Clear all

Frustration with volume levels through my headphone amp

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I don't have any amps at home (leave ‘em at other peoples' homes) and I practice late at night. So I run my effects processor output to the back in put of this headphone amp:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=live/search/detail/base_pid/240107/

I think run the headphone out jack on my component stereo to the front panel aux input. My headphones come out of the headphone amp. All inputs are with TS cables (guitar cables). The back of the headphone amp has a gain knob and I set it at like 50% with no hiss or anything. On the front the master volume is set pretty low. The sounds from my guitar processor come out of the headphone left cup and that of the hi-fi stereo to the right cup.

The stereo is MUCH louder than the signal from my processor. I've dropped the volume on the actual stereo and even dropped the eq to a lower lever but to no avail. I turn the “fader” to the left trying to stop having such a loud CD playing but it's not working out.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

I thought about buying a device that would attenuate the signal from the Stereo but I don't know. Maybe something like this?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/631239/

But I think that has only one input so that would not help.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I looked at the documentation and I can't find any indication that the amp will take other than instrument, line in or mic level signals.. The direct in and aux in are expecting a flat signal. So in effect the headphone out from your stereo is overdriving the amp no matter how low you make it short of off.

Does your stereo have a line out jack(s) to go to a recorder? if so you should be able to come out of there. Somehow you need to find a line level signal from the stereo. Or attenuate the signal to bring it back down.

I was reading in the docs however that you should be able to input 2 signals and mix then at the headphones buy I wasn't sure where is was saying to connect everything.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Corbind

I just took a Radio Shack stereo dubbing cable (attenuator) and with a couple of adapters to get from my home theater system headphone jack to the line in (instrument) on my M-Audio MobilPreUSB and it worked so that may be your answer.

What I effectively did was went from the stereo 1/4 inch to stereo 1/8 inch then to the cable then to a 1/8 inch stereo to 1/4 inch mono then into the interface.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hey Nils, that's really nice of you to read the manuals and all. J My home stereo does have RCA outs for tape, CD, and auxiliary.

“just took a Radio Shack stereo dubbing cable (attenuator) and with a couple of adapters to get from my home theater system headphone jack to the line in (instrument) on my M-Audio MobilPreUSB and it worked so that may be your answer.

What I effectively did was went from the stereo 1/4 inch to stereo 1/8 inch then to the cable then to a 1/8 inch stereo to 1/4 inch mono then into the interface”

Could you help identify which parts I need to get from Radio Shack? I'll buy ‘em if they work for you.

:D

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I can't find the part number at Radio Shack and I have had it for awhile. The cable I am talking about has a 1/8 inch stereo jack on one end that will go into the CD player headphone jack. The other end has two RCA jacks and the cable in between to attenuate the signal so it does not overdrive the line in of the receiving device. I think they actually call it a dubbing cable that is used for going from one VCR or CD player to another. If you can find that at radio shack then all you need is the adapter to go from 2 RCA jacks to the balanced (stereo) 1/4 that your amp needs. This is that Jack

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote