Clear all

can you blow a sound card

21 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@frank2121)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

i think i blew my soun card is that possible i cant get any sound out of the speakers i tried hooking the mic up to the computer true the amp and now i hear nothting need a bit of help here lads (is it settings)

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Yeah, you could have fried it. What was your set up and settings?

Can you hear the mic through the amp?

ReplyQuote
(@frank2121)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

i can here the mic through the amp without going through the computer and the speakers are working through another computer as for the settings i dont know or even where or how to look,, is there a way to check the sound card and if gone would it be easy to fit another sound card

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Where did you come out of your amp into the PC? Was it line level?

Have you tried other PC speakers on the same (problem) PC?

To check settings, double click on the speaker icon on in your task tray.

How much input do you have on your Line In (how far up is it)?

ReplyQuote
(@frank2121)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

yes tried speakers on other computer and they are ok
the line in is all way up and i came out of the amp from the headphone socket into where you put the mic in the computer

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

You have the card selected as your output, right?

If you get sound from your normal media, you might have just blown the input on the card.

If you get no sound out of it at all, you probably blew the whole thing.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Sure you haven't muted the sound card? :lol:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@frank2121)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Sure you haven't muted the sound card? :lol:

Yes i think i may have done so Permanently :lol:

nice one greybeard

ReplyQuote
(@thetallcoolone)
Estimable Member

Frank, where are you at with your soundcard problems?
Any improvement?

http://www.soundclick.com/thetallcoolone

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Yes, Frank, I'm wondering, too, if you've gotten this sorted out yet.

If not, please post specifics of what the status of the problem is, and I'll PM some folks who might be able to help and ask them to visit the thread after you've done that.

We want to get you up and recording so you can work on your Jam Incubator part. :D

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Frank,

I am going to assume you have XP on your computer.

Make sure you have your audio mic plugged ALL THE WAY into the pink mini/or mic indicated plug on your sound card. Obviously, we would like to be using a working mic. :wink:

Click Start and open Control Panel. Find and click on Sounds and Audio Devices. That should open a Sounds and Audio Devices properties box. On the Volume tab, click Advanced in the Device Volume section. In Playback options make sure your mic is muted. (Don't ask why. :D ) Next Click Options and then Properties. Select Recording and check in the lower window that you can at least see the Master/"What You Hear", Mic, Analong Mix (Line In) controls. Make sure Microphone is checked in the Level column.

Go to the Sounds and Audio Devices properties box tab labeled Voice and about 2/3rds the way down is a button called Test Hardware. Click it and follow the directions. That will test your sound card. You might also want to use headphones or computer speakers to hear the audio but DON'T have any of the volumes more than half way up/down, whichever.

Let us know what you find out.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@frank2121)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I am sorry I did not see the post until now I got the sound card working thanks for the reply however iam having problems recording
I have a mic from playstation singstar (karaoke) it has a 1/8 jack on it so I put into pink hole on computer (mic) and no go, so I then put it into blue (line in I think) and without the line in muted I can hear my test on speakers then I muted it and tried to record and nothing happens
So I then plugged the mic into the input on a crate GT15/15R guitar amp 15 watt I think and the mic works fine, so I then take a lead from the headphone jack on the amp and reduced it from ¼ to 1/8 and plugged it into the line in (blue) hole on the computer this is where I lost all sound I have been told I can plug the electric guitar direct into computer line in but decided not to try it out just in case

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

It sounds like it might be the 1/4 to 1/8 adapter. Check to see if the signal is getting changed from mono to stereo or vice versa.

ReplyQuote
(@thetallcoolone)
Estimable Member

The adaptor might be at fault, it's worth checking out.
Did you follow Bish's instructions and made sure your line in and mic are activated under the RECORDING section?
(I don't have XP so I can't really say exactly where it is)

And by the way, you can't damage anything by just plugging your guitar directly into the soundcard.
The signal level is so low, it can't overload the input of the soundcard.

http://www.soundclick.com/thetallcoolone

ReplyQuote
(@frank2121)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

no to the adaptor question because i was only using the adaptor when i was going through the guitar amp the mic has a 1/8 plug on it allready
so are you suggesting not to go through the guitar amp and go direct in to computer if so i have tried that and no joy

yes i have done all the bish recommended but should line in be muted ?

ready to give it flying lessons shortly

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2