Notifications
Clear all

can't get new mixer to work :(

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@verilath)
Topic starter  

so i just bought a brand new out of the box Alesis Multimix 8 usb power mixer and some brand new sure sm57 and 52beta mics (for recording drums). all in all i spent close to $900 on brand new equipment and when I plug in the 4 mics to the 4 mixer mic preamps and power it up and even switch on the phantom power, i get no responce or pickup indicators on the mixer. the led lights dont show any levels when i turn gain or volumes up at all. i have tried messing arround with all the settings but i cant get any sign that the mixer is picking up the mics input at all. Im kind of new to recording setup, but it seems to be a pretty basic rig. AM i doing something wrong?

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I bet it is something basic and simple. probably counter intuitive. that is what messes me up all the time.
I do not know the mixer. have you tried searching for a forum for that product? someone, somewhere had the same problem/

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@verilath)
Topic starter  

yeah, i found one forum for that specific brand but, they shut down recently due to inactivity. was hopeing someone here could help. i dont have the mixer plugged into any pa speakers or anything, rather im just trying to run it through my pc for recording.... do i need to have it hooked up to some sort of line out for it to respond? i didnt think i had to. plz help

ReplyQuote
(@cruisemates)
Eminent Member

Most mixers allow you to plug mics or line level plugs into each channel - there is usually a switch that say "mic/line" make sure you have the inputs for the channels the mics are plugged into on "mic" - if they are switched to "line" then the mics won't work. Also - you don't need phantom power with sm57s - they are dynamic mics.

ReplyQuote
(@switch10)
Trusted Member

yeah, i found one forum for that specific brand but, they shut down recently due to inactivity. was hopeing someone here could help. i dont have the mixer plugged into any pa speakers or anything, rather im just trying to run it through my pc for recording.... do i need to have it hooked up to some sort of line out for it to respond? i didnt think i had to. plz help

you don't need a line out.

are you running it through the usb to cubase LE that came with the mixer?

I have the same exact mixer, and im not having any trouble. make sure the 2 tk to mixer, 2 tk to ctrl room, and mix to ctrl room buttons are depressed, also make sure your main mix vol is up, and the ctrl room vol is up. If you've done this and it still doesnt work, send it back and get a replacement.

Dave

ReplyQuote