Notifications
Clear all

can you blow a sound card

21 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@thetallcoolone)
Estimable Member

... yes i have done all the bish recommended but should line in be muted ? ...
Well, yes and no.
If it is not muted, do you hear the sound of your guitar?
If you do hear it, then all is well with your system and it is just a matter of setting up your software properly.
If you don't then maybe your computer is not setup properly or you actually have a faulty soundcard.

Verify if the sound goes thru when LineIn is not muted and then comeback with which software you are using to record.
And it would be nice to know what type of PC you are using and its configuration (CPU, RAM, etc...) this info will be helpful determining if you can do what you want to do.

http://www.soundclick.com/thetallcoolone

ReplyQuote
(@frank2121)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

ok just checked it if i dont mute line in i can hear the guitar on the computer speakers thats going direct into computer

would be nice to know what type of PC you are using and its configuration (CPU, RAM, etc...)?

im not great with computers so if you tell me how to find this out i will post it

does 1.10 GHz 256MBof ram
sound default device / record sis7018 and midi mpu-401
does this mean any thing ?

ReplyQuote
(@thetallcoolone)
Estimable Member

ok just checked it if i dont mute line in i can hear the guitar on the computer speakers thats going direct into computer

would be nice to know what type of PC you are using and its configuration (CPU, RAM, etc...)?

im not great with computers so if you tell me how to find this out i will post it

does 1.10 GHz 256MBof ram
sound default device / record sis7018 and midi mpu-401
does this mean any thing ?
OK! So now we know your setup is correct for the guitar and that your soundcard is not kaput. :D

From what you've written, your PC is powerful enough to be able to record your guitar while playing a backing track.
(some more RAM would greatly help. If you can bring it up to 512Mb it would be better.)

Now we need to know what software you will be using to record yourself.
Most likely it is only a software setup that is wrongly configure.

You need to mute LinIn when you record in your software because it is thru the software that the sound will be generated.
If you're just connected to your PC and want to hear yourself then LineIn can't be muted (you're actually muting the output of LineIn, not its input)
As Bish explained, you have two sections in the setup of your soundcard, the PLAYBACK section and the RECORDING section.
To have the input of LineIn active, so the sound of your guitar can get in your PC, then LineIn can't be muted in the RECORDING section. In the PLAYBACK section, when you mute something, you're only muting the sound going out of the PC (like when you turn down the sound of the radio, the airwavew are still going in the radio but no sound is coming out)

Now, in the recording software, what you will hear coming out of it is from the WAVE section of your soundcard (like when you play an MP3, a wave file, the sound from a video, etc...) so if you have your LinIn in the PLAYBACK section un-muted, you will hear both outputs, from the software and directly from the LinIn. You don't want that to happen because it will get confusing. You won't know if it is the sound of the recording or the direct sound of your guitar.

I hope this explains a bit more how it all works.
Comeback with what software you will be using and we'll help you out setting it up so you can record and hear yourself.

Yves

ReplyQuote
(@frank2121)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

sorry i for got i have kristal and audacity both installed

ReplyQuote
(@thetallcoolone)
Estimable Member

sorry i for got i have kristal and audacity both installed
Well, from here someone else will have to take up the discussion.
I do have Krystal but I never really worked with it.
I just tried it but not knowing how it works I can't really help you out.

And from what I've read here, most people seem to be using Audacity so...

What I can tell you is you have to select your LineIn as the input for your software and take it from there.
There might be some latency (a delay between your actual playing and the time you hear it thru the computer speakers)
There should be a way to minimize it within the software.
Again, someone with more knowledge of it will be helpful.

So, you can either ask away here or go to the Audacity community forum to ask for help there.

Best of luck Frank, you're almost there.

Cheers
Yves

ReplyQuote
(@frank2121)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

yves thaks ever so much for your help getting closer every day

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2