Clear all

Funny story about my attempt at recording something

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@saryu)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi all, thought I would share my funny little story. I had this bright idea of playing my harmonica into my microphone, hooking the mic through my guitar effects pedal, then from the pedal to the amp and then from the amp headphone output direct to the computer microphone input. Bear in mind that my microphone is a $20 plastic thing designed for using with a computer, not for proper recordings. My plan was that I would record the harmonica with all kinds of cool wah-wah effects and stuff. Well, it didn't turn out quite as I expected! To make it a bit cleaner I removed the effects pedal from the mix, so what you are hearing in the recording is what happens when I plug my microphone into the guitar input jack of the amp and then plug the amp headphone output into the computer microphone input: cricket song.mp3 - 0.20MB
So, does anyone have any tips on how I can hook my microphone through my effects pedal and do cool effects with my harmonica?

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I only hear someone talk about cricket?

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Not knowing what kind of mic you have, I'm a bit at a loss as to what to suggest. However, if I wanted to do this with my gear, I'd plug my mic into the pre-amp, plug the pre-amp into the mixer, and run the effects through the channel effects loop on the mixer.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@saryu)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

@Ignar: That's right, you heard people talking about cricket....somehow the microphone wire has acted as an antenna and picked up on some random radio transmission! I couldn't figure out how to tune it to a different station though :lol:

@Kingpatzer: I only have a little practice amp which doesn't have a separate pre-amp input, so I have no option of plugging in to just the pre-amp (unless I were to pull it apart and rewire it or something, I suppose). I've also played around a bit with the connection from the headphone jack of the amp to the microphone jack of the computer, and I get some problems. Mainly the issue is that the bass sounds are much louder than the treble ones. So to play on the low E string, I have to be ever so gentle or else I will get serious clipping, but to play on the high e string I have to pluck really hard to get an audible sound. I guess it is technically possible to adjust the volume with the pedal depending on which string I am playing, but that's starting to get a little too complicated...

ReplyQuote