Couple of Audacity questions

14 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 mmdm
(@mmdm)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Can Audacity not handle .wma files? When I try to either open or import this kind of music file, it just plays a loud short burst of sound. I've been having to play the files and record them while they are playing and then save that, to be able to do anything with them.

Also, what is best to set on the Audio I/O preferences page as the playback and recording devices? By default, mine had Microsoft Sound Mapper set for playback, and Realtek AC97 Audio (my sound card) for recording. I don't know why it would choose MS sound mapper for playback instead of my sound card, but should I just leave it like that?

THanks,
Melisa

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Project 5 is like that, you can only import .wav or MIDI files.

I'd check the spec's on Audacity. If it doesn't allow it, try converting the file to .wav or .MP3.

What is the file? ....and how large is it?

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Worst case scenario, if you don't have a converter and the free ones don't cut it (I generally have that problem), you can turn off all your windows sounds (mouse clicks etc.), open Audacity, hit record and then play the wma in whatever player you usually use. From there you can then either use it straight away or export it as an MP3 for easy importing later. I do it for FLAC files all the time (there's some hideous converters out there for FLACs, this is quicker and easier than trying to find a good one :wink:) and to save registering on sound sample sites that play WAV previews...

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
 mmdm
(@mmdm)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Worst case scenario, if you don't have a converter and the free ones don't cut it (I generally have that problem), you can turn off all your windows sounds (mouse clicks etc.), open Audacity, hit record and then play the wma in whatever player you usually use. From there you can then either use it straight away or export it as an MP3 for easy importing later. I do it for FLAC files all the time (there's some hideous converters out there for FLACs, this is quicker and easier than trying to find a good one :wink:) and to save registering on sound sample sites that play WAV previews...

Yeah, that's what I've been doing. I set it to record from output I think. I did get email in the middle of one recording though, so I have that funny noise that Samantha's nose (Bewitched) makes when she does any magic right in the middle of a song. :lol: Doesn't matter, because it is just to practice playing along with.

These are either ripped from my cds or downloaded from Napster, so I haven't been able to just convert them. Seems like they should play in Audacity, but maybe that isn't supported, although it does let me open them.

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Just an idea.
Windows Mediaplayer (10-11) should be able to convert .wma format to .wav format.

Kalle

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
 mmdm
(@mmdm)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Just an idea.
Windows Mediaplayer (10-11) should be able to convert .wma format to .wav format.

Kalle

I only seem to have the option (version 10) of converting to .wma or .mp3 and it won't convert them to .mp3 because they are protected files. I don't see an option for converting them to .wav.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but this is related, so....

I want to be able to record (into Audacity) a ripped cut played at a slower speed. (So I can then record my playing along and listen to it back to help correct my playing problems.)

So I should be able to do that using the above instructions, by playing the slowed-down cut in WMP?

Or does Audacity have it's own feature for slowing something down?

Thanks,

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Yes and yes, take your pick :wink:

Anything coming out of your speakers can be recorded in Audacity exactly as it sounds, then saved out as an MP3. Absolutely anything (hence needing to turn off windows beeps, mouse clicks etc.).

Audacity also has a 'change tempo' function which will slow things down without affecting pitch, along with 'change pitch' which won't change speed and 'change speed' which does both tempo and pitch together. All in the effects menu, IIRC, and all full of handy info (semitones for pitch control, rather than percentage etc.)

ReplyQuote
 mmdm
(@mmdm)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but this is related, so....

I want to be able to record (into Audacity) a ripped cut played at a slower speed. (So I can then record my playing along and listen to it back to help correct my playing problems.)

So I should be able to do that using the above instructions, by playing the slowed-down cut in WMP?

Or does Audacity have it's own feature for slowing something down?

Thanks,

Margaret

Yes, I have done exactly that. I do think Audacity has it's own feature for doing that, but I didn't have time to figure it out so just played it slower with MP while recording it. Just be sure to set Audacity to only record what the pc is playing, and not to record through the mic.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

There should be a BPM option somewhere. Mine is set to 120 every time I open a new project so, what ever yours is, just decrease the beats per minute and your set. Or, you can speed it up and make them sound like the chipmunks. :lol:

ReplyQuote
 mmdm
(@mmdm)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

There should be a BPM option somewhere. Mine is set to 120 every time I open a new project so, what ever yours is, just decrease the beats per minute and your set. Or, you can speed it up and make them sound like the chipmunks. :lol:

Found it. You have to select the audio you want to change first, then click Effects/Change Tempo.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Speaking of which... The chipmunks at regular speed :shock: Note the elongation of the syllables to make them more intelligable, which just barely worked :)

(taken from here)

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

:lol:

Still gotta love those Chipmunks!

We had an album of Chipmunks' songs, including the one in that clip, when we were kids. Fun stuff. :D

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
 mmdm
(@mmdm)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Speaking of which... The chipmunks at regular speed :shock: Note the elongation of the syllables to make them more intelligable, which just barely worked :)

(taken from here)
Weird. My only question regarding the chipmunks is WHY? Kids really do have the most awful taste in entertainment, although I couldn't bear the chipmunks even when I was a kid.

ReplyQuote