Notifications
Clear all

Couple Of Newbie Audacity Questions

20 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@peterk1)
Topic starter  

Recently got back into guitar playing after almost 20 years away and have been having a blast setting-up a little digital recording studio. I've done lots of 4-track and 8-track analog recording and am pretty familiar around the gear. One thing I haven't been able to figure out by myself though. In the Audacity tutorials I noticed this little thing.
When you play the two tracks you recorded together, they probably won't be synchronized. This is normal and is not the fault of Audacity. To fix it, you will need to grab the Time Shift tool and slide one of the tracks around until it sounds right.

Wondering why that is? Sounds a little bizarre actually that a track will shift.
Is this typical with digital recording in general or is it just an Audacity thing?

I love Audacity so far. Wondering if people find it sufficient to do serious work. I've fooled around with 3-4 tracks but have yet to try doing something more substantial.

(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Wondering why that is? Sounds a little bizarre actually that a track will shift.
Is this typical with digital recording in general or is it just an Audacity thing?

I love Audacity so far. Wondering if people find it sufficient to do serious work. I've fooled around with 3-4 tracks but have yet to try doing something more substantial.

Audacity is a great little audio editor with multi-track capabilities, but it's not really intended for full blown multi-track recording. The reason that the tracks are out of sync, is because Audacity does no compensation for latency.
latency Similar to propagation delay but broader in application. Used to describe the inherent delay in signal processing as well as software processing. The time it takes for a system or device to respond to an instruction, or the time it takes for a signal to pass through a device. It is how long it takes for a result to happen from a command. In telecommunications it is the length of time it takes packets to traverse the media.

If you want something that's a bit more capable for multitrack, take a look at Kristal - http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/ It's free for non-commercial use.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@peterk1)
Topic starter  

That's awesome. Looks good.

I'll find out later tonight, but can you apply effects in real-time? Basically what I really don't like about Audacity is not being able to tweak reverb while the track is playing.

Is latency in Audacity a given? In the few tracks I did lay down I didn't really notice anything being out of sync.

p.

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Is latency in Audacity a given? In the few tracks I did lay down I didn't really notice anything being out of sync.

In any computer based digital recording system, there's always some latency - UNLESS your card supports and you're using hardware monitoring.

On faster systems, and with a low track count, it's possible that there isn't enough latency for you to hear (up to about 5ms)

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Is there something out there like Krystal for a MAC?

John M

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Audacity does have a Mac version but it sounds like your are looking for something more like Kristal. Do a internet search on "audio mixer software" and you may find a few.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

Doesnt the new OS X come with some sort of audio software (garage band IIRC)?

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Thanks Nils. No GB is $79. Part of the iLife package. I just ran across Apple's Logic, but $999 is a bit steep for what I want to do. I did d/l audiacty and I am using that now. I got Live lite 4 withy my M audio but that program is not intutive and a PIA to use.
Thanks

John M

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

Hrm, I wonder why I was under the impression that it came with then.

My Macs (at work, none at home) are all Panther, so I wasnt sure about the newest.

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

The new one is Tiger and no go on garage band for free. Here is the link to Tiger. Tiger
Mine at home is powerbook G4, here a pc.

John M

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

If you want something that's a bit more capable for multitrack, take a look at Kristal - http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/ It's free for non-commercial use.

Thanks a bunch! Did a remix of a song we were mixing in audacity and really got a bunch of nifty things audacity hasnt.

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Thanks a bunch! Did a remix of a song we were mixing in audacity and really got a bunch of nifty things audacity hasnt.

Glad I could help :D

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I am use to Audacity but I really do like the Kristal GUI. I just can't figure out how to end up with an MP3 output with Kristal. Does anyone know?

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@lee-n)
Estimable Member

As far as I know Krystal only exports WAV so just import the finished mixdown into audacity and do the conversion in that or any other mp3 encoder software.

Lee

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

As far as I know Krystal only exports WAV so just import the finished mixdown into audacity and do the conversion in that or any other mp3 encoder software.

Lee
Good thinking. Thanks

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2