Clear all

Cubase LE problem

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@niklas)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I just got this recording program as bundled software when I bought a multi-fx unit. I seems to be great tool for recording and not too advanced.

My problem is, when I am done recording my project I don't know how to save it as a mp3 or .wav file. First I recorded a rythm track and then a lead track to go over it. The only option I have seen for exporting the music is doing a audio mixdown. But when I choose this option I get a message saying that the right and left locaters must be set. I have no idea what this is or how to fix it.

I don't know how many use Cubase but I thought I would ask here before trying the Cubase forum and being a complete n00b :lol: .

"Talent is luck. The important thing in life is courage."

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

In the main screen with all the tracks you have a 'time bar' above it, that shows the seconds/measure. On it are two triangles, called locators. Drag L1 to the start of your mix and L2 to the end then try again. Make sure you don't reverse them as that results in the same error.

And yeah, Cubase LE is more then usefull, big step-up from Audacity/Kristal.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Hmmm, someone's got themselves a Zoom... :)

Can't help with Cubase I'm afraid, as I haven't bothered installing it yet - I'm happy with Audacity's Run program, hit big round button approach. After having to do a million clicks just to do the basics in CoolEdit it's a welcome relief :)

Has the manual not got a quick-start section?

Arjen: Just off the top of your head, what's the big step up involve? VSTs that work properly is pretty much all I can think of :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@niklas)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thank you Arjen. That was a real simple thing to fix but I couldn't find anything about it in the manual. The quick start manual only goes to the step where you record and playback audio. Nothing about mixing or saving. Of course there is a acrobat reader file but it's not so fun to read an entire manual on the computer screen.

And yes, I bought the Zoom G2.1u. It's exactly what I needed. I havn't had time to play so much with it because when it's summer in Sweden the last thing you want to do is to sit inside. There is a lot of tweaking you can do with so it will take some time to learn everything.

"Talent is luck. The important thing in life is courage."

ReplyQuote
(@leear)
Honorable Member

QUICKER FIX THOUGH ARJEN IS CORRECT..

ON THE MAIN SCREEN JUST CLICK ON A TRACK TO HIGHLIGHT IT, PRESS 'CTRL A' THEN TOOLS, LOCATE ALL SELECTORS (THERE IS A CTRL FUNCTION FOR THIS TOO NOT SURE OFF TOP OF MY HEAD THOUGH)

I RUN CUBASE SX AND ITS AWESOME, I'M THINKING ABOUT DOWNLOADING THIS AUDACITY EVERYONE IS TALKING ABOUT ON HERE JUST FOR FUN TO SEE WHAT IT DOES, BUT STICK WITH CUBASE, ITS AWESOME.......

HINT GO BUY A MOTU INTERFACE (ABOUT 999.00) IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT (I CAN'T) YOU WILL BE ABLE TO RECORD 8 TRACKS AT ONCE OR MORE IF YOU HAVE AN ADAT AS WELL

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

ReplyQuote
(@dsparling)
Reputable Member

I use Cubase, but mostly for MIDI stuff with EWQLSO...

Audacity is a free, open source audio editor, more like SoundForge than CuBase, though you can do basic multi-tracking with it. I tend to use Audacity when I want to do basic audio editing even though I have commercial software that I'll use for more intensive tasks.

http://www.dougsparling.com/
http://www.300monks.com/store/products.php?cat=59
http://www.myspace.com/dougsparling
https://www.guitarnoise.com/author/dougsparling/

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

HINT GO BUY A MOTU INTERFACE (ABOUT 999.00) IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT (I CAN'T) YOU WILL BE ABLE TO RECORD 8 TRACKS AT ONCE OR MORE IF YOU HAVE AN ADAT AS WELL

True. But who can play eight tracks at once? For most of us that would be a perfectly useless though expensive purchase. Audacity is a nice program, fairly great actually for what you have to pay for it. I'd prefer Kristal if I had to use a freeware program, in any case both of them are more then good enough to record some guitar and vocals and slap some FX on them. I'd even go as far as to say the average user has no need at all for programs like Cubase SX.

ReplyQuote
(@leear)
Honorable Member

JUST BECAUSE YOUR AN AVERAGE USER DOESN'T MEAN YOU CAN'T HAVE THE BEST GEAR. I ONLY RECORD MYSELF AND MY BAND AND A FEW OTHER PEOPLE.. MAY ONLY BE ON INSTRUMENT AT A TIME, BUT I HAVE QUALITY, AND CAN EASILY ADD MORE TRAKS. JUST BECAUSE YOU AVERAGE DOESN'T MEAN YOU AHVE TO USE AVERAGE FREEWARE PROGRAMS. I CHOOSE SX BECAUSE OF ALL THE POSSIBILITIES YOU GET FROM IT,

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I never said anything about that, all I say is that for most users it's just not usefull in any way at all. That doesn't mean you shouldn't get whatever you want, I'm just stating the obvious so people who are using freeware programs don't end up thinking they need $700 Sequencers. For what it;s worth, I do use SX3 myself.

But maybe I'm wrong. Can you tell me what features from SX you use that you would not have had with LE or even freeware programs?

ps. No offense, but could you turn the caps-lock key off?

ReplyQuote
(@leear)
Honorable Member

hey sorry caps lock wasn't yelling or anything like that... i'm at work and the program we use we must enter all text in caps, so i just turn it on and leave it not thinking about it when i do other stuff. sorry bout that didn't mean to come off strong.....

and from what i'm hearing, not personal experience, LE and freeware programs, you do not have the flexibility of all VST, Diret X and other plugins, also LE I believe is limited on mastering set ups.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I have both SX3 and LE and plugin-wise they are pretty similar. In any case I can use all VST effects and instruments I have with both of them. As far as mastering goes, no idea. Mastering is a very loosely defined term anyway and every producer seems to have a different concept of it. For what I do I can do both with SX and LE.

The big things that SX have and LE doesn't are things like surround sound support and the ability to make the most out of dual AMD processors. High-end stuff that is great to have in case you'll ever want it, but hardly the stuff the average musician regularly needs. :D

But my personal opinion has always been that you should get the best gear you can reasonably afford. It's better to have a feature you don't use then to miss one you need. But apart from that I can very well understand many people here don't particularly feel like spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars on SX.

ReplyQuote