Clear all

Frustrated with the power of Pro Tools

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

About a year ago I purchased an Mbox 2. It came with Pro Tools. Here's a package deal similar to the one I bought. Mbox2 Factory Bundle

I've managed to record basic stuff on it. Some guitar tracks and voice tracks. Realizing that the software is capable of much more than how I am using it, I'm getting a bit frustrated with it. Based on the results I'm getting, I can easily estimate that it would take me thousands of hours to learn how to use Pro Tools correctly.

I work as a software development project manager. So, I'm not “techno” challenged. However, this tool is SO powerful, I can literally spend months just learning the basics.
All I want to do is import some drum tracks, beats…whatever, and play to them. Maybe record some vocals afterwards. But getting the drums recorded is proving to be a real task for me. (some time ago I did see that there were many drum samples to choose from. I think I found them on a CD that came with the bundle but can not locate it now.)

I've recently tried using MIDI with the Mbox. I was able to connect my Yamaha keyboard to it successfully and had hoped that I could make use of the drum samples. But can not get Pro Tools to records the drum samples at all.

I guess the point of this post is to see if anyone else is having similar issues or am I just over complicating things.

Would I be better off with a less powerful tool?

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Do you mean you have the keybord playing preset rhythms while hooking it up to Protools with MIDI? If so, make sure the keybord is actually sending out MIDI signals, most keybords I know only send out the MIDI date you actually play by default. Either change that and make sure you use a drumsampler in protools (MIDI is code, not sound, so if you use MIDI you must change it back to sound using a sampler) or connect the line-out from the keybord to your audio interface. I suggest going with MIDI as it will probably allow for much higher quality with the right samples.

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I do have MIDI cables from the MIDI Out to the MDI In on the Mbox. I'll get that working I'm sure. I'm just frustrated b'cause I know this thing is capable of so much and I reall suck at using it. I want to be able to produce the musc I hear in my head but taking the first step with this thing is difficult...

I'm just whining.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

I feel your pain Blue,

I recently got into the same predicament. I bought an M-Audio Axiom Midi Controller (keys and pads) and it came bundled with Ableton Live.

The software is so powerful and full of all kinds of buttons and switches etc...Its a whole new world and this is like having a huge set of musical tools at my disposal I don't even know where to begin. I've run through the tutorials, viewed videos online etc and I'm still stuck. I wanted to have a way to make my own drum loops and eventually add ambience with horns or strings (Cello) and other things. But there is simply so much its overwhelming.

What I've found out, is most of these software packs treat each type of sound channel separate. You have Audio channels -vs- MIDI channels or (Tracks). The first being what we think of as sound... (wave form) the second being the MIDI signals running through a virtual instrument making the sound from those signals coming from our device.

For me the beauty of MIDI is that I can correct my imperfect beats/drumming and make it perfect with just a few mouse clicks, which is very hard to do with wave form audio.

Then I can play back over said beat and go with it. Also, I've just discovered I can warp my guitar or other (Audio) tracks to align with the drumming. Then it sounds more like a song... I get frustrated because of all the time I'm spending with the technology and not making the music. I'll play a few minutes worth then take an hour figuring stuff out.

I've also realized I need to play every instrument part over and over again. Drums, Bass, Guitar, Keys, Horns, Strings whatever.. and it takes me multiple takes most times. To help that, I've learned how to make loops, even short 2 or 3 bars worth and play them and record over them improvising stuff (each instrument in its own respective channel). Then I can go back later and splice those different ideas down. Then build those loops with more loops and bring something together and/or keep going with improvising more things... on and on. I'm trying to create more of a sketchpad with my ideas right now than looking at a finished song...y'know?

For me the most important lesson I'm learning is that I'm on a journey with this stuff. Its a process not an event and I'm learning to enjoy the trip instead of being so focused on the destination, because well....this is more of a hobby for me, I'm not looking to become some ProTools/Sonar/Live engineer and find work in a studio. I'm just trying to find a way to let that voice/music out of my head......... Now if the voices will just Shut Up for a few minutes. :wink:

Like I said, I feel it too brother.... small steps is what it'll take. Remember learning guitar? Your first few days? Weeks? How overwhelming it all was? Same thing with this.... You'll get there. :)

D-

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@monetmelly)

Pro tools is the greatest program and the most aggrivating. I thing I can say is pro tools is more audio based not really midi so maybe just rewire it to reason and import it that way. From an Aux to a stero audio track

ReplyQuote