EQ and Reverb Question

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@matsuemon)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys,
Just curious how you handle EQ in a track together with reverb. For instance, do you recommend EQ'ing the "dry" track first, then adding the reverb, then EQ again? Or, do you wait to EQ until the reverb is added? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

--Jason

(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Ok I'll risk it. You want to use the eq to shape your initial tone. If you can help it at all, tame the sound of the reverb within it's parameters. If you have a fully editable eq, try to adjust the low frequency dampening as this will likely cause the most problems. The high end could also cause your tone to sound shrill. If the reverb has a parameter to adjust the high frequency dampening adjust it there as well. I don't personally think eqing a reverb is a good idea. It'll likely be more trouble than it's worth. It could make the reverb sound very unnatural.

If you're like most people, you'll have to find a happy medium of tone with and without reverb. Assuming of course that you're using the reverb on your amp. I think this is why a lot of guys gig with racks of gear. A reverb with editable parameters makes life a lot easier.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I agree, get your tone first, then add reverb. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote