output into PC/MAC Audio-In. Same for mic.

4) Roland Cube30x amp - Use headphone Out to connect to PC/MAC Audio-In

Lots of options. I'd say that your TASCAM would at least have an Audio/Monitor-Out connection which you use to connect to the PC/MAC. The easiest software to use to record tracks on the PC is Audacity, it's free, easy to use and has some effects as well.

Good luck, and if you need any more info, please ask.

ReplyQuote